Back in the game
Hey guys, so conceptart.org got shut down & I lost my old sketchbook so I'm gonna start posting on here. Hopefully starting this sketchbook will help get me motivated again. What i do for work is mainly 3D for architecture (houses etc) but 2d and fantasy is what I really love, so I'm gonna try to start improving again. One thing I want is to finally establish my work/style , my problem is I've been influenced by too many styles of art so realistic fantasy/concept art will hopefully be what i'll stick to from now on and learning to paint in that way better.

I'm a bit rusty because I haven't drawn much in a while (besides architectural stuff), but cc welcome on every post. I've been at this for so long (started at 12 in foster care) that I've kinda lost confidence in myself and my work over the years, but I'd like to improve more and change that. For one my biggest weakness is figures/anatomy so I need to focus on that and perspective (i've been relying only on sketchup for architectural illustrations). I'm going to take some online courses as well, and will post work from that here as well as books, (and maybe some of my paid work as well) I've tried for a while but sadly my knowledge of figures is still a bit terrible, so hopefully I'll improve tons. thanks for dropping by!

Eventually I'd like to be more rounded in my foundations: Figures,perspective,composition,etc and feel confident about my work/progress.

Attached Files Image(s)

welcomeeeeee

Welcome to Crimson Daggers Zarkatos :).

What you say about establishing your own style really resonates with me - when I study from multiple sources, it's so easy to become confused about what style I want to go with.

Do you have any thoughts on deciding on a style?

Love the scene illustration by the way :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

For style i think it depends, I have an established style for my architectural work because I had a real teacher, but the rest is all self taught so It's hard for me to stick with one. Maybe it'll evolve naturally over time I guess. Here's more studies, sketches, imagination portrait, etc. I tend to do a lot better at things like portraits or landscapes with heavy reference, but building figures from my mind is going to take a while,since i need more practice & knowledge of anatomy and construction. Though i'm more inclined to environment/landscape design my figure drawing is abysmal. Anyways thanks for stopping by guys gotta keep practicing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to Crimson Daggers, weary traveler. I am curious about if any other ex-CA.org users will migrate here and liven this place up a bit.

I think that your art is looking quite solid so far, but of course, there is room for improvment. Have you considered setting up a proper studying schedule? Maybe consider reading and studying from one book or class at the time, finishing it and then moving onto the next in a structured way.

Looking forward to see more work from you in the future!

Thats a good idea zorrentos, i currently have craig mullins course i was thinking of starting on schoolism and anthony jones on learn squared. heres some work, not much of an update but its something. (top is some slightly rushed client work, bottom is practice) The last full course i did was Noah's art camp, should really finish another class.

Attached Files Image(s)

character ideation artbreeder overpaint mixed with photobashing

Attached Files Image(s)

studies and practice

Attached Files Image(s)

In your #7 post in the character iteration the fourth character start from the left i find is proportion to be off be unless he suppose to be a dwarf.I think what happening here is you didn't do your mannequin before you dress the figure.One other hypothesis i have is you were working in a canva that was to small and it compressed your figure.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
ah i was actually trying to exaggerate proportions a bit to be more dwarf like, not sure if i pulled it off well, thanks! I appreciate any and all feedback since its mostly me being in my head haha
Interesting sketchbook so far! How far do you tend to take your studies before you define them as finished, or have found what it is you're intending to study? You have lots of effective work, would also love to see what they culminate into!
Thanks melolon, took anothers advice and am taking courses for learning, and everything else (architectural related) is just work stuff i thought i'd share, having structure/ courses is much better i feel, and i can start to see real progress. Will try to update this often, though if i'm more busy at least weekly, thanks for stopping by!

I do enjoy some of my work, but fantasy/scifi related art is my real passion (both concept/illustration) I realized recently that I can't just give up on that because it's what I love, even if it takes a while I'd like to follow my dreams from when I was a kid, which i gave up on for quite a while, and took a different path. I can't do as much as i'd like but having an online sketchbook (like the one I had on conceptart.org) keeps me motivated more than anything.

I actually do a lot of 3D renders and the like (house exteriors,interiors, etc), but they're not exactly related so i don't share em on here, wanna get back to my roots a bit :) seriously any feedback helps though and I appreciate it, I want to keep improving and feel like i'm actually getting somewhere, I appreciate all your comments/tips/critiques/etc.
Nice studies dude. Looks like you're trying out different techniques at the moment - are you any closer to choosing a particular style?

In post #7 what do you mean by "overpaint" is that the technique where you paint over a 3D model?

Keep going!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

thanks! overpainting photobashed elements, (basically detailing and painting over)

Here is a photobashed/overpaint environment concept

I guess my style is kinda fluid but id like to eventually settle on one naturally.

more studies and character related stuff next post.

Attached Files Image(s)

A few wips of an assignment i've been working on today for Sam Nielsons course

Attached Files Image(s)

Some sketches for a storyboarding class. I've always wanted a rounded out art education so i'm taking a bunch of classes on schoolism and learnsquared. self taught courses/subscription mainly. I'm going to try to be more active again and post more on here as well. I think it's good to try everything , but also take each course seriously, I think it gives you a more well rounded education. Also an Animal crossing sketch

Out of my comfort zone but think that's how i'll start seriously learning.

Attached Files Image(s)

well it's been a while, honestly lately i've been debating quitting art, it just feels like i'm getting nowhere. but gotta keep pushing i guess
Quitting because you reach a point where you feel lost?Who never been there... i suggest being more focus on certain thing if you wanna see some improvement in and get a sense of direction.That help you stay motivated and if the progress isn't going as fast as you like well it ok to feel stuck to it doesn't mean you need to drop everything.Imagine building a card castle just to leave it there to rot and eventually crumble.Is this what you really want?If your not patient without yourself you might turn it into an habit.There a mix between being to harsh with yourself and knowing when to mix it up and regain confidience in your own skill.The problem with putting down the pen for a long period is that it can be hard to regain the momentum you builded.So if you ain't feeling to good well take more time to think and slow down and see what you can do and if you feel stuck try to reach out.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
post what bugs you and we might be able to make this more manageable for you, pushing is great and all but all this art stuff tends to be more straight forward than students often make it out to be. There's always some mental checklist, some trick, exercise, or advice that lets you gauge your progress and not feel like you are trying to get somewhere while blindfolded walking backwards.

Sorry guys was just at a low point. Decided to start doing 30 minute speedpaints everyday for a group following different topics here are a few, gonna do a few everyday and keep doing the self taught courses im a part of on Schoolism and see if I can get a mentorship later.      - also some pencil sketchbook stuff as well

Attached Files Image(s)