hi guys
hello everyone hope you guys are all well,

I have been searching for a site similar to concept art.org and came across this little gem!

Examples of my work in no particular order if you're interested. here

i'm an illustrator (or aspiring? not sure) who has been around the block so to speak and have been all over the place and ultra demotivated when it comes to making art i'm looking to truly get back into the swing of things.

i learnt the basics of how to draw and approach art in college and i picked up graphic design and did that as a job full time pre covid to enhance the design side of my illustrations and that has helped me a bunch but still a long ways to go though. I love colours, cartoons and line drawings/work so that have influenced my approach to art a ton.

i love story driven fantasy based art and want do a lot of that in the future, i am also looking to improve my technical skills, like studying values cuz i suck at that (i really struggle to paint in monotone) and i double suck at hairs. so i am looking to improve that too. i feel like i could push the story telling elements in my art tenfold if i can improve  my landscapes 

i know these things don't happen overnight and takes a lot of time and is a tall order but my body and brain is ready !

thank you ^.also where to start?
Hi and welcome :D cool stuff from your link!

CA.org has been dead for a long time now so I'm like you, I found refuge here and actually very recently started an SB. Where to start you say? Make a sketchbook and git drawing and start making those fantasy illustrations. Tackle monochrome stuff, work on the values, study fantasy paintings and drawings and make little value sketches of those as well maybe. There's a ton you can do, you just have to start *somewhere* ;)

Happy to have you!

Hey, welcome to the dusty dark gym on the corner
It's a great place if you put in the work

as far as where to start
I would suggest thinking about where you (at this stage in your mind) want to end up
or at least as far as the look and quality you'd like out of your own images.
you've alluded to a taste for story driven fantasy and lines

bear in mind the type of art you like to consume and to create can vary,
that said, I think a nice place to start is to put together a board of art that you would be happy to say you had done
once youve over collected, cull it down slightly and see where your interests in style and theme are pooling

a program like pureref is great for making boards and is paid by once off donation basis
i use this program allllll the time for reference boards.

ok, so youve got your dream portfolio infront of you, minus the you
so now its time to add the you and break down what you actually need to prioritize.

studies are great, but you get a whole lot more out of them if you know why youre doing them.
hope, that helps,

If you have particular pieces you dont know how to move forward or any questions,
welcome to hit me up here or through instagram

good luck to you and again, welcome

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(07-24-2020, 10:29 AM)Uiriamu Wrote: Hi and welcome :D cool stuff from your link!

CA.org has been dead for a long time now so I'm like you, I found refuge here and actually very recently started an SB. Where to start you say? Make a sketchbook and git drawing and start making those fantasy illustrations. Tackle monochrome stuff, work on the values, study fantasy paintings and drawings and make little value sketches of those as well maybe. There's a ton you can do, you just have to start *somewhere* ;)

Happy to have you!
Thank you! been having a browse on this site feeling hella inspired by the work i see! yeah i will definitely start a sketchbook had a ton of fun keeping one on CA too, and you're right as long as i make a start and tackle it bit by bit can't really go wrong there :D
(07-24-2020, 01:59 PM)xelfereht Wrote: Hey, welcome to the dusty dark gym on the corner
It's a great place if you put in the work

as far as where to start
I would suggest thinking about where you (at this stage in your mind) want to end up
or at least as far as the look and quality you'd like out of your own images.
you've alluded to a taste for story driven fantasy and lines

bear in mind the type of art you like to consume and to create can vary,
that said, I think a nice place to start is to put together a board of art that you would be happy to say you had done
once youve over collected, cull it down slightly and see where your interests in style and theme are pooling

a program like pureref is great for making boards and is paid by once off donation basis
i use this program allllll the time for reference boards.

ok, so youve got your dream portfolio infront of you, minus the you
so now its time to add the you and break down what you actually need to prioritize.

studies are great, but you get a whole lot more out of them if you know why youre doing them.
hope, that helps,

If you have particular pieces you dont know how to move forward or any questions,
welcome to hit me up here or through instagram

good luck to you and again, welcome

thank you especially for the advice it's given me some ideas on how i want to start and approach my journey ^^

Yeah i have pure ref myself i used to swear by it but i haven't used it in a while though :( 

i noticed you guys have a discord too so i joined on there as i'm most active on there

thanks again!