Jon's sketchbook
Leo Ki: Yeah I intentionally tried to sketch in colour in some of those pieces to try and get more comfortable. I also started some illustration work where I'm essentially figuring out the sketches in colour from the start and that's helping a lot. Thanks for taking the time to look through my work. I really appreciate it. I think I understood you with regards to the portrait btw :)

tfantoni: Thank you! I'll definitely keep posting!

cgmythology: Thank you for the kind words! Unfortunately I havn't gotten around to finishing the second environment unfortunately but it's next on the list for my portfolio so I will get to it eventually. I'm glad you think my work is well thought out. I feel like that's a big issue in my work, that the compositions and designs are often lacking and I just try to make up for it with rendering. I'll keep working on it though.

Rotohail: I prefer the second aswell. I think it has a much better sense of space, even though it isn't finished yet and i just threw some fog in there to seperate the layers. You're also right about the second building but I'm trying to  approach the values very tentatively and work from the middle outwards towards the highlights and shadows. Since this is an abandoned study it's basically somewhere in the middle of the process. I'm also not entirely comfortable with this process yet so it's a little weird and wonky. Regarding the clothing design and my thoughts... for that piece in particular... it was basically just a rush. I wanted to practice a vertical composition and got a bit carried away with rendering. The clothing was mostly and afterthought and I think it shows. I actually really like fashion design and usually try to come up with better costumes and more interesting sillhouetes but this one didn't work at all. Usually I try to think about different ways to break up the proportions of the body and play with size contrasts. Like big puffy coat plus tights for example.

Here's some of my recent stuff. I've gotten some freelance work recently which is taking up quite a bit of time. Unfortunately I can't post any of it :/ I also started taking part in the meds50heads challenge on instagram. You're supposed to do 50 portrait studies by a certain date so I'm aiming for the end of the year. On top of that I try to start my day with some figure and anatomy studies from ref and from imagination. I recently got my hands on Corel painter 2019 and I find the pencil tool very pleasant to draw with. It feels way more traditional than anything Photoshop has to offer. It's very nice for the morning warm-ups!
Also I have a few sketches where I'm explorimg some different style directions.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Jon! Great sketchbook you have so far - I love the variety you have within it and how you explore so many different styles and techniques. I'm looking forward to seeing you progress through the meds50heads challenge! Will you be painting all of the heads or leaving some as lineart?
Looking great so far, you're off to a great start!!! You color palettes are quite unique and your values, while a bit limited, are on point. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress, keep it up!

Really nice sketchbook,I love how you are using such crazy colors.
Shuty: Thanks, I'm trying to work on being bold with colour choices.

cgmythology: Thank you!

chubby_cat: Hey, I'm trying to paint all of them. This has ended up meaning that I can't get them done daily but I think it's worth it in the end.

So finally I have a bunch of things to post. I'm hitting the upload limit here so I'll have to spam post a bit. I'm still not done with the meds50heads challenge but I like where it's taking me so far. I'm also able to show some of the freelance illustration stuff I've been doing so I'll be posting that soon too.

Attached Files Image(s)

More of the 50heads. Some of these are really out of whack...Some days my motivation dwindeld. Others are experiments gone wrong. It's really like a journey of trying to figure out how I want to paint things. It's not evident in this batch yet but I soon start crystallising some stylistic viewpoints.

Attached Files Image(s)

Getting there. Here I'm starting to really have more fun combining shapes and pushing lines to get things to join together in ways that I find interesting.

Attached Files Image(s)

Up to date now with these heads. I'm only on number 34 out of 50.

Attached Files Image(s)

these portraits are great

I concur, you are building a solid style with these. It's fascinating to see it emerge. Please post more :)