Become Pretty Good At Drawing And Rendering The Human Figure
Thanks John :). I'll probably change my mind and go back to block rib cages later down the line - you never know!

This deathline goal has given me a real enjoyment for studying art anatomy so I will probably continue with this on and off for a long time to come. Let's face it I will never run out of things to learn on this subject - it's a never-ending journey!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

"Become Pretty Good At Drawing And Rendering The Human Figure"

OK so here I am at the end date of this goal and I don't feel that I have progressed as far as I'd hope but I am still pleased with the progress I've made.

Success criteria:

1. Be able to construct realistic and fluid human figure poses from different angles.  I have improved but I need to do more figure study paintings.
2. Be able to construct the human figure in perspective.  I feel more confident but I still need to do more figure studies from difficult angles.
3. Be able to accurately construct human anatomy (bone structure and musculature) from different angles.  My knowledge has grown but I am nowhere near knowing enough - more écorché studies would help here.
4. Be able to render the 3D form of the human figure with values and colours.  Painting is where I feel there has been the most drastic improvement but I need to continue the figure study painting.

Before:

Here's a sample of my work from before I started working on this goal:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=83410]

After:

Here's a sample of my more recent work:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=95143]

What's Next:

I am going to switch over to environment design for a while now but will cycle back to figure study at a later date.  I'll be setting up some new goals for 2017 imminently!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook