Dominicque's Sketchbook
Hi, I'm Dominicque. I made a sketchbook page on CA, before it went belly up. I originally came across CA in my early teens, but was scared to post, because of the quality of my art. Years later, I did start to regularly post my post, but by that time CA was on it's last legs. The close community feel of advice and companionship is something that you really can't find on other sites. And, I really need a sense of direction.

I wasn't really a lack of motivation that stopped me, it was a fear of doing something wrong. I reluctant of doing studies, in case I remembered too much when pursuing my own work. I would psych myself out that much I just didn't enjoy drawing. This developed into analysis paralysis. It's years later I discover the majority, if not all of the artists I admired copied during their formulative years. 

I know Rapoza started as a self-taught beginner and I remember listening to him in Bobby Chiu's QnA and he said somethink I wish I heard 15 years ago. Basically summarized as 'even if you copy other artists, when you draw it will still be you at the end of the day'. I was scared of following my influences, because I thought to myself 'Is this really mine?' And, getting into philosophical questions over ownership. Artists steal from anything and everything and this congeals into their style. I was so worried about being 'original', I wasn't being authentic to myself. I am now actively trying to learn from my 'Art Parents'. It's OK to draw knowledge from others, no one creates in vacuum. I wish 13 year old me could have heard and internalised this, as it would have saved me a shit ton of headache and anxiety. I was even nervous over using tutorials and drawing people out and about. I kept agonizing over what drawing from imagination even was. When I drew it looked crap, if I wanted to know how to draw a cityscape or a cat, was it OK to look it up? I could study it, but thenwhat? Were references OK? Artists, even professional ones use references. Frank Quitely saying in his 'What Do Artists All Day' documentary, he copied Akira art for hours. People study Loomis and Hogarth, but their work doesn't look like either of them, unless they are pushing for that style. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Then... I came across the 'Helsinki Bus Station Theory'. All I need to do was stay on the fucking bus. I know that I can start now, but I still feel as though I've wasted time.  And, it's honestly overwhelming.[/font]

'Drawing from imagination, is just drawing from memory'. I wished artists were more honest about this. It was an 'Oh' moment when someone said it so plainly. In order to build my visual library, it is a necessity. You drawn from life, references, and other artists to create something new and unique to you. Just stay on the fucking bus.

The fear is something I'm working through, and I know it won't go overnight, but at least I'm using references now, which is something I wouldn't have done even ten years ago. 

Another thing, I was so myopically focused on everything being accurate/looking good I neglected drawing what I wanted from imagination. I need to learn how to draw for pleasure, again. I would just put this off saying 'I wasn't good enough, yet'. I now know this was the wrong way to think and approach my artwork. Now, I'm drawing the things I always wanted to draw, even from years ago. Even if my artwork isn't at the level I want it at now, I'm still developing by created more finished pieces. 

Having a new job(s), so will have less time to draw, but Ill do what I can.
I will post a mixture of new and old stuff, but it's all within a couple of years.

This sketchbook thread will be a mixture of Master copies, studies and imaginative work.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

I made her look older than what she is.
[/font]

[/font]
[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[/font]

How do I remove an attached post? Also, this posted before I was ready. I was trying to remove an image. :/
Hi, are we limited on what we can post per day?
Welcome to the forums Dominicque! It's so cool to see old CA.org veterans trickling in! I agree that there is a sense of community and closeness that forums like these can only provide! I hope that you will continue to post here and grow together with the rest of us!

I think your work so far is looking quite nice! Your colors are not bad, and your faces are looking very good and appealing. However, you do need to work on your bodies and hands. The hands especially are looking quite rough in comparison with the rest of the drawings.

There is also a lack of shape and dimension. Your characters and subjects are looking quite flat, and do not look as if they were placed within a 3D area. Try to imagine them standing on a grid and how they would look in space when you are sketching them out.

I recommend that you go back to the basics and learn how to set up proper 3D grids and how to place objects in space. That would probably improve your art a lot in a short time. This book is a classic and a must to study from:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-sketchin...1933492732

Best of luck! And I hope to see more of you art in the future! Keep up the good work! :)

(01-21-2021, 09:40 PM)Zorrentos Wrote: Welcome to the forums Dominicque! It's so cool to see old CA.org veterans trickling in! I agree that there is a sense of community and closeness that forums like these can only provide! I hope that you will continue to post here and grow together with the rest of us!

I think your work so far is looking quite nice! Your colors are not bad, and your faces are looking very good and appealing. However, you do need to work on your bodies and hands. The hands especially are looking quite rough in comparison with the rest of the drawings.

There is also a lack of shape and dimension. Your characters and subjects are looking quite flat, and do not look as if they were placed within a 3D area. Try to imagine them standing on a grid and how they would look in space when you are sketching them out.

I recommend that you go back to the basics and learn how to set up proper 3D grids and how to place objects in space. That would probably improve your art a lot in a short time. This book is a classic and a must to study from:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-sketchin...1933492732

Best of luck! And I hope to see more of you art in the future! Keep up the good work! :)
Hi Zorrentos, forgot to mention the only thing I wasn't afraid to draw was faces. Maybe I rationalized it in my young head as 'Everyone has a face. All faces are different by nature'. So, I wasn't scared of getting into trouble. That's why my work is centered on faces, with that area having the most detail. However, I am trying to move away from that. 
The bad thing with being cognizant of your faults is you are acutely aware of just how much there is to learn. I'm trying to learn so much, and sometime I feel very behind, but I'm just trying to take one day at a time. I've only just started slightly understand how to paint. But, I still suck especially without a reference.  You say the colours aren't too bad, but I didn't post the really sucky stuff, pumping myself up to show the really bad stuff.
I have heard of Scott Robertson and the book is on my list. I have so many 'core-reading' art books.

Thanks, for the comment and encouragement. Let's see if I can make a home here. 
P.S Is there a limit on what we can post daily, regarding attachments?
We usually tend to stick to what we are already good at, so it's always a great idea to go outside our comfort zone.

Don't be too afraid of being behind. We are all behind in some ways, and we could all be doing more with our time. At least you have found your way here, and as long as you are consistent and post your artworks for critique, you will improve! If you go outside your comfort zone and actually spend time learning more about the fundamentals you need to work on, you will probably improve very rapidly as well!

Afaik, there is no limit to the daily attachments we can post.

(01-21-2021, 11:17 PM)Zorrentos Wrote: We usually tend to stick to what we are already good at, so it's always a great idea to go outside our comfort zone.

Don't be too afraid of being behind. We are all behind in some ways, and we could all be doing more with our time. At least you have found your way here, and as long as you are consistent and post your artworks for critique, you will improve! If you go outside your comfort zone and actually spend time learning more about the fundamentals you need to work on, you will probably improve very rapidly as well!

Afaik, there is no limit to the daily attachments we can post.

My biggest problem was I never used to let myself have a comfort-zone, gotta let myself enjoy the process of actually drawing, rather than getting angry at myself over mistakes. I can do studies, I just have to remember to take the time to put them into context and be kind to myself. I asked about the limit, because I'm trying to upload a new post with images, and it says I've reached a limit. No idea what to do next? The message keeps saying 'You can upload a maximum of 8.39 bytes at once.' Yet, it says this at the bottom 'Your allocated attachment usage quota is Unlimited. You are currently using 6.78 MB.' I tried deleting an attachment, but it deletes the whole image. Now, it won't even let me upload an attachment. Do you know where I can go to ask for help?
Hey let me add my welcome to you as well Dominicque!

Great to have you aboard :).

Your intro resonated with me in so many ways!

'Drawing from imagination, is just drawing from memory' - this is so true but seldom have I heard it stated so effectively!

I too have fallen into the trap of being afraid - I am afraid of inventing my own stuff - I'm so used to copying and studying that the thought of inventing a piece of art myself fills me with fear. However I realised last year that this was one of my weaknesses so I am forcing myself to to more invented stuff - even when I study.

Also - if you need admin help - you could Private Message a guy called DK - he's the owner and admin of this forum - a great guy :).

Anyway - all the best with everything :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Music 
(01-22-2021, 08:45 AM)Artloader Wrote: Hey let me add my welcome to you as well Dominicque!

Great to have you aboard :).

Your intro resonated with me in so many ways! 

'Drawing from imagination, is just drawing from memory' - this is so true but seldom have I heard it stated so effectively!

I too have fallen into the trap of being afraid - I am afraid of inventing my own stuff - I'm so used to copying and studying that the thought of inventing a piece of art myself fills me with fear.  However I realised last year that this was one of my weaknesses so I am forcing myself to to more invented stuff - even when I study.

Also - if you need admin help - you could Private Message a guy called DK - he's the owner and admin of this forum - a great guy :).

Anyway - all the best with everything :).
Hi, thanks for the warm welcome Artloader :). 
I heard this earlier from a previous websearch and then saw other artists saying the same if similar things. Recently heard Kim Jung Gi say via Proko 'Don't draw what you see, draw what you have seen'. I just really wish this was a common refrain from decades ago, so that my 13 year old self didn't freak out about doing studies, remembering poses (turns out not copyrightable. Which is a good thing.) and actually being influenced by my favourite artists. Surely, that's the main reason people decided to pick up a pencil and draw themselves, anyway! When I was younger I saw people make fun of young and/or inexperienced artists (still do), and bashing on 'art thieves'. My young self got very freaked out all in a bid to safeguard themselves from criticism, so I tried not looking at other artists, references, tutorials, nothing. I would never trace, but that doesn't mean the guilt still wasn't there. (Of course, now I know people trace as a drawing exercise.) And, of course when my art still wasn't what I wanted it to be, I got even more stressed. It really took the joy out of creating. I just wanted to create stories. Someone who was around the same age as me started a CA thread and is now a super successful artist, because he was unafraid of doing what I was afraid of doing. I try not to compare myself to him, but it's hard. 'What Ifs' keep on floating around my head. Some time I feel so behind. 

The fear won't just go away, but I'm making steps away from it, but it is difficult. I made this thread to link with other like-minded individuals to ask questions/get guidance and for hopefully some sense of direction. 

Always try to put what you're doing context. I drew a picture of a girl looking up, for example and it's only when drawing a similar picture from imagination that that knowledge actually started seeping into my head and it helped me fill out the neck. Try to picture what you want to draw and at least map in out, then look for reference to complete it.

Thanks, I will contact DK, if my quiry isn't resolved by the forum.

Attached Files Image(s)

That's some great mileage! I think you are doing the right thing to focus on the anatomy studies for a while. Make sure to do a lot of them, then apply them from imagination on a separate page and see where you went wrong. Another thing that helps is taking a lot of notes along with your studies.

Keep up the good work!

''Ir wasn't really a lack of motivation that stopped me, it was a fear of doing something wrong. I reluctant of doing studies, in case I remembered too much when pursuing my own work. I would psych myself out that much I just didn't enjoy drawing. This developed into analysis paralysis. It's years later I discover the majority, if not all of the artists I admired copied during their formulative years. ''

First of all artist any artist that want to improve will be face with the dilema of where does one stop to auto critic there work.There as to be compassion applied to leave room for growth.

Drawing is enjoyable until it become a task but it doesn't necessarly stop being enjoyable it just require increasingly more brain matter to process what your learning.A begginer should not expect to be sitting and drawing as much as is favorite artist that unrealistic and destructive.Yes it alot of work but without patience it a path toward destruction.

Fear are irational they grow when you water them daily... and not act to resolve the issue.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(01-24-2021, 04:13 PM)Zorrentos Wrote: That's some great mileage! I think you are doing the right thing to focus on the anatomy studies for a while. Make sure to do a lot of them, then apply them from imagination on a separate page and see where you went wrong. Another thing that helps is taking a lot of notes along with your studies.

Keep up the good work!
Hi, thanks! I've been studying so much, sometimes I'm so aimless and bored. Sometime it feels as though its not going in. Need to try more from imagination. I get so frustrated, but I find higher enjoyment. Still learning not to be afraid of applying what I have learn. Already taking notes, including of anything I'm interested in. Easiest paper laying around.  Tongue  I have around three sketchbooks laying around that I'm scanning through, reminds me of how many I actually have, including spare paper.
(01-24-2021, 06:51 PM)darktiste Wrote: ''Ir wasn't really a lack of motivation that stopped me, it was a fear of doing something wrong. I reluctant of doing studies, in case I remembered too much when pursuing my own work. I would psych myself out that much I just didn't enjoy drawing. This developed into analysis paralysis. It's years later I discover the majority, if not all of the artists I admired copied during their formulative years. ''

First of all artist any artist that want to improve will be face with the dilema of where does one stop to auto critic there work.There as to be compassion applied to leave room for growth.

Drawing is enjoyable until it become a task but it doesn't necessarly stop being enjoyable it just require increasingly more brain matter to process what your learning.A begginer should not expect to be sitting and drawing as much as is favorite artist that unrealistic and destructive.Yes it alot of work but without patience it a path toward destruction.

Fear are irational they grow when you water them daily... and not act to resolve the issue.
Well, I'm trying now. What's really frustrating is I knew how to improve, it's all about analysing, I was just afraid to apply what I had learn. I just wanted to draw pictures for fandom, it's only when worried about my quality and how to improve (A.K.A Looking at other artists.), that art making became REALLY joyless for me. Can't really enjoy the money if you are worried about A) Sucking B) Ruining my reputation is an art drama.

You are right though, in that someone starting in their art journey should  and must  be kind to themselves. They don't know how long it took an artist they admire to produce said piece, nor how many years it took to get to that skill level. Easier said than done, though.   Blushing

I think the reason the studies (and from imagination) may seem perfunctory is because I was scared to apply the knowledge, I had just studied.

No idea why the last image is registering as an 'attached file', when I inserted it into the post?

Attached Files Image(s)

In this post, I actually try to draw from imagination and implement my studies. However, I was still stressed with my '''stealing''' fear, I'm sure you can probably tell.  Thinking

There are quite a few artists and illustrators that I really love for the way they approach their mark making, painting or a specific element. The king of facial expressions for me has to be Mr. Kevin Macguire. He are some studies of his works, which I then applied, along with a Mucha one and Leydecker. Keep on trying to tell myself it's OK and part of the artistic process. Anxiety gets the better of me, sometimes. 

Was watching a documentary of a really old tattooist, and felt really inspired to draw. Can't remember name of doc. 

Learning to paint is hard Y'all.

Does the mod know when you try to delete an attachment, it instead decides to post your post before you are even ready?

Attached Files Image(s)

Try to draw ore things from my head, including a bit more conceptual stuff. I'l probably try to draw these again in the future.

I was trying to draw them in flight fighting, but as you can see the foreshortening is all off. Instead of being in perspective, his leg just looks short.

Tried to draw a panel from a book I want to write. Wanted to draw her holding a 'Money tree' and scared, because people were running at her. I used references, but the same usual problems with me. Blushing So I stopped.
Morticia.

Drew a post, then attempted to draw it from another angle.

Loish study. 

Here is where I start to make the effort of drawing all the images I wanted to draw since I was 13. Starting with fandom stuff. 
More applying the Loish study. 

Daughters of the Dragon. 
X-23 bonding with Logan, by fixing his bike. Deffo wanna redraw this.

Trying to get an idea down from my head.

Tend to focus on line over everything else Tongue , but that's not the only thing I want to get good at.
First up a still life of my mum.

Jewellery design. 

Alien character design and story panel of a story I've been trying to write forever.

Tattoo flash design.

I tried to draw a girl floating in the water, but really unsure of how she was supposed to lay in it and how much of her body is supposed to show. 

Ear practice and in different mediums.

Got designdoll around this time.

Catwoman and Catwoman turnaround. Strong influence of Adam Hughes.

Mera

Someone on CA said these looked like 'bolt-on tits' and I think I agree.

My fav

[/font]

'Bloodchild' fanart by Octavia Butler.

Family life drawing.

Deffo wanna start doing more conceptual illustration.

Music video concept.

Flavourgirls' portrait. My girlgroup that I like to draw outfits and concepts for. My other pictures are in my other sketchbook, once I find. Will post.

Wondy, again. 

People from uni.

Actually trying to draw some comic panels.

People sketching at university.

I actually really love how I drew her face.