Crimson CHOW #22 - A Modern Fantasy
[Image: W2v6Ql0.jpg]

Art by pnate
This weeks brief by Lodratio

Crimson Character of the Week #22
»A MODERN FANTASY«

“Take one of the characters of our modern world, (could be a soldier, an office worker, a plumber, etc.) and turn them into something that feels like it might belong in a fairy tale, a mythos or a fantasy novel.”

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE character.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is April 20th @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-
super late start. Going with Banker. Dragons love gold so why not one doing inventory?

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Tossing some ideas around. I'm okay with keeping it cartoony, but I'll have to draw some more to get closer to the brief while still retaining the feeling that the characters are somehow fantastical.

Pest control.  xD

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Don't think I'll be able to finish this one, but  let's what I can do.
I'm doing an auto racer  :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Taxi Driver ^^ dont know if im able to finish it but I'll try my best

Attached Files Image(s)

I went with "artist"! Sadly not enough time to finish it right now, too, but i might do that later. At least i got the idea out :D fun challenge! Did like 10 of these super rough, almost unreadable shitty comp sketches, picked 3 ok ones and then picked my favorite from those based on which one gets the idea across the best. Having the animals in the foreground adds depth and helps with the storytelling i think. If the story comes through at this stage that'd be great, if not, ok aswell :D if i finish it there'll be colorful, half translucent glowy animals near the brush and they get more real and normal the farther they are away from it. if it'd be an animation, there would be a big circular swoop beginning at the right bottom corner with animals squirting in all directions and falling on top of each other, plants sprouting from the ground and growing etc (like the thing the moose god's feet do in mononoke, but in a more explosive and dynamic way)

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more sketches. The first one is sloppy, but I'm getting closer to the sort of look I want. I'll definitely turn one of the ideas into a finished illustration. Gonna take a couple more days though.

@Jan That illustration is looking very promising so far! I hope to see you take it to the finish line.