Jana´s Art Journey
Seeing new information doesn't reduce one ability to do work to a standstill but it does put a tool on the processing ability as the brain is probably saturated with new information that distract the person.

If you want to see growth think of the following.

In all honest opinion it a matter of understanding the principle---)observation of those principle---) application of art principle.

The basis is a good undestanding of the fundamental.
The observation of those principle as being factual in a 3d base reality then solidify those fundamental as having authority and truth.
Then come the correct translation of that theory and observation into application of pratical exercise that renforce fundamental that support other fundamental.

Art block: A temporary moment where desatisfaction can happen.

1.Due to comparaison 2.Discouragememnt 3.Disporprotional gap between either theorical understanding ,observation and application 4.Physical or mental fatigue 5.Personal problem that make art look like an insignificant activity to be engage in 6.Leak of inspiration 7.Leak of innovation and courage to try new thing.

if you find any of those point to be the problem you might want to share it with us so we can provide you some tips on how to get past it.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
@Skeffin That makes sense and is a good explanation of how you can end up beeing frustrated. Thanks for charing!

@Darktiste Also thanks to you for taking the time to respond. I think the reason for my frustrations was a mix of the things you suggest. But I feel like I am already past it and am motivated again :-) I think what helped me personally was, taking a break, trying something new and also the COW and CHOW challenges, as they push me to get something done at a certain time even if I am not thrilled with the result.

Few things I worked on since last update:

CHOW Beastly Botanist, really wanted to try linework
[Image: VzlBVDZl.jpg]
[Image: u5hcYs8l.jpg]

After that I saw a tutorial on how to do lineless art (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkaDOtSdnvY).
I tried to make some Spiritfarer fanart, but after flatcolouring it, I colud not pull it off
[Image: 2dnGshzm.jpg]
So instead I searched for some refrence and tried to put colour in with the lasso tool, this turned out to be a very effective way for me 
[Image: J6huRxBl.jpg]
I even tried to belnd it a bit with the gouache blending tool, but didnt feel like working on it anymore afterwards
[Image: 5AMm1v8m.jpg]
WIP for the COW Mad Scientist
[Image: D5PnJMGl.jpg]

The mad scientist piece looks super cool!

You got some beautiful studies :) especially ice
And citrus dragons are just adorable!

Nice studies here! I like your latest with the scientist, some really dynamic lighting there that you pulled off nicely. Keep it up!

Thanks a lot for your positive reactions, keeps me motivated :)

Finished CHOW and COW
[Image: 1mVsGo2l.jpg]
[Image: pEeiGGJl.jpg]

Watched a video about head construction
[Image: kHJZYuhl.jpg]

After that I did two Light Studys:
[Image: MJwDXqzm.jpg][Image: pt6Sedil.jpg]
[Image: ARIxkvml.jpg]
[Image: 1dzb6F8l.jpg]

The second made me super happy. I mean there is still a lot to critisize (please do!). But I tried to draw this some years ago and now I can really see that I actually improved.

This is what the sketch looked like before I got too frustrated with it (Warning for ugliness):

[Image: iAgW16rl.jpg]
[Image: VNv18Zul.jpg][Image: b4d1c3797a6ef1202d1cd60948039775.jpg]

[Image: 1F9WwFnl.jpg]
[Image: face-women-model-portrait-nose-rings-bru...-28232.jpg]

Tried to do a personal piece, but painting the faces always failed. So I left it for now and did some Face Study.

Todays update. Gave the mermaid piece another try, but the progress with that is very slooow.

[Image: RJOucoFl.jpg]

[Image: OUf45xWl.jpg]

Looking good! Your value studies are very solid with some of your latest. I would keep the focus on construction for your figures as I feel those could be a bit stronger to be honest, but great updates overall. Keep it going!

Thank you :) Yeah, I think so too. I always feel compelled to finish everything I started, but maybe sometimes it would be better to put it aside and work on the basics first.

I can see you doing the same thing I often do, and work very heavily in one area then have to find a way to piece together the image around it. What would you say is your vision for the image and what you think is missing? The Mermaid doppleganger for example, there's more focus on the faces, but the limbs are very much not knowing what to do or the background bare, looking like the perspective is exaggerated to fit in the frame and doesn't match up with the figures. Do you have a story behind it that might help give you ideas of how to add to it?

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Hello! Pretty cool sketchbook. Definitely keep doing those studies. I'd also like you to use a bit more contrast to in your work( it helps the image to looks more "finished"), you can use this to guide viewers eye where you want them to look. Also something I struggle with, hard edges. Try to introduce some soft vs hard edges, you can also use soft edges to show depth.
I would also advice what I'm trying to do mysefl. Before doing the actual study, observe the reference for a few minutes, take notes if you find something important you'd like to paint spot on, skin color, pose anything. Keep working hard, you are on a great path!