Please paintover my Pin-up Poster with better lighting (might be NSFW)
Hi everyone! I drew this pin-up poster for my BFA animation senior thesis project. The main character in the center is a rock star giglio, Rick James, Prince, MJ type musician. I know its a bit risque so I'm going to make an alternative with the hand not in the shorts. All jokes aside, I really want to push this piece but I'm not sure how to light it better. There is light coming from behind the models and above from lights in the ceiling. 

Can someone please paint over my drawing with more dynamic, accurate lighting and shading? I am also aware of the slight proportion issues with the legs. If some one can point out how I can fix that too I'd appreciate it. I got very excited with this illustration and rushed passed the constructions stage. Will do better next time.

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you. I'm kind of surprised this is a piece for your BFA lol, I feel like they would have raged against this at my school. But then again, maybe they would have thought it was nice to give representation to a nontraditional relationship. XD

I think if it were my piece I would have the window be a poster. Because it already kind of looks that way since it is quite dark. Right now you have a ton of stuff competing to be bright, the window, TV, rim lights, and shines on the clothing. That way you still communicate the idea of hollywood, but you don't run into the issue of needing that to be a light source and also have a light source inside, and also have it competing with the TV.  In realism there needs to be a strict heirarchy, where the window would need to be almost white in order to be in relation with the interior. With this, you can get away with more since it's stylized, but it still needs to read.

But if you did want it to be a window, i might do something like this. Darkening the interior so that the lights behind them read better. The downside is that it makes the colors duller, which is again why I think just simplifying the problem by not having the window is a good option.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-20-2021, 05:17 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you. I'm kind of surprised this is a piece for your BFA lol, I feel like they would have raged against this at my school. But then again, maybe they would have thought it was nice to give representation to a nontraditional relationship. XD

I think if it were my piece I would have the window be a poster. Because it already kind of looks that way since it is quite dark. Right now you have a ton of stuff competing to be bright, the window, TV, rim lights, and shines on the clothing. That way you still communicate the idea of hollywood, but you don't run into the issue of needing that to be a light source and also have a light source inside, and also have it competing with the TV.  In realism there needs to be a strict heirarchy, where the window would need to be almost white in order to be in relation with the interior. With this, you can get away with more since it's stylized, but it still needs to read.

But if you did want it to be a window, i might do something like this. Darkening the interior so that the lights behind them read better. The downside is that it makes the colors duller, which is again why I think just simplifying the problem by not having the window is a good option.

Yes haha we are very liberal here in NYC. I go to SUNY FIT and everyone here is different lol. Thanks very much for the feedback. Your breakdown is helpful and the way you mapped out the light all makes sense to me now. I like the rim light on the girls behind and arm. Thanks again! Will apply your suggestions.
[Image: desrd3h-b102c14b-0268-47ec-a1de-e4884763...oZMVddC12E]

Hey there, did a quick paint. just realized I grabbed the image that josephcow already put some work on.
anyhow. the main thing that sticks out is the feet looking like theyre not conforming to the perspective of the scene.
the straps on the shoe there for example look like we are looking at the shoe at eye level. try your best to imagine turning the objects in your mind if you dont have the appropriate reference, or get some additional reference that better matches the perspective and use the other reference to apply the design in the new perspective.
The lighting sometimes looks like its lit from above and some parts look lit from the front.
theres allot of interacting elements so its quite a bit to tackle but just try to imagine the angle that the light is hitting that particular spot if it were rendered in 3D.
hope thats a little helpful

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(10-14-2021, 06:17 PM)xelfereht Wrote: [Image: desrd3h-b102c14b-0268-47ec-a1de-e4884763...oZMVddC12E]

Hey there, did a quick paint. just realized I grabbed the image that josephcow already put some work on.
anyhow. the main thing that sticks out is the feet looking like theyre not conforming to the perspective of the scene.
the straps on the shoe there for example look like we are looking at the shoe at eye level. try your best to imagine turning the objects in your mind if you dont have the appropriate reference, or get some additional reference that better matches the perspective and use the other reference to apply the design in the new perspective.
The lighting sometimes looks like its lit from above and some parts look lit from the front.
theres allot of interacting elements so its quite a bit to tackle but just try to imagine the angle that the light is hitting that particular spot if it were rendered in 3D.
hope thats a little helpful

This is super helpful wow. Love the paintover and the tips on perspective. I'm just now finding your reply. Thanks!