Tank Rat's Sketchbook
Interesting how you represent curved value as a united value.

Do you know about what is a 1,2,3 read? It a light concept from scott robertson book.It basically how to light up a form to show volume.Right now there 2 side of the object with the same light intensity and one with it own value.In this concept you should have 3 different value for each of your 3d shape.

The concept can be found in Scott Robertson - How to Render - The Fundamentals of Light, Shadow and Reflectivity

Anyhow good break down of the major volume.Your doing great since you don't fear what most artist shy away from which is drawing hand and feet.It will sure be fun to see you make character later on.

I think you could try to step your understanding of the plane of the head&face as it is absent from this sketchbook.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(07-22-2021, 09:02 AM)darktiste Wrote: Interesting how you represent curved value as a united value.

Do you know about what is a 1,2,3 read? It a light concept from scott robertson book.It basically how to light up a form to show volume.Right now there 2 side of the object with the same light intensity and one with it own value.In this concept you should have 3 different value for each of your 3d shape.

The concept can be found in Scott Robertson - How to Render - The Fundamentals of Light, Shadow and Reflectivity

Anyhow good break down of the major volume.Your doing great since you don't fear what most artist shy away from which is drawing hand and feet.It will sure be fun to see you make character later on.

I think you could try to step your understanding of the plane of the head&face as it is absent from this sketchbook.
I actually have that book in PDF form. Its a great book, but I've been putting off reading it because of that. I definitely need to finish it. As for heads and faces, I might start that grind next week or the week after. It all depends on how I feel about what I'm studying now. After a burnout day and rethinking some things, I think I finally found some concrete goals to work toward. I'm still working on feet and a few other things this week.

Attached Files Image(s)

Those feet studies are amazing! Seems like you are really breaking down and analyzing your studies properly! I especially like how you put them into proper perspective!

I can only agree with the previous statement it will be interesting to see when you develop them in a more organic less blocky manner one day perhaps.But there already a certain amount of organic in them i am more refering to the toe and the top portion of the foot which doesn't really seem as separate as it is right now.One Aspect that will also be interesting to add will be the anklebone.

My Sketchbook
Another set of foot studies along with a page of me trying to understand drapery.

Attached Files Image(s)

A few more studies. After these, I started to test out different brushes because I wanted these to look a bit cleaner. I'm also trying to exercise the 50/50 rule (50% studies and 50% for fun and experimentation), which has always been a big problem for me. I've lowered what I try to practice each day so I'd have enough time and energy to play around a bit. Hopefully, I can make this a habit.

Attached Files Image(s)

I advise for a 70% study -30% fun and experimentation ratio as to have more time for correction and also since you have an interest in the human body you need alot of time toward anatomy so study is priority.

But i advise for a 50-50 if you feel burn out

It just depend how much your into drawing gain .I certain believe that you need to be able to find the right balance to be able to move from one comfort zone to the next.Some people get more motivated by there study and there ability to repilicate what they see and some get more motivated by drawing subject matter that motivate them.

My Sketchbook
(08-16-2021, 12:50 PM)darktiste Wrote: I advise for a 70% study -30%  fun and experimentation ratio as to have more time for correction and also since you have an interest in the human body you need alot of time toward anatomy so study is priority.

But i advise for a 50-50 if you feel burn out

It just depend how much your into drawing gain .I certain believe that you need to be able to find the right balance to be able to move from one comfort zone to the next.Some people get more motivated by there study and there ability to repilicate what they see and some get more motivated by drawing subject matter that motivate them.
I know what you mean. One of the biggest reasons why I don't have a good balance is because when I do studies, I like to grind until I manage to make some kind of progress or it feels like I wasted time. This happens especially when I'm trying something new. I end up going until I'm too tired to do anything fun. Since I've been looking through a ton of my artbooks for inspiration, I feel like I may be finding that balance soon.
A few more foot and cloth studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

Last of last week's cloth studies, along with a few warm up pages.

Attached Files Image(s)

Starting my head and facial studies with a few skulls.

Attached Files Image(s)

You should try to keep the proportion consistent across the rotation if you want to learn how to do it it call a turn around it generally use in character design course.But it rarely ever discuse in detail.Maybe it just that you rescale stuff to fit them in i don't know but it a useful skill to have to rotate object and for modelling purpose.

My Sketchbook
(08-22-2021, 05:32 AM)darktiste Wrote: You should try to keep the proportion consistent across the rotation if you want to learn how to do it it call a turn around it generally use in character design course.But it rarely ever discuse in detail.Maybe it just that you rescale stuff to fit them in i don't know but it a useful skill to have to rotate object and for modelling purpose.
It was difficult to keep everything lined up. Trying to do it by eye definitely didn't help. I'm looking through some character turnaround tutorials to learn how to do it properly.
Was doing some proportion charts along with the head/facial studies in my sketchbook and decided to map out some muscle groups on a few of the figures. Wasn't crazy about how these turned out, but I'm confident the next attempt will be much better.

Attached Files Image(s)

Attempted to do some faces and a few torso anatomy studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

Not crazy about these

Attached Files Image(s)

Maybe just add a bit of value on the full blue one just to add that volume because full head on figure and back view kinda read flatter normally and they could use that extra contrast to pop out of the background and the square don't generally help seperated them from the paper since it 2d .That just my two sent also why are they not break down with more color like the other you abandon them?

My Sketchbook
(08-28-2021, 07:26 AM)darktiste Wrote: Maybe just add a bit of value on the full blue one just to add that volume because full head on figure and back view kinda read flatter normally and they could use that extra contrast to pop out of the background and the square don't generally help seperated them from the paper since it 2d .That just my two sent also why are they not break down with more color like the other you abandon them?
There's been alotta bad weather in my area lately, resulting in random power outages. A few layers weren't backed up before the first outage, so I just posted it as is.
A few studies. I wanna stick to a handful of things over a longer period of time. Since I've been doing torso and faces for a while now, I think I'm gonna keep going with those along with digital painting.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm still struggling with faces, so I did a few tracings of Steven Ellison's (Flying Lotus) face to try to get a better understanding of the planes along with the placement of the features. I gonna try again, but make the break down simpler so I can have my own method to refer back to. Next are a few botched attempts a ctrl paint rendering exercise. It's the round surfaces that are giving me trouble, especially if they're overlapping. I took a break and tried doing a few round objects from imagination. Weren't as good as I hoped, but at least I got an idea of what I should be focusing on painting wise. Gonna pay more attention to contrast, the relationship between core and cast shadows when they intersect and practice making smother value transitions.

Attached Files Image(s)