A Egg Yoks Journey into becoming a better Artist.
@AngeliquevdMee Ohh, really? i've always heard artists say to start on a gray background. Because sometimes the white on a background can mess with your perception and be overwhelming sometimes especially on the eyes.

Anyways, thank you so much for the advice and i'll put that in mind!
I need to do more studies and everything agh ^^;
Heyo, just to chip in,

I think its good to start on the gray background because as you say it keeps the contrast manageable but if you wish to study more completely the image, you will need to end with a white background.

Because the colours of the apple in that image look that way in relationship to their white environment.
@dodeqaa
I see! thank you guys again for the advice! i'll keep that in mind next time!
Major updates-
I've been so busy as of late. Since im heading to college in about a few weeks or so.

Been doing studies and more various wips.. not in order its all randomized.

[Image: eye_study_by_boogie45-dbkjnqj.png]
[Image: tumblr_inline_ot96utmC8H1r98xjg_540.png]
[Image: tumblr_inline_or1z3y4uys1r98xjg_540_by_b...bc4qdj.png]

[Image: tumblr_inline_oool5x2dJq1r98xjg_540.png]

[Image: po_by_boogie45-dbkjotx.png]
[Image: po_3_by_boogie45-dbkjou3.png]
[Image: tumblr_inline_oupr8qgcTV1r98xjg_540.png]
wip...lol.
[Image: po_4_by_boogie45-dbkjpr7.png]

thats it for now!
First off, nice to see you update again.

Line: If you haven't stumbled upon the accuracy drawing guide from Dorian Iten, check this out: http://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/ Besides from getting things accurate, it helped me simplify my sketches and be more confident on my lines!

Values: When working from a reference, this might help: http://www.dorian-iten.com/value-study/ And check this one out as well http://www.dorian-iten.com/shading-mistakes/

Sparknotes version: http://www.dorian-iten.com/howtodraw/

Good luck with college! Fun times ahead!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(08-20-2017, 02:36 PM)John Wrote: First off, nice to see you update again.

Line: If you haven't stumbled upon the accuracy drawing guide from Dorian Iten, check this out: http://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/ Besides from getting things accurate, it helped me simplify my sketches and be more confident on my lines!

Values: When working from a reference, this might help: http://www.dorian-iten.com/value-study/ And check this one out as well http://www.dorian-iten.com/shading-mistakes/

Sparknotes version: http://www.dorian-iten.com/howtodraw/

Good luck with college! Fun times ahead!

Thank you for the resources John, i've been trying to study up on more anatomy and work on the places I think im most weak at, i've been doing studies(well, the fast I can that is-) and i think this will help me out immensely considering it would help me in planning a drawing more instead of going in with little info. I'll be sure to get the book when I can and also add these to my studies. Also haha thanks ^^
Eye study
Used more of the soft than hard brush and super satisfied. Values might be a bit off and the brush strokes are noticeable but other than that im satisfied so far. Any thoughts?

[Image: study_by_boogie45-dblb87y.png]
11/8/17

Its been awhile again.
The good news is college is pretty fun for me.
The bad I suppose is not being able to draw as much (ˊ̥̥̥̥̥ ³ ˋ̥̥̥̥̥)

However I've still studied in between, hopefully I can post more later but lately i've done digital. Here is some of that.

[Image: wip_by_boogie45-dbt6p1d.png]
updated character design?
[Image: css_by_boogie45-dbt6pa3.png]
thing for inktober
[Image: DLqibY5XcAA8B0Z.jpg:large]
[Image: lime_by_boogie45-dbt6p5a.png]

I've also been branching out and drawing friends characters as well.
[Image: musi_by_boogie45-dbt6p66.png]
This one kinda experimental? took me at least two days on and off. Tried for a semi-realism style honestly I'm satisfied, overall, but if I could improve I would say definitely the shading of the skin and anatomy looks off too me. Honestly, i'd appreciate critiques on this piece.
[Image: sea_kun_by_boogie45-dbt6p2u.png]
Lastly is the eye I did a bit ago, after a bit of critique on this I had figured out that sometimes photoshop can be a life saver :)
[Image: sfvy_by_boogie45-dbt6pel.png]
Thats it for now! but overall even though its been slow i've seen some improvement.
Really nice stuff dude, I like the mystery skulls stuff on the first page.

Love the expressions on your characters!

Sketchbook

@Tygerson @Triggerpigking

Thank you both! im super flattered with each of your compliments ^^ its honestly made my day.

Update aha 11/15/17

I finally scanned some figure drawings and hand drawings. I've been focusing on hands since i've noticed i've had trouble with them and teaching myself how to break them down in simpler forms, as well i've read and studied on some figure studies and hope I can do some more when I have some free time, as well as practice with more charcoal.

[Image: scan_20171115_by_boogie45-dbtvlnk.png]

Also a quick painting circle, was teaching someone how to paint and I quickly made it into a value study for me so
[Image: circ_by_boogie45-dbtvm2n.png]
thats it for now!
1/15/18
Update:
I'm not sure why but I've been finding myself stumped lately. I dunno if its art block or just not feeling like wanting to draw very much, but actually I think I'm finding myself produce moving on better instead of just hanging on one piece lately too.

[Image: 3c7fbee1_b09b_4cbc_be06_2d5503e6e893_by_...c04hxa.jpg]
Did another model study from some time ago. Probably and truthfully the first time i've done a profile side? Had alot of fun using charcoal pencils with this piece. Next time definitely push values more, as well as work on anatomy. Perhaps hair too?

[Image: 3458ff6c_2596_4463_a46b_5e5b61509798_by_...c04hw0.jpg]
Pushing myself to do more figure studies for sure and adding on to them.
[Image: e90f039a_3f48_4cac_b640_fd1fa609a542_by_...c04hwt.jpg]
[Image: sir_plantington_the_iii_here__by_boogie45-dbvsklm.png]
Friends character I drew.
[Image: christmas_for_mana_by_boogie45-dby5ftv.png]
A secret santa gift.
[Image: commsionfox_by_boogie45_dby66il_by_boogie45-dby9v0m.png]
I got commissioned for this piece which honestly was awesome.
[Image: adopt_mochii_rabbit_by_yokai_egg90-dc01fl9.png]
made this lil bun mochi creature- aha. 
trying to sell it off so hopefully it will. I like it overall.

Painted a doughnut based off my version of Duet from MSA, they've been here quite a bit already aha so hopefully you can see the resemblance?
[Image: muderv2_by_yokai_egg90-dbyycu6.png]
V2
[Image: muder_by_yokai_egg90-dbyycql.png]
tried to have fun with this painting and not worry about how it looks.
[Image: eg_by_yokai_egg90-dc03w78.png]
[Image: wipone_by_boogie45-dbwa1l3.png]
thats it for now.
Might update more-
for now an update for today with figure sketching.
Im currently doing a hand study with some gouche so i'll paint that when im finished. Going to commit to more realism for sure.
Checked out the videos @John gave me links to I feel silly, but I realize it was free haha;;

Thats it for now.
[Image: a779c676_5f72_4f49_827a_bcfdae44d1bf_by_...c09fni.jpg]
Mostly reading today.

Some figures.
Need to be more confident in my lines, unfortunately, its very hard to grip a pencil like most artists due to my hands that constantly shake. Look better into proportions. Picked up Andrew Loomis's book upon figures and study upon that.
[Image: 1b839af5_409f_47ab_9dd5_8a17a2201dce_by_...c0cb58.jpg]
[Image: 25871308_e7c7_4b77_b7f6_d4787f08e82c_by_...c0cb5r.jpg]
[Image: df48d864_f367_4a3e_8294_8fd1e9ea827f_by_...c0cb3t.jpg]

[Image: bf797240_9622_4c6e_879c_b126425d35ea_by_...c0cb3g.jpg]
thats it for now.
Been super busy with college once again.

More color practice and a doodle.

That's it for now.

[Image: color_practice_____by_yokai_egg90-dc1h19s.png]
2/3/18
Another eye study. Came easier this time. I think a style is sorta emerging from it? I tried to simplify and choose what I enjoyed best.

[Image: eyee_by_yokai_egg90-dc1zxce.png]
thats it for now.
The eye study seems flat.

What is your purpose with this study?
Learning the anatomy? Proportions? How the light bounces off from the surface of the skin?
Did you learn/acquire any new knowledge after doing this study?

If you only copied an eye, then you just copied an eye, we already have cameras for that.
Sorry if you already answered a question similar to this.
You seem to have good enthusiasm, keep going!

@Hirvios Thank you so much for the critique. Honestly, im doing these studies so that I can study the construction of the eye, value, a bit of everything honestly? I hope that makes sense. Also yeah I can totally see where the eye looks flat  :,)

I think I remember being so frustrated with the brush I had I went and made my own sets tbh lol and painted more eyes shown here.

[Image: stufy_by_yokai_egg90-dc27gtd.png]
The eye I have want to I firstly went and tried to trace around the eye and block in what "shapes" it had then painted it with the custom brushes I have. Its close to the painterly feel I want to have in my paintings so honestly that makes me happy.

The second eye I decided to not trace and instead rely on my own, as well as focus more values than the first really small one over there with shapes too included. A bit more difficult I feel than the first one then again its also bigger and I need to note next time to make each study pretty big.

The second eye looks good too, well better than the eye from days earlier lol.

Thanks so much also!  im trying to keep up my enthusiasm  between school and everything ^^; sometimes it can be hard, but I feel like studies like this can help me do so.
These are looking good. You might like to go through the "How to draw the facial features" by Proko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-bCgRm...yUo7pC13GQ

Also, the "how to draw the head from any angle" videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeE...8D190B7C97

He explains things really well.

As far as holding a pencil, I've noticed that some artists hold it in the "artists grip" to do sweeping lines, but then switch to a writing grip to draw smaller details.

Sketchbook

Apologizes been super busy this semester, with college.

Currently a WIP but, i've been experimenting and painting again.

I think I could be getting closer to that paintery vibe I wanted so im pretty happy. Though at the same time im having trouble blending it.
[Image: yo_by_yokai_egg90-dc9ogps.png]
In addition I also uploaded a little speed paint test a while ago so feel free to view it if you'd like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmUcbnhjPLE&t=352s

For now thats all, i'll update more once summer vacation starts which won't be long...yay.