Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Blog

"The difficulties of not knowing are much greater than the effort of learning"
sketchbook pages, still trying to figure out this scanner

Attached Files Image(s)

Last update of 2012, and it is a big one D:
all the assignments from the last 10 weeks of Isra's awesome mentorship which has now finished, but I learnt so much so I am happy and some unfinished sketches which I have done on the side of the mentorship.
PS. Won't include the last assignment as I am working on trying to fix the mistakes and pushing it :D
Have an awesome 2013 everyone!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Keep pushing it Miles, try doing studies that you will use for your piece, applying your study is even more effective!

film still, wip personal illustration, values studies, self portrait, application of first film still, I have sketchbook pages as well as other pieces of work this month but I just don't feel like uploading that stuff

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work man, keep pushing. The self portrait looks cool btw.

Thanks Jake, and thanks for the advice Dom !!
Battling my mortal enemy hands D: and wrestling with some skin tones

Attached Files Image(s)

GO GO MILES! Keep pushing it!

I have been destroyed by exams, so never really found time or energy to update this so here goes. I have done a lot of sketchbook drawing but scanning that will take for ever, painting has been here or there. The last sketch was just me playing around in Corel Painter trying the brushes to see what I like. First real paintings in it, but think I will start using it as it is less intensive on my laptop, plus Photoshop ran out ;-;

Attached Files Image(s)

Man that was inspiring! Really cool sketchbook, it's awesome seeing someone so young working hard and doing pretty well already. Hope you keep posting and good luck!
okaaaay.. poses, some studies and and application from memory, trying to avoid study sickness by doing work from imagination, but I really don't want to post it on this sb just yet as it looks like poop and I need to push all my imagination work a lot further.
Dom: Thanks :D
TonariNoPunpun: Thanks for the encouragement, good luck to you to! :D

Attached Files Image(s)

GO EGBU!
Yeah, doing imagination work as muxh as studies is very important ( algenpfleger says its best to to them "50/50"). Sometimes when I do only studies, it fells like I'm just copying and not learning much... Keep going man!

Your faces are getting much better, Miles. Keep up it up!

mostly been doing some terrible sculpting a 30 minute speedpainting and fanart for isra's fake oc , and going to render the torso bust some more
Tonari: yeah I always try to avoid doing studies without thinking because I did it a lot at the beginning at the start of this sketchbook, still drift off during studies from time to time though
Terran: Thanks man! :D
[Image: 28jl2tl.jpg]
[Image: o5uz4n.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

Quick update: Torso Sculpture [Image: t8ndrr.jpg]

So recently I have been slowing down on studies a bit because I feel like they can only help me so much, before I have to get my hands "dirty" and start painting from imagination to apply all the stuff I learnt. I have been doing 30 minute speedpaintings, not necessarily to get faster, but it has helped make the things I am bad out stick out like a sore thumb and one of those things is values. When I was painting in colour from the start shapes and planes were not reading well even if they were completely different colours, so that made me realize that I should start making sure I keep values in mine more or else the whole painting will just fall apart. This might be the biggest chunk of text I have written in this sb so far, but anyway here are my failed attempts at painting, with the last image being an illustration that stemmed from a speedpainting.
Crits wanted!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Egbu. Looking at those last two value sketches I think you're using too narrow a range of mid values which makes everything look too gray and washed out. You could do with some really dark values in there. Try creating a palette of four values; a dark, a light and two values between the two. Don't blend them, just try breaking everything down into those four distinct values. For really good practice try painting still life using just four values.

Great pushing to do more stuff from imagination, thats my next step :P
definitely agree with Ignatz, great advice.
Oh and that sculptures very cool! :)

Ignatz: Thanks for the crit, I actually spent quite a long time trying to fix the values after seeing your crit, but after a while I realized the whole image was too broken so I moved on

DanBK: Thanks :D

Study & application of study

Attached Files Image(s)

hey egbu. I agree with ignatz that the values could use a bit of work. sometimes i work on something and i dont realize the values are off until i am done, but playing with the brightness/contrast adjustment layer can help a great deal. keep at it man