Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook
Hmm so I dunno what happened with Gliger but I'll leave this here I guess since his SB is gone and private messages says it's full.

@Gliger
Hey man! Sorry I owe you big time for the help you gave me last time but I spiraled into stuff and ended up taking a break. I still would like to give you feedback, if you need or want it still, but you seem to not have been updating your SB either.

Let me know either way but again, many many thanks for last time. For real. It was really helpful I still haven't wrapped my head around it all but I did dig some cinematography/lighting stuff and have been thinking about lighting for directing the view more since then and it's really helping.

@Mochiman
Yeah bud, it's a struggle, my confidence is all over the place at times.

@Leo Ki
Yup! Seems that having something as a backdrop is making a world of difference lately to me. Thanks for pointing that out. Also since you asked before I'm starting profiles on most social media sites. Pick your poison although I'm a snail and only have newgrounds and tumblr set up, others I have to upload. How do you manage so many sites and still have time to draw, I will never know...

Alright so, my stuff. I took a break around july? For almost a month, anyways I'm back on track I hope. I didn't want to post back in here until I finished the guns project since I was avoiding it like the plague but was unable to do it, so I lost confidence. But I decided enough was enough and got around to do it now with what I have been learning. Changes I'm making, starting social media stuff. So far newgrounds and tumblr, but twitter and instagram to follow. Same username as in here I'll drop links once I have everything going smooth somewhere.

Stuff I've been making below. They are unordered but you'll see one about guns that I'm working on, will try to finish tomorrow. I'll try this week to do a couple of pages about it but I'm trying to learn architecture or buildings at the mo.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great stuff. I take it your current general goal is something like "get good at everything"?

I really like those studies of foliage and water with differing levels of detail. Great energy in the spiderman/woman sketches. You do a very good job of capturing the general character of things. Even if I notice something that looks "off", I don't feel the urge to comment on it because the overall impression is still very good.

Good luck with your social media endeavors. I hope you get some non-robotic engagement out there!
(09-24-2020, 07:50 AM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: Great stuff. I take it your current general goal is something like "get good at everything"?

I really like those studies of foliage and water with differing levels of detail. Great energy in the spiderman/woman sketches. You do a very good job of capturing the general character of things. Even if I notice something that looks "off", I don't feel the urge to comment on it because the overall impression is still very good.

Good luck with your social media endeavors. I hope you get some non-robotic engagement out there!

More like trying to train out my weaknesses or have a better baseline? I want to tackle things I feel they matter to me but I'm always avoiding (like backgrounds ha ha). Also because I feel I do best when iterating ideas over and over I think practicing to drop stuff quickly that reads even when rough is important to me, so I can get faster to what I want to show.

Well I post stuff to hear all about what looks off! So don't hold back ha ha. That probably means the training might be working then.

Oh lol ha ha, too late! Already a bot is following me on one ha ha ha. It's already nesting, better just sigh and let them be. I just made it because people keep hammering me about it and now that I can manage color better I think is a better time to start getting more out there but I still need to work on so much not sure about anything anymore. I need to keep reminding myself of what matters and don't get sidetracked, repeat mistakes from the past.
What have you been up to? You also haven't been updating much.

Leaving the guns, now probably adding decals and textures would be the next step but I still want to keep myself at the form defining stage since it's still spotty at times and need to try out harder shapes. Also more detailing at points I need to remember that.

I also sketched this on the side for fun, since I want to focus for more on male characters and branching out of my usual stuff.

Stuff looks striking and energetic, but that goes without saying, LOL. You're definitely succeeding at making stuff that reads well even when only semi-rendered.

(09-25-2020, 03:19 PM)Rotohail Wrote: Oh lol ha ha, too late! Already a bot is following me on one ha ha ha. It's already nesting, better just sigh and let them be. I just made it because people keep hammering me about it and now that I can manage color better I think is a better time to start getting more out there but I still need to work on so much not sure about anything anymore. I need to keep reminding myself of what matters and don't get sidetracked, repeat mistakes from the past.
What have you been up to? You also haven't been updating much.

It sounds like it would be best for you to not invest too much energy in social media right now unless you urgently need to start making money from art. Just dump whatever you make out there, make sure it has the appropriate tags so that people see it, respond to human comments if you get them, and forget about it. I think your stuff is good enough to eventually get attention by itself, but I'm not a social media guru, obviously.

As for why I haven't been updating much, the truth is that I'm extremely lazy and have very low standards for both my work and other people's work. So whenever someone gives me a good crit, I feel bad for possibly wasting their time since there's a roughly 50/50 chance that I will actually apply it. I'm not gonna become a masterful professional artist any time soon, LOL.

(09-25-2020, 03:19 PM)Rotohail Wrote: Well I post stuff to hear all about what looks off! So don't hold back ha ha. That probably means the training might be working then.

OK, I hope I can help you out. I rushed these paintovers and I'm obviously not a master artist, so let me know if this is completely unhelpful, LOL.

First of all, I really like "gloomyvisage.png". Really nice read and atmosphere. Scythe looks great. Love the background. The only thing that jumped at me is that the ellipse of the jean shorts' hem on her nearer leg doesn't look quite right. Since her nearer leg is dipping away from us a bit, I thought the ellipse should be convex in the opposite direction.

Next is "kilclean.png". Looks and reads well to me except for her farther leg, which I thought needed thicker quads to be more consistent with her nearer leg. I also continued the curve of her quads farther back toward the body, because I think that's how it normally looks in this kind of view. That said, I made a wild guess as to where her pelvis is, so I might've bungled it. You be the judge.

Your art is super inspirational. I love your sketchbook can’t wait to see more.

I would love feedback on my Sketchbook
@Pubic Enemy

Oh the fix on the kill one is just perfect!!! Saving it. For the other one I was trying to do that angled cut I see in some lately, like a v shape? but it might have to come up more and, probably add those broken strands/threads instead of a fold ha ha. What a mess. Many many thanks!

lol, what's that about you not following advice!? Ha 50/50 chance now I imagine you flipping coins everytime someone tells you something!
Yeah I'm trying to do that with social media although I'm having a bit of a blast on newgrounds honestly there's a ton of bantering and it really sparks my tongue in cheek side so I end up procrastinating lol.

@kvSketch
Thanks! I'll go check yours!

I'll leave this for now although I'm still adding stuff and working things out. And I also have another waiting around that I updated with last batch. I'm rolling slow this week.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ohh, I see what you're saying about the V angled cut on the shorts. The original is most likely fine, then! Glad to hear the Kill la Kill change was in the right ballpark.

I'm shocked that Newgrounds is still around, I'll have to see what's going on there myself. You might as well get all the Newgrounds out of your system while the site is still up, so keep bantering I say, LOL.

Latest picture looks great. Feels very whimsical. The varying levels of detail in the foreground and background works very well; there's a strong sense of depth. Also, love the funky purple-orange clouds.
Great to see you back Rotohail. Even for taking a month off you've still managed to smash out a ton of work. Your use of colour has great vibes as always, and I'm digging the super hero sketches (there's a lot of energy to them). The only nitpick I have is that the kill la kill pieces head feels too big for the body, especially considering the viewing angle. I think the fact that there's no under plane to her chin adds to it, but I feel that is more a stylized choice than anything?

Anyway, cool stuff. That blue sky with purple clouds in the latest piece is *chefs kiss*. Such a great use of colour
Really like the clouds as well. Definitely instills that magical feeling.