Cave digital painting
Hey guys this is my second digital painting and i would love critiques about it, to know what things should i improve. Thanks a lot

The main things I can see to improve are your colors, lighting choices, and somewhat, composition (comp is decent, can use some tweaking).

Can you give me an idea of what is going on in the image? And what you would say is the 'purpose' of this painting? Is the blue light a skylight or something magical (etc). I can give more defined critique when I know the direction you'd like to go
Hey hey!

Nice work!
Some Constructive Critique: The first things that come to mind are simply to work on it a bit more: using a slightly darker or lighter brush, to sculpt in some of the rock shapes in the cavern walls, also perhaps on the ground.

The edges of the figure's nose could be sharpened a little I think, if the figure is also made of rock then it would look nice to sculpt in a little of those rocky lines into him.

The last critique is compositional, to do with tangents: it seems like you've got the cave wall wrapping around the "2d" silhouette of the figure... it magically wraps around him in a way that only works for the imaginary camera looking at the scene from this angle. So maybe if you had that background wall go behind him instead of wrapping around the perimeter, it would look a bit more natural, and you'd have some depth happening due to the overlapping shapes.

I hope that makes sense. Keep it up!

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche
(02-18-2017, 09:09 AM)Admbrns Wrote: The main things I can see to improve are your colors, lighting choices, and somewhat, composition (comp is decent, can use some tweaking).

Can you give me an idea of what is going on in the image? And what you would say is the 'purpose' of this painting? Is the blue light a skylight or something magical (etc). I can give more defined critique when I know the direction you'd like to go

The idea of the painting is about a magical cave of an old civilization. The blue light is coming from the hole in the wall, and in that place some magic is happening. I hope that helps. Thanks a lot admbrns for the response!
(02-19-2017, 11:46 PM)aks9 Wrote: Hey hey!

Nice work!
Some Constructive Critique: The first things that come to mind are simply to work on it a bit more: using a slightly darker or lighter brush, to sculpt in some of the rock shapes in the cavern walls, also perhaps on the ground.

The edges of the figure's nose could be sharpened a little I think, if the figure is also made of rock then it would look nice to sculpt in a little of those rocky lines into him.

The last critique is compositional, to do with tangents: it seems like you've got the cave wall wrapping around the "2d" silhouette of the figure... it magically wraps around him in a way that only works for the imaginary camera looking at the scene from this angle. So maybe if you had that background wall go behind him instead of wrapping around the perimeter, it would look a bit more natural, and you'd have some depth happening due to the overlapping shapes.

I hope that makes sense. Keep it up!
Thanks Aks9 for the tips ill see if i can do that!  Stupid