CC September: Captain Mothstorm
Thought I'd join in with the September Crucible.  Gonna do an illustration of one of my comicbook characters - Captain Mothstorm.  He will be leaping off a ledge into a dark temple chamber.

Here's the moodboard:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=90742]

I will do a few studies next.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Ah, good we get to see an illo from your script :) Cool man, crank it up!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Cranking it up by trying out thumbnailing - good fun :)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=90928]

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

I'm cheating a bit with the perspective by using some rough 3D work in Blender, not sure which composition works best yet though:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=91062]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=91063]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=91064]

CD Sketchbook

I prefer the first and third, and if threatened with being pushed off a ledge, I'd say the third because the depth is a tiny bit scarier.
Using tools isn't cheating. That's like saying it's cheating for a trad. artist to use a ruler to draw a straight line.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Third! It feels like you're telling a more concrete story when you show what the bottom looks like. I won't be left wondering where the character might end up.

Then again, not sure what your gunning for in this illustration. So my thoughts on this might not be helpful!

And working with 3D is pretty much normal. You got this Loader!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(09-14-2016, 08:51 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: I prefer the first and third, and if threatened with being pushed off a ledge, I'd say the third because the depth is a tiny bit scarier.
Using tools isn't cheating. That's like saying it's cheating for a trad. artist to use a ruler to draw a straight line.

I agree - I think the third feels a lot higher up and scarier - thanks for the input Amit :).

And when you put it like that - no I guess it's not cheating to use tools!

CD Sketchbook

(09-16-2016, 02:10 AM)John Wrote: Third! It feels like you're telling a more concrete story when you show what the bottom looks like. I won't be left wondering where the character might end up.

Then again, not sure what your gunning for in this illustration. So my thoughts on this might not be helpful!

And working with 3D is pretty much normal. You got this Loader!

Useful thoughts John - well here Captain Mothstorm is storming an enemy stronghold to rescue a fair maiden so I guess I'm gunning for a "daring leap into danger" type scenario. Thanks for the feedback dude.

Yep - I'll carry on with this 3D malarky and see where it gets me then :).

CD Sketchbook

So I've gone with scene 3 and posed him up a bit.  Hopefully the perspective should be solid enough for me to start drawing over the top:

CD Sketchbook

So here's the line drawing - gonna have to speed up a bit to hit the deadline!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=91168]

CD Sketchbook

Putting in the values and then will do colours:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=91198]

CD Sketchbook

Not too much time tonight - started adding some colour - need sleep now though ...

CD Sketchbook

Thanks for the kind words and the links Sketchosoph!

I think I'm more or less out of time now so I'm gonna submit this as my final:

CD Sketchbook