BastionWing's Sketchbook
Quote:I hope this does not sound like I'm arguing. I'm just really confused as to what to do now in terms of studying the human figure because two people are telling me two different things.

I hope that you are arguing because that means that you're taking things in with thought and not just blindingly follow what people tell you to do.

If posing your figures dynamically makes you think you're progressing, that is super great and I wouldn't have chimed in. But woof, the struggle is real! Haha!

Quote:Also, when I look at Loomis's anatomy drawings, I don't know how to interpret it. As in, I see the lines, but I don't follow as to how they represent the 3D form, per se. The drawings feel flat to me or something.

That is true in most cases. 3D looks 3D because of how people interpret the form, instead of drawing it like it's just a symbol or a representation for something. A thing looks 3D because of how you see values or tone in the figure. Line art can pull off a "3D" look with varying line weights, hatching, and other tricks.

Props for trying to give the proportion tip a go! I think it's looking better already. And by looking at your work, I feel I need to brush up with my own knowledge of human anatomy proportion.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
@John
Thanks for the reply, John.
Actually, I mainly switched to focusing on proportions because I felt like I wasn't really progressing and I was drawing gesture movements for the sake of drawing gesture movements. I want to start drawing with more of a purpose.
Actually, the proportion thing is starting to become like that right now, so I'm thinking about taking it a step further tomorrow by putting it in perspective (like in the Loomis book).

I'm still figuring stuff out. I'm just hoping that I don't keep wandering in the dark for so long that I wander around in circles.

~Wing

August 1st Drawings (didn't upload on August 1st because of technical issues):

Today's drawings (Didn't draw yesterday):

Sigh...my technical issues happened again because I didn't fix it properly last time. I'm hoping I fixed it properly this time so that I can keep uploading daily.
Also, how does one measure depth in perspective? I was trying to do it yesterday (Aug 5), but I couldn't really work it out. I couldn't find anything online about it (there probably is; I just haven't found it yet). Anyone know anything about how to do that?

I also ordered Scott Robertson's drawing book (this one) to help with my fundamental stuff.
~Wing

August 4th drawings:

August 5th drawings:

Today's drawings:

Did some more drawing. I'm thinking of starting another side project. Maybe.

~Wing
Today's drawings:

Didn't upload yesterday because I took too much time in trying to do some of the box exercises from Drawabox. I spent some more time on it to try to finish it, but I stopped in the middle of the rotated box exercise because I realized that I wasn't really sure what I was doing and was just kind of placing lines arbitrarily.

I won't have time to sit down and work on the boxes for tomorrow (I want to set a few hours to work on it), but I think I might have time on Thursday and definitely on Friday.

~Wing

Yesterday's drawings:

Yesterday's and today's box drawings:

On Wednesday, the Scott Robertson book came in the mail. I spent too much time reading that and not drawing.

Yesterday and today, I spent about an hour each day on Scott Robertson's exercises in the 1st chapter (I altered the 1-point perspective line exercise to be more similar to drawabox's freehand box exercise, though). I think I like the ellipse exercises more than drawabox's ellipse exercises because I feel like I have a more concrete goal with them.

I decided to also check my 1-point perspective boxes in MS Paint with the line drawing tool. I don't know how to really check the ellipses, but I am planning on getting an ellipse template tomorrow if I can find it at Michael's.

Also, should I resize these drawings down even more? They are 60% of the scanned size currently, but I can reduce it even more if people want.

~Wing

Yesterday's drawings:

Today's drawings:

Hey lots of hard work here Wing :). Good stuff, keep it going dude.

Also - I am jealous - I want to get Scott Robertson's book but need to scrape together some funds first!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

I didn't find any ellipse templates at Michael's, so I ended up buying a sketchbook instead - one 9 inches by 12 inches (as my main sketchbook), and one 5.5 inches by 8.5 inches (for a more portable one).

After I drew in my 9x12 sketchbook and tried to use the scanner, I realized that it didn't really fit, so I ended up using my phone's camera (took a while to figure out how to get the pictures on my phone - apparently, it's not the exact same as using a digital camera). I resized it because I thought the raw pictures was too big (It was around 3000 by 4000 pixels or so - I don't exactly remember). Hopefully, the drawings are still fairly visible and can still be critiqued if need be.

Besides, I think this method is easier than using my scanner anyway.

~Wing

August 14 drawings (I tried correcting my drawings; corrections are in blue pen):

August 15 (yesterday)'s drawings (I thought the corrections were kind of messy, so I decided not to do them anymore):

Today's drawings:

More drawing today. Also, I tried a different resize.

~Wing
Today's drawings:

I drew some more today.
I definitely do like this method of uploading my sketchbook drawings over using the scanner in terms of convenience; it just kind of sucks that the quality of the picture is not as great (in terms of color and whatnot).

~Wing

Today's drawings:

Forgot to upload the past 2 days.
Also, the Brewer method is very interesting.

~Wing

August 18th drawings:

August 19th drawings:

Today's drawings:

I drew ellipses on walls, and I suck. A lot.
At least I have something to focus on improving now.

~Wing

Today's drawings:

More ellipse-on-wall practice today.

~Wing

Today's drawings:

Holy shit dude. You've got some dedication to those lines circles and boxes. Might be time to mix up the exercises though! Or try to use what you've learned in something creative!

@Sublimus - Thanks. I probably should mix things up. There's this problem I kind of have (I mentioned it in a previous post on this thread) that I end up being too focused on "studying" art rather than trying to be creative with it.

I think the problem is that I don't know how to be creative with the artistic skills I have right now. I think in my head, "Oh, I want to draw [blank], but I don't really have the skills to draw it."

For example, say I want to draw people doing...people things. "Oh, I want to draw people doing things, but I don't really have the skills to draw a human."

So, I just end up doing exercises and whatnot.

I don't really know how to fix this, but if anyone has any input on this, any advice is welcome. The only thoughts I have on this is that I'm too scared to be creative or something (which I am kind of baffled as to why).

~Wing

Today's drawings:

Thought about the creative drawing thing a little more. I think I'm making it harder than it's supposed to be.
I'm considering trying random drawing or something like that. Either that, or do a still life. I don't know yet.

~Wing

Today's drawings:

Did my regular drawings and one page of...something. I think I was trying to draw people - I was aiming for a chibi proportion, but i decided to try other proportions.

~Wing

Today's drawings:

Trying a thing where my warmup is smaller and I rotate the exercises.
Also, I feel like my free drawings/life drawings are kind of messy or something.
Maybe that's just me, though.

~Wing

August 26 drawings:

August 27 drawings (drew in my smaller sketchbook to draw whatever I saw; didn't draw in my regular sketchbook):

Today's drawings:

Forgot to upload yesterday. Also, I tried the XYZ drawing from the Scott Robertson book. I need more practice on it.

~Wing

Yesterday's drawings:

Today's drawings:

More drawing. I think I'm not doing as well on the XYZ drawings because I have way too much ink, and it's throwing me off. Maybe I should use two pieces of sketchbook paper for it (one to make the grid, one for the actual XYZ drawing).

~Wing

Today's drawings: