Nunkui, sketch for woodblock print
Hi! It's my first time posting here, I'm glad I found a nice art forum at last. I finished an ink and watercolor sketch sometime ago, it was supposed to be a quick sketch but I couldn't help myself and ended up finishing it on the small piece of paper I started it. I'm going to carve an improved version into some wood blocks to make prints in traditional japanese style, but I don't know what exactly needs improving and what should remain as is, I know the anatomy is wrong but I can't quite put my finger on it. Any help or critiques are welcome, thanks in advance! 
Welcome to the forum! This is really cool! such intricate detail, I'm wondering how difficult that will be to carve. it's interesting how you compose things geometrically by connecting implied lines together. Where did you learn to do that?

I don't really have any advice, other than I would agree that the woman is the less strong part, but I'm not sure exactly what it is either. Nothing seems technically far wrong at all, but maybe stylistically she differs from other elements.

(06-15-2021, 11:38 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Welcome to the forum! This is really cool! such intricate detail, I'm wondering how difficult that will be to carve. it's interesting how you compose things geometrically by connecting implied lines together. Where did you learn to do that?

I don't really have any advice, other than I would agree that the woman is the less strong part, but I'm not sure exactly what it is either. Nothing seems technically far wrong at all, but maybe stylistically she differs from other elements.
Thanks! I was inspired by some works I found online by Georgy Kurasov, but he actually sticks a lot more to geometry and lines, distorting his figures to fit them, I wanted mine to be more traditional and to have a bit of freedom using the lines just as a guide. I first made a basic fibonacci spiral layout, then separated it into rectangles, and made a diagonal line inside each rectangle in the direction I wanted, and wherever two of those lines intersected, I drew vertical and horizontal lines, thus making more rectangles and repeated the process until I felt the lines were enough, then chose where to put mountains and everything else. The part with the rectangles and lines is informal composition, I read abut it in a book by Andrew Loomis a friend had, I don't remember the exact title of the book but it allows creative freedom while providing guidelines as needed.
As for the female figure, I guess I'll have to redraw her on her own, maybe it's the lack of detail on her.