I MISS FORUMS, MAN!
I missed forums, I used to lurk all the time back in the concept art days. Social media just buries everything under it's content juicing algorithms. Since this seems to be the last active art forum I'm gonna do my best to be active, and post "quality" material.

A little about myself: I like drawing, writing, reading. I got an egg head to matched my receding hairline, and I love art.

P.S. I'm Shammah, nice to meet y'all.
Welcome, yeah I feel ya about the social media, fb group type thing, just not the same..

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(09-29-2020, 10:01 AM)xelfereht Wrote: Welcome, yeah I feel ya about the social media, fb group type thing, just not the same..
I hate facebook groups, but that's because I was never good at navigating social media. I just want to be able to have more meaningful conversations, but it seems hard to come by online.
Ah, don't we all? Welcome to the Daggers! :)

(10-02-2020, 06:05 AM)Olooriel Wrote: Ah, don't we all? Welcome to the Daggers! :)
Thank you!
Welcome to the forum fella - hope you have some good conversations on here!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

This forum is one of a kind indeed. I tried visiting my old sketchbooks on other forums from 2015, and it turned out all the forums were gone ...

Make sure to post a sketchbook and keep us up to date on your art journey! Tons of people here will be happy to help! :)

I 100% agree the other platforms are just too big for the sort of community you need cultivate for artists, but especially Artists starting out and/or needing a creative push and guidance from more experienced peers. Facebook is really for family and friends, you can't post multiple posts on Reddit without it feeling like spam, and I'm not sure if it will be all that good bumping your post so the right people will see it. And, regarding Instagram it can be awkward for artists practicing master studies on a same platform that the actual artist hosts on. Even if you post and label it correctly, it might not defend you from stan culture. It's more image heavy and not community ready. You post and go, post and go, post and go. You can feel pressure to always post your best work, even if that's not actually helpful to you. One of the most inspiring and amazing things about CA was you saw absolute novices, become masters in their field in span of a only a couple of years, via personal dedication, and the other forum users encouraging and pushing other members forward. And, of course getting expert feedback. The forum user interface, also let people easily walk through other people's journey, without having to scroll though a feed that can take hours. I have yet to see Twitter, Facebook, Reddit or Instagram produce the stories of Rapoza, Miles Johnson, algenpfleger or Hardesty

Bigger platforms as just too big and fast, it's only really helpful if you are already established. Sometime I feel like I have 'missed the boat' so to speak and I wished I had the confidence to post on CA when I first heard about it. (I was only a year older than Johnson and I felt bad then) At least Crimson Dagger is still poppin. It's like the 'last man standing'. (I guess along with Cubebrush. There are others, but this seems to retain the most traffic.)
@Dominicque

Indeed. This forum is really one of a kind, and a place that I keep coming back to! As long as just one more person here is posting, I will keep coming back to provide feedback and crits!

We can all improve as artists as long as we are willing to put down the work! And forums like these are a great way to put pressure on ourselves to stay productive!

(01-19-2021, 02:10 AM)Zorrentos Wrote: @Dominicque

Indeed. This forum is really one of a kind, and a place that I keep coming back to! As long as just one more person here is posting, I will keep coming back to provide feedback and crits!

We can all improve as artists as long as we are willing to put down the work! And forums like these are a great way to put pressure on ourselves to stay productive!

That's really great man, I know CA may seem like a 'lightning in a bottle', but an art forum allows you to showcase your work in that way a newer platform can't. I hope CD lasts for a long time, just wish there were more people here. But, the more we post... I tried Discord just to see where the majority of the online art community has got and HOLY COW this shit is hard to navigate. It's so busy and unlike a forum you really don't get a designated space to host your work and see your progress. You get lost in the umpteen chats and the speed. Where's the breathing space? A sketchbook forum is basically a virtual studio space, in which fellow artists can peek round and see what you are doing, rather than you feeling you are shoving your work in other people's faces. Discord feels like a crowd. Doesn't seem very productive nor intuitive. Gah!