Concept Art sketchbook
Hi guys! Need to hear your opinions and ideas for my current project, creating concept art for a big screen adaptation of 'Embassytown' by China Miéville (great book, check it out.)

I will be going through the motions designing the different characters using primary/secondary research. Here is my work so far for the 'Hosts' (aliens).

1- Natural world reference studies, went to see for myself different types of sea creatures.
[Image: Pv2wbAx.jpg]
[Image: w6oQsgQ.jpg]
[Image: f1PWAUd.jpg]
2-Starting to develop the aliens themselves, 'from the shadows'.
[Image: 64Upp9b.jpg]
[Image: 4xfiGxI.jpg]
Would love some input on where to go from here. I personally love to get started using paper + traditional media, then move into digital later on, for finals + experimentation but I would appreciate suggestions :)

Essentially I can advise what I advise pretty much averyone which is doing a lot of studies, look up a lot of good designs and explore many ideas. Good luck with your project.

(03-19-2016, 11:10 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Essentially I can advise what I advise pretty much averyone which is doing a lot of studies, look up a lot of good designs and explore many ideas. Good luck with your project.

Will do! Thanks :) What in particular would be useful to study when creating creatures, aside from obviously the natural world? I would like to inject some contrast in the studies I do.

(03-19-2016, 01:11 PM)Sketchosoph Wrote: Nice start. I like your sketches and studies. Keep exploring the natural world man.
Plus: you may check designstyles/Architecture with  organic forms and shapes.
For Instance: Antoni Gaudi, Art Deco, Jugendstil, Paris or Frank Lloyd Wright.

All the best.
Thank you! Sounds very interesting actually, I'll take a look at those guys.

(03-19-2016, 12:00 PM)StoneTape Wrote:
(03-19-2016, 11:10 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Essentially I can advise what I advise pretty much averyone which is doing a lot of studies, look up a lot of good designs and explore many ideas. Good luck with your project.

Will do! Thanks :) What in particular would be useful to study when creating creatures, aside from obviously the natural world? I would like to inject some contrast in the studies I do.

You can try studying some concepts, either 2d or 3d. Also some mechs might be a good idea - try to translate mechanical into organic. Aside for that, you might find some interesting shapes just by doodling randomly.

(03-20-2016, 09:20 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote:
(03-19-2016, 12:00 PM)StoneTape Wrote:

You can try studying some concepts, either 2d or 3d. Also some mechs might be a good idea - try to translate mechanical into organic. Aside for that, you might find some interesting shapes just by doodling randomly.
Already looked a little bit at some of the concept art for Hellboy 2, trying not to be too influenced by what other artists have done in other films. Love the idea of turning mechs into organic materials, Metal Gear style :D Will do that.

Some of the silhouettes wre created using random brushmarks, they really do help.
Will update you soon enough!

Quick update! Some more animal studies/concept development, just tried combining the drawings I've already done to see what emerges, also used some magic symbology upon the wing to add an element of the supernatural to the concepts i want to present. Symbology and magic are themes which I am running throughout this project.

[Image: PvUdoZm.jpg]

[Image: 62OOikg.jpg]

Quick update!
Just starting to block in the final painting. Sorry I've been so sparse with replies, I have had a busy time of late! Need to spread out my values and add lighter/darker tones as well as refine the details.
[Image: 7ntFB00.jpg]

I really like your way of exploring the topic! Especially the thumbnails. So I'm really excited what this is going to develop into.

failure is a badge of honour 

sketchbook / tumblr 
(04-21-2016, 08:17 AM)tinDeer Wrote: I really like your way of exploring the topic! Especially the thumbnails. So I'm really excited what this is going to develop into.
Oooh thank you, I'm excited that you're excited! :D It's at both times a frustrating but rewarding process.