MangoTangos digital sketchbook
Heart 
Hello everyone. My name is MangoTango and I'm here to share my art and studies, other related stuff, maybe my thoughts about some topics. I'm tired of learning to draw and paint on my own, and probably it is not so effective way of improving skills. 
I am wondering if there any other art- related resorces similar to crimson daggers, where I can post, or nowadays it is more like a discord groups\ google hangouts ? If you know one - please share)

Here some of my latest studies. Lately I draw with Marker Subtool in CSP. 

This video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xQ9-JZHPuQ&t=1205s by Ethan Becker,   influenced me. It is about indecisiveness using brushes with dynamics, which makes your mistakes not so obvious.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Mango and welcome.

Others here can answer better about where else to post — although I visit ArtStation and CGSociety regularly which allow artists to post work — but I'm not sure if you get as much feedback there though.

Your studies look very good in that your forms are proportionate and their poses are often very dynamic.

If you keep posting here, there are many people willing to offer suggestions on how to improve your work.

Keep 'em coming

Jephyr, thank you. I checked CGSociety, looks a little not actual for now. For now I don't have any finished pieces to post on artstation... 

Today I wana share my latest figure practice. In a previous post, I didn't mention that lately I've been practicing figure drawing from other artists work. Many of them are animators and you can learn from them how to simplify forms and put believable poses in different angles. Nevere done this before. I used to studie only from photo reference, thinking that: "it's not good to steal someone else's art- style". )  Such a waste of time. Now, I am convinced, that there is nothing wrong to learn how professionals deals with problems in there drawings.

Page of figures from "The devilman: crybaby". It is not perfect source for practice and there wasn't too much cool action poses, but I like visual-style of the anime, the minimalistic look, almost without shading on the figures.

Hello. Wanna focus on my weak spots that i figured out lately, it is: hands, hair and clothes. I hope that by filling in these gaps I can significantly improve my drawings. Also rendering for me is completely terra incognita, but that's a whole other story)
Hands studie for this time. Used photo- refs and some anatomy books.

Wanted to draw a knight, but it turned out like a Crusader from Darkest Dungeon.

Just an observation, your first post is really impressive. There is a lot of thought put into form, shifting weights, posture etc. Your latest is a bit rougher, the necks don't connect right or jut out like everyone has bad posture, and generally looks like a different person drew it or you weren't 100% invested in it that day. It's a big excersize pumping out poses like this so a friendly service announcement to avoid burnout.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(04-26-2022, 06:45 AM)RottenPocket Wrote: Just an observation,  your first post is really impressive. There is a lot of thought put into form, shifting weights, posture etc. Your latest is a bit rougher, the necks don't connect right or jut out like everyone has bad posture, and generally looks like a different person drew it or you weren't 100% invested in it that day. It's a big excersize pumping out poses like this so a friendly service announcement to avoid burnout.

Thank you for stopping by) I think it's primarily about the reference source. Studie from DevilMan anime wasn't very educational, i guess...
Did a hand study couple days ago. The idea was to learn how some of my fav artists simplifying hands in there work (mostly in sketches or speedpaints). 3 painted hands from the bottom done without reference and it didn't turn out very well.
Star 
Hello. I put some more time in to practicing hands. Reference source this time, was one of George Brigman's anatomy books. Also enjoed pencil - brush) 

Studies is definitely way to improve, but it is so easy to fall in this trap of constant studying and not apply knowledge on practice, on personal, creative work. I notice to myself that I often scared to start personal work, because I know it won't live up to my expectations, to that picture of finished work in my head. It brings me into a loop of studying one subject after another, before I'll be "ready". The problem is that I never will. It is not how it works. Probably the best way of learning drawing and painting: is to fail and make conclusions. On the other side, personal work takes a lot of time and an unsatisfactory result can lead to burnout.  At least that's what I think about it. I would like to know someone else's opinion)
I have read Chainsaw man manga a couple of days ago, and i really liked it. So I was inspired and wanted to draw something related.

Here what I've got. Don't wanna finish it or anything... It is waaaay to much things thats wrong with this "cover") Starting from the lack of any idea and ending with the boring poses of the characters. Looks like I've set myself too much of a challenge at this stage.)

Some WIPs for archive
<spoiler>

</spoiler>
Studies of clothing folds. Difficult topic for me...

Haven't done digital painting for a loooong time. It felt pretty uncomfortable... The main goal was to eyeballed the values correctly. 

great job on these studies you nailed the values I would say ^^
Not much to say .Your issue where mostLY toward hitting your darkest dark so it a common issue.

D=DARKER
L=Lighter

I recommend you draw more drapery because of how contrasted it is between the crease and the fold.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Crowbit, darktiste thank you for the feedback! Guess I was too careful with my darkest darks.

Did one more value studie, a little more complex and put more time in to it. It didn't turn out quite the way I imagined in my head. Initially, I wanted to change the proportions more and make it look more painterly, with lost edges and solid brushwork... But in the process, to make the image look realistic, I had to do a lot of blending and often compare with reference.

Incredible work here, loving the geometric studies. You latest study/painting looks great, excellent use of values there with some great, confident brushwork. Keep it going!

cgmythology, thank you for the kind words! In my memory, this is the most flattering feedback of my drawings  Blushing

I  did this concept of military girl with sniper-rifle, which turned out, not quite like i expected. At first it took me waaay more time to bring it to this stage. I did about 4 iterations of lineart, after fill with flat colors (all on different layers). Now I don't feel like I want to finish this concept. 
I saved the image with references that i used; and I want to add links of some char. concepts which I like and what result I wanted to achive.
Min Yum concepts
aruan sick

if you have any advice on to how I can change my pipe-line from: rough sketch > rough linework > cleaner linework> final clean lines> flat color silhouette> flat color character parts... to something more similar like aruan sick do,  i'd love to hear it
We can't help you achieving a style that isn't specific to one artist because we don't know what pourcentage of each style you want to go for and what aspect of each style you like to tone down or town up and what you want to make into your own.All we can give you is were personal opinion which is not very useful because it rob you of your direction. The more specific you can be about what you like the better it will be for you to understand what aspect you are trying to emulate in this or those style...if you can't answers this than you need to practice observation and internal dialogue. The question are your to answers truely were solution are were own.The best thing someone will be able to do for you is to tell you if you did a good enough copy of something very specific.We can't help you interpret.We don't speak the same artistic symbolism.

All we can work out with you is a few selected reference you have. From what i see in the ref (the artstation are useless in my opinion because it to large of a sample) your biggest difference so far is the lineart which you mention having problem with.Right now one thing that is missing the most is a lighting that match the reference meaning you didn't put much gradient.

The best thing you can do really if you find that you didn't quit capture the style is stepback and come back with a fresh eye.Remind yourself which are the fundamental and than start to observe their work and ask yourself what are the consistent choose the artist made that differentiate their work from your.

I also encourage you to read my post on practical dialogue.This will give you more autonomy when it come to being able to self analyse.
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4107.html

My Sketchbook
(05-29-2022, 03:33 AM)darktiste Wrote: We can't help you achieving a style that isn't specific to one artist because we don't know what pourcentage of each style you want to go for and what aspect of each style you like to tone down or town up and what you want to make into your own.All we can give you is were personal opinion which is not very useful because it rob you of your direction. The more specific you can be about what you like the better it will be for you to understand what aspect you are trying to emulate in this or those style...if you can't answers this than you need to practice observation and internal dialogue. The question are your to answers truely were solution are were own.The best thing someone will be able to do for you is to tell you if you did a good enough copy of something very specific.We can't help you interpret.We don't speak the same artistic symbolism.

All we can work out with you is a few selected reference you have. From what i see in the ref (the artstation are useless in my opinion because it to large of a sample) your biggest difference so far is the lineart which you mention having problem with.Right now one thing that is missing the most is a lighting that match the reference meaning you didn't put much gradient.

The best thing you can do really if you find that you didn't quit capture the style is stepback and come back with a fresh eye.Remind yourself which are the fundamental and than start to observe their work and ask yourself what are the consistent choose the artist made that differentiate their work from your.

I also encourage you to read my post on practical dialogue.This will give you more autonomy when it come to being able to self analyse.
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4107.html

Everything that you said make sense for me, thank you. But I probably didn't express myself clearly in my previous  post. I understand that the question: How to mimic smbodys art-style - is not right. Rather I meant what to studie to change my process. Actually, it sounds a bit awkward too... Probably I just stuck a little, and I don't really need an answer to this question) 

Found this artists youtube - Daniel Clarke . Think I should do similar studies and try to understand his process.
I think you need to learn to ask better question that the problem as an artist we start with a limited vocabulary and understanding of were own weakness.

If you want to mix color first you need to learn your primary color the answers isn't to go buy every color at the store... this is an example to illustrate that when you don't know you don't know.
It ok to feel stuck and i understand that you will try anything and that you must try new thing not to get stuck.

But i think you aren't asking yourself the right question right now.You say you want to try and understand is process but you didn't even said what you were trying to learn in specific... maybe to you it clear what your after in someone else process but if you keep everything for yourself don't get surpris if what your left with it leave you stuck. You certainly don't have to tell anyone but keeping this to yourself won't help you find the information necessarily. It totally possible that your stuck because you don't know better than to turn every single rock until something you didn't know you needed manifest itself by chance trust me you don't want to operate like that.You want to build a network of support where you can imput a problem that may have already been answers before by someone else.

So basically if you want to improve something in your process let us know but try to be specific i think you are at a level where you need to open up because your question are becoming more and more specific and finding laser focus information will not necessary be found as easly as more begginer material would be.

Have a nice day.

My Sketchbook
Some more anatomy studies: