HIRVIOS- Art Log
WIP Re-sketch

I wanted to start putting more effort into these, but now I'm taking way too long!

Attached Files Image(s)

mmoooar observation/ studies! You will get stuck if you dont!!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
(01-29-2018, 12:57 AM)Fedodika Wrote: mmoooar observation/ studies! You will get stuck if you dont!!

I already did more than last week

Every day I essentially spend-
1hr on Figures (and 1 hand)
1hr on studying new material (tutorials and online classes)
1hr on Two 30min studies.

That's already more than I spent on average even just last year.
I mean, sure, I plan to continue studying more,
but if I pile on more studies on top of that, I risk of burn-out, boredom, and not getting enough work for my clients and personal art.

alright, haha i had missed your previous posts with the studies, yea i mean keep going for it; I just think maybe putting more time into one thing you are studying would help more than spreading it all out. not necessarily rendering all that time but refining and understanding the forms. Ya sorry i missed your big studies post, keep up with that!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
(01-29-2018, 10:44 AM)Fedodika Wrote: alright, haha i had missed your previous posts with the studies, yea i mean keep going for it; I just think maybe putting more time into one thing you are studying would help more than spreading it all out. not necessarily rendering all that time but refining and understanding the forms. Ya sorry i missed your big studies post, keep up with that!

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, I might change my study regimen once I start a more-challenging online class,
but for now this one is working pretty fine for me.

Yep, I myself always worry when I'm commenting on someone's sketchbook that I'm missing some older post of theirs where they've done exactly what I'm about to recommend XP

hey hirvios i thought id come by and give you some crits but most of the stuff id say has already been said

one thing that not alot of people mention is that you tend to draw masses too big. at times it even breaks the perspective last page its particualry noticeable on the balance of the figure studies, id say maybe come back to perspective practice and specially to your drawabox excercises you mentioned, i really like the way you handle tone but i think your linework and drafting needs alot more attention.

id recommend a very long bargue drawing, 1 hour on something is not enough you can do 1 hour a day but keep returning to the same studie, its one of the things that helps the most since you gain confidence in those later stages of drawing, of course you know your own schedule so im sure youre doing things in a way you feel comfortable id just recommend you step back and think about your weaknesses and start tackling them face on.

ill deff come back, keep at it man youre doing very good

Dawckbook

Stream

When in doubt ask yourself, what would scooby do?
(02-01-2018, 01:49 AM)dawckward Wrote: hey hirvios i thought id come by and give you some crits but most of the stuff id say has already been said

one thing that not alot of people mention is that you tend to draw masses too big. at times it  even breaks the perspective last page its particualry noticeable on the balance of the figure studies, id say maybe come back to perspective practice and specially to your drawabox excercises you mentioned, i really like the way you handle tone but i think your linework and drafting needs alot more attention.

id recommend a very long bargue drawing, 1 hour on something is not enough you can do 1 hour a day but keep returning to the same studie, its one of the things that helps the most since you gain confidence in those later stages of drawing, of course you know your own schedule so im sure youre doing things in a way you feel comfortable id just recommend you step back and think about your weaknesses and start tackling them face on.

ill deff come back, keep at it man youre doing very good

I've heard of the benefits of doing a long-term study, but my fear is that if I don't have a clear goal for what I'm trying to learn- my brain will turn off, I'll turn into a mindless copy machine and I'll end up not learning much;

I think I'll be willing to invest more time into studies after I've taken Schoolism classes like- Fundamentals for Drawing and Essentials of Realism.
I believe that growth will happen a lot quicker once I know how to think and what to look for when approaching a study

Thanks for commenting!

Oh boy you in trouble now because i got everything you need written down in a few post i made.You even commented on a comment i made about goal making so i believe you have no excuse for not making clear goal.http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8456-post-117403.html#pid117403.What i see is excuse for not going outside the comfort zone.

Here there is two post you should read as homework if you really want to change that no goal habit you have and how to kill the mindless machine feeling you have.

How to make a clear goal:click link and use ctrl+f and type How to make a clear goal
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-5494.html

How to learn to draw and the importance of practical dialogue over mindless pratice
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4107.html

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(02-02-2018, 10:35 AM)darktiste Wrote: Oh boy you in trouble now because i got everything you need written down in a few post i made.You even commented on a comment i made about goal making so i believe you have no excuse for not making clear goal.http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8456-post-117403.html#pid117403.What i see is excuse for not going outside the comfort zone.

Here there is two post you should read as homework if you really want to change that no goal habit you have and how to kill the mindless machine feeling you have.

How to make a clear goal:click link and use ctrl+f and type How to make a clear goal
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-5494.html

How to learn to draw and the importance of practical dialogue over mindless pratice
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4107.html

These are gold!
I cannot agree more;
I've heard these points form other books/ podcasts, etc.  but it feels good to see such a concise list about motivation and goal setting made by a fellow artist!

Thanks!

Time for my Weekly art update!

Gesture/ Figure studies-
And some Hands 

I won't be posting the longer 30 min studies for some time because I've replaced those slots with taking Digital art Classes.
Right now I'm doing "Digital painting by Bobby Chiu" 
I want to share the stuff, but I don't think I'm ethically allowed to spoil what's being thought in those classes

Attached Files Image(s)

Personal art

Casual Digi sketches and Re-sketches

After reading the Skillful Huntsman I've taken an interest in making tons of silhouettes fore the early concepts.
It's a very efficient way of laying down some general ideas and searching for the "feel"of the concept.

But the casual sketches are, well...casual
and the re-sketches  while I was half-asleep, soo not the most stellar stuff I've done

but at-least I'm trying to get the feel for it

Attached Files Image(s)

Some re-sketches made the usual way-
10 min each,  just trying to find interesting shapes and avoid getting bogged down by details 

the Silhouettes in the previous post were about 1.20 min each

Attached Files Image(s)

Same stuff from last week,

Refining

Attached Files Image(s)

Some Oldies I've dug up and decided to finish up  (There's actually more)
(don't bother criticizing the colors too much, all I did was try to add a temporary gradient map)
One of them has a Old version on the right and the newer WIP version on the Left (Cleaning up the shapes)

I've been mulling over some things.

I had given myself a goal of starting and finishing a more-detailed piece every weekl
But now I'm starting to develop a common, unhealthy habit of starting things and leaving them half-way
I get bored with a piece because I think that the base design isn't that strong and that now I'm wasting time rendering a meh-concept.
In the end, I have a back-log of unfinished stuff that keeps gnawing at me at the back of my head
-I need to develop a habit of FINISHING what I started!

Also with the re-sketches,
Yeah, I keep my brain moving by pumping out designs, but do they have substance? Do they have Story?...

As a concept artist, I'm supposed to work with a story, do research, make tons of thumbnails and work my way up to get the best-possible product based on a Idea.
If I'd get a client, he'd often  give me rules, restrictions, story, and guide-lines for the concept that he desires;
But with the re-sketches....again, there's little substance,  so why should anyone care?

So what I've decided is-
*Go back to my old stuff, give myself a deadline, buckle down, and finish it!
   1-2 Pieces at a time, so that I keep things fresh, but don't spread myself too thin
*Once I get to the re-sketches again-
   Give them a story,  multiple design elements, restrictions, ect.
   -Approach them as Products/ Simulate the process of doing a real, official,professional Concept art project!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey man i just wanted to pass by and thank you for the great comment you left me on my sketchbook! It really helped me <3

id encourage you to change the design motifs too looking at your artstation and here the style of creatures can feel very similar, look at some character design challenges so you get a story and restrictions as a concept artist youll most likely also be challenged about topics and styles, so i think getting out of that type of creature sketching might help, this is all coming from the outside so you will most surely know what to do best

Dawckbook

Stream

When in doubt ask yourself, what would scooby do?
I really love those swirly tree people on 2-4. My eye gets drawn into following all the curls and stuff. Really graceful gesture to them.

Sketchbook

dawckward-  I understand your point;
Thing is,  I have a really big back log of WIP  content stored away in my hard-drives, I'd feel unsatisfied if I shove them away;
The key most likely would be for me to juggle my personal pieces with those challenges that you mentioned.
PS.-  Since when is having a similar style bad though? Often all I can hear is other artists lamenting that they have no style.
Did you instead mean that they look kinda same-y?

Tygerson- Thanks! I'm really enjoying them too!

Here's some studies!

Lot's-o figure and gesture studies like always;
Bunch of time taken by taking online classes witch I'm not allowed to spoil, so no long-term studies to post

I'm very inexperienced with drawing faces;  before seriously studying them I'd like to take specific classes and books on the subject first so that I know what to look for.
These were about 15-20 min long, there's a bunch of proportion issues; 
I drew them flipped horizontally to the ref so that I try to understand the construction instead of blindly falling into copying

Attached Files Image(s)

Some casual personal sketches

I've been working a bunch on client work too, but 'm not allowed to show those yet

Attached Files Image(s)

I really love the life and exaggeration in the gesture drawings. It's really cool to see some of them fleshed out with rendering. It sort of bridges the gap between gesture drawing and figure drawing (when it's time to really "draw the figure," I always stiffen up the gesture--argh!).

Sketchbook