Hello there ໒(⊙ᴗ⊙)७✎▤
Wow, I had no idea an art forum like this still exists. I missed creating a digital sketchbook like on concept art or Sycra's forums. I am happy to have found this place. 

I go by Og-san. I'm 30 years old and been drawing since I was young. I took it seriously around 2010. 13 years later and a lot has changed. Looking back on it now, I had no idea what I personally wanted to do. I just looked at a lot of my favorite internet artists and thought what they did was what I should be doing. I am not going to say that was a total waste of time because there was a lot of mileage gained out of just drawing. I have jumped back and forth between wanting to be a character designer, game developer, Animator, Storyboard artist, and comic artist. All aspiring to work a studio and have some professional career. Making connections with people in work and learning about what it takes to get into that world and what it is like really made me re-evaluate what I really wanted out of life and art. 

There a lot more in-between that but I finally landed on being an indie comic artist. I have landed a decently paid job in the financial world with a proper work/life balance that allows me to pursue Art in my own way and pace. Overall I just want to be a great storyteller. 

I have all my artwork from 2010 up until now but I did not start digitally archiving it until 2015. A lot of that is lost to the sycra forums closing down but I do have a Local drive on my PC that start in 2017. I am going to create a digital sketchbook on here that starts from 2017 and progressively upload from there. 

Thanks for reading and thanks for still being active Crimson Daggers!

Hi OG, it does seem like Crimson Daggers is that 'Last man standing' in terms of art forums. Of course, it's not as popping as OG ConceptArt back in the day, (which looking back feels like a 'lighting in a bottle') or it's many off-shoot like Syrca's forum or Algenpfleger's 'Permanoobs'. It's small and at times quiet, but it still has regular posters! Like you I'm glad this places still exists. People immigrated to Twitter and Discord, but you get lost in the sea of people on Twitter and on Discord posting your work can feel like spam. A forum is the best to show 'real time' process on your own demarcated area.

Ahem, as someone whose number 3 is no longer in the units column and is travelling rocket speed towards the tens column. I feel you. I definitely want to pursue art, but my art journey so far has been very tough and anxiety-inducing, so I don't know whether I want it as a career. If I got an adjacent job in the arts that allowed me time to create that would be great. I looked into finance/IB related jobs and they work ridic hours and I know it would kill me. Curious, what finance sector you would recommend. I'm still searching for a career that will leave me satisfied.

'Overall I just want to be a great storyteller.' AYO.
(01-17-2023, 09:48 AM)Dominicque Wrote: Hi OG, it does seem like Crimson Daggers is that 'Last man standing' in terms of art forums. Of course, it's not as popping as OG ConceptArt back in the day, (which looking back feels like a 'lighting in a bottle') or it's many off-shoot like Syrca's forum or Algenpfleger's 'Permanoobs'. It's small and at times quiet, but it still has regular posters! Like you I'm glad this places still exists. People immigrated to Twitter and Discord, but you get lost in the sea of people on Twitter and on Discord posting your work can feel like spam. A forum is the best to show 'real time' process on your own demarcated area.

Ahem, as someone whose number 3 is no longer in the units column and is travelling rocket speed towards the tens column. I feel you. I definitely want to pursue art, but my art journey so far has been very tough and anxiety-inducing, so I don't know whether I want it as a career. If I got an adjacent job in the arts that allowed me time to create that would be great. I looked into finance/IB related jobs and they work ridic hours and I know it would kill me. Curious, what finance sector you would recommend. I'm still searching for a career that will leave me satisfied.

Hello Dominicque :)

I totally get what you mean about social media as a whole. I use discord a lot but I am lucky enough to be in small art server with people I consider family. I don't really have to deal with the sea of twitter links and constant promotions. Similar to what you said, I love art forum like this because you get to see people grow over time but also their thought process along the way. It way more genuine. 

As far as financial career advice, I honestly couldn't give you solid answer. Even for people that pipelined into the company I work for, it just a matter of circumstance. 

I work back office banking (for a credit union). Specifically in operations, I act as a file processor and fraud investigator for debit cards. I only really have this position because I transferred from the contact center of the company and just worked my way up over 5 years. The demand for WFH and higher pay from all over definitely helped. Instead of resigning, I just stuck it through and came out the other side with a great wfh hybrid schedule and  higher pay. Really just a matter of circumstance. I'm also like what I do and am damn good at it so there is that too. 

I would suggest you follow your path of finding work you enjoy. If that just happens to be something in the creative field, then go for it!

(01-18-2023, 03:39 AM)OG-SAN Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 09:48 AM)Dominicque Wrote: Hi OG, it does seem like Crimson Daggers is that 'Last man standing' in terms of art forums. Of course, it's not as popping as OG ConceptArt back in the day, (which looking back feels like a 'lighting in a bottle') or it's many off-shoot like Syrca's forum or Algenpfleger's 'Permanoobs'. It's small and at times quiet, but it still has regular posters! Like you I'm glad this places still exists. People immigrated to Twitter and Discord, but you get lost in the sea of people on Twitter and on Discord posting your work can feel like spam. A forum is the best to show 'real time' process on your own demarcated area.

Hello Dominicque :)

I totally get what you mean about social media as a whole. I use discord a lot but I am lucky enough to be in small art server with people I consider family. I don't really have to deal with the sea of twitter links and constant promotions. Similar to what you said, I love art forum like this because you get to see people grow over time but also their thought process along the way. It way more genuine. 

As far as financial career advice, I honestly couldn't give you solid answer. Even for people that pipelined into the company I work for, it just a matter of circumstance. 

I work back office banking (for a credit union). Specifically in operations, I act as a file processor and fraud investigator for debit cards. I only really have this position because I transferred from the contact center of the company and just worked my way up over 5 years. The demand for WFH and higher pay from all over definitely helped. Instead of resigning, I just stuck it through and came out the other side with a great wfh hybrid schedule and  higher pay. Really just a matter of circumstance. I'm also like what I do and am damn good at it so there is that too. 

I would suggest you follow your path of finding work you enjoy. If that just happens to be something in the creative field, then go for it!
Yeah, a forum allows to have your own dedicated section that let you see you progress over time and future artists that may be inspired to start their very own journey get to see what you did to tackle certain artistic problems. The layout is easy to see, I just wish the majority of artists didn't flock from art forums. CD is still around, but much, much quieter from its peek. 

Ah, your lucky, because I heard finance is hard to get into and the hours are killer. Nice to know getting a well-paying salaried job is possible, while pursuing your creative interests. If I even got good enough to make a (more than) decent wage from my creative work, I wouldn't want to be afraid to leave. Even getting a retail job is hard. I'm spending all my non-work time studying and getting frustrated over my progress and thinking, 'If it's like this with a low responsibility job, how would I do with something more full time?' Ah.