Seeking critics about this light/color study
Hi guys, here's my latest work
I'm tryin to study a different way of using color and light than my usual artworks (most of them are really flat style), but I'm not 100% happy with the result and I really can't tell why.
Let me know what you think!
(it's a fan art from the hbo series 'Euphoria')

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-08-2020, 01:54 AM)simonzdanugget Wrote: Hi guys, here's my latest work
I'm tryin to study a different way of using color and light than my usual artworks (most of them are really flat style), but I'm not 100% happy with the result and I really can't tell why.
Let me know what you think!
(it's a fan art from the hbo series 'Euphoria')

So, color is pretty flexible
whats making things look flat is not giving enough attention to light and form
your'e in effect, not in control of the light direction and values.

the values describe the light so when they are placed poorly they will describe something but not what you might want
for example, how are her teeth and eyes white? the light isnt that bright and its also red so white things would pick up that red color.

I'm not sure if you were intentionally trying to push the size of the facial features,
but another thing that stands out is your tendency towards symbolic imagination of features over what youre actually observing.
This is adding to the flatness of things
details, they get lost in shadows
details, they attract attention, pay mind to whether they are attracting attention to where you want them to
saturation, its very saturated. It's your image so you can take control over things like saturation to display whats important, in this case probably the face, but even in the face, the saturation is pretty even so again more flatness

did a little paint over, hope that helps.

[Image: de2uhoe-38c1cb41-1b8f-4264-adfd-c99ba9fc...pucbYbHuBw]
[Image: posim_by_andrew_gibbons_de2uhoy-fullview...pRhCry2hqo]

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357