Crimson CHOW #46 - FANTASTICAL DESERT LANDS
(07-26-2023, 03:20 PM)darktiste Wrote:
(07-26-2023, 02:36 PM)JosephCow Wrote: desert oracle rough comp

I really like the heavy texture you achieve right off the bat.I think it a bit empty otherwise but you got time for that.What kind of oracle is that a soup reader?

For inspiration as to what kind of divination practice she might be into you can look at this wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_divination

lol no it's supposed to be a bowl of smoke and she reads the shapes it makes, or capnomancy. Ik it's not drawn very well lol.

Star 
@Darktiste Thanks so much on your input and yes, Aladdin has been inspirational on all my Sand Bender concepts indeed. I really don't want to detail the carpet too much because it will bring a focal point to a place in the image I don't want. I want the main focus on all the images to be about the characters as much as possible. I'm sorry you are not liking the color much on the second Sand Bender piece but it is subject to change some as I evolve the image more. I'm glad you are liking the light values for sure as that seems to be key in controlling form and mood in the image. I like the Mummy poster idea more so for the Sand Spirit topic but not the Sand Bender. If I get to the sand spirit concept I will definitely be exploring this idea you have of the gigantic character much more like seen in the Mummy poster you posted. As always, thank you very much for your input, I always appreciate that.

@Joseph Cow Great start so far and I really like the colors and lighting in this piece. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how you evolve this image; there is definitely a lot of potential there. If I could make one suggestiong it would be to maybe take into consideration zooming your camera view of the image more on the character since this is and should be the primary focus of your image, not the surrounding household.

CBinnsIllustration Thank you so much bro and I'm glad you are liking the background lighting and texture. Yes, the graffiti element will forever show through in my work I think, but I'm glad it's working for the better and not the worse, and you are right about it creating a signature / style to my work. LMAO, your latest topic of the Djinn fart!!! This is way out of the box, but great humor and really cool looking so far. I like the ghostly pale color use on this one and overall glowing effect of the Djinn. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This is going to sum up my first Sand Bender concept and no music today, just working in silence which is good sometimes.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun
Star 
Here's my second Sand Bender concept. Definitely did a lot of imaginative exploration on this one and tried different color and value arrangements. The composition is most ridiculous on purpose. I think I may attempt a Djinn and go crazy with the composition that one, or at least try. 

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Star 
This was my first Djinn idea I sketched up a few days back. I got the idea while looking at a pile of rocks while on a walk and imagining the rocks as larger cliffs and how this Djinn might be an enormous being. There is still lots of room for custom design etc, but I wanted to share this to show how its important to just get your ideas out. It's not about making a pretty picture here, just get messy and put the idea down by any means necessary. The shading in the picture is from just taking a large brush and blocking in shapes, then i go back over that with line to define my vision better. I find this method works really well for me, and it might work for you well too. 

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Star 
This is my first Desert Djinn concept, a little generic but a good exercise. It got pretty quiet in here; I hope everyone is doing well. I'm definitely looking forward to taking another stab at this one with the second concept sketch I provided in the previous post.

I went ahead and worked on this piece more, so the current image is the updated image. 

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Nice work Lege; that's the most shredded genie I've ever seen. What I like about it (and your other djinn sketch) is that it's a bit more demonic than the usual Western depiction of a genie. Love the nighttime scenery too.

Joseph, nice withered old lady. I like that you've gone with what looks like a mud brick house for the dwelling; and the suggestion of interior light looks really nice already.

CBinns, that last image and story was so far out of left field that it left me speechless. In other words, great job.

I suddenly got a bit busy so I've just been spending an hour on mine here and there. Slowed myself down a bit by adding a second light area behind the character, but thought the picture was looking a little dead otherwise. I'll get it done in time though. Next step is to add some decorations and fix things here and there.

Pubic Enemy: Thanks man, and yeah, that genie might be over shredded. Yes, I wanted to have more of sinister look to them, they are not the happiest being pent up in a little lamp,lol. The nighttime scenery was a try at a different lighting and color scnenario but I'm not sure it works best with a classic blue genie. I feel the image could be much better but it was a good practice piece at the least.

Your piece is coming out great, I love the more realistic render style you got going there. Very cool lighting and color selection and is that snake coming or going, lol? Very cool image indeed, it's coming along really awesome.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Yeah, a nighttime scene maybe doesn't give a blue genie a chance to "pop", but it always makes for a nice evocative feel. You never really know these things until you try.

Thanks; I'm glad you like the render style. As for the snake, I was thinking of adding a tail or head in the background to make that clear, but I kinda like the ambiguity, LOL.
(08-01-2023, 09:28 PM)Lege1 Wrote: This is my first Desert Djinn concept, a little generic but a good exercise. It got pretty queit in here, I hope everyone is doing well. I'm definitely looking forward to taking another stab at this one with the second concept sketch I provided in the previous post.

ah men the other concept had such a nice dynamism to it.

Those pyramid couldn't be more out of perspective.I get it composition isn't that easy once it set in and perspective is such a obstacle when you try to test thing out quickly...that why i love 3d atleast you can set up a few cube and test a rought composition of the element in the scene set a camera and voila you can take screen shot and use it as a starting point.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
update on my work in progress. I think if I can spend some more time on the smoke it could potentially looks really cool. I did decide to take lege's suggestion of zooming in more as well

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-07-2023, 07:46 AM)JosephCow Wrote: update on my work in progress. I think if I can spend some more time on the smoke it could potentially looks really cool. I did decide to take lege's suggestion of zooming in more as well

Where is the leg of the table on her side they look to close in value to the robe.Also the leg of the table are very thick As on the side of the table maybe you could add some decorative element to the table some other object on top of the table for extra interest

My Sketchbook
It's under her shawl but yeah I could probably make that more evident. I think I will add more to the table!

JosephCow: Really nice work on your update here and I really like the dual lighting situation. Really great exploration with light in your piece and the old woman looks very mysterious and creepy. It would have been really cool to see some things in the mystic spell or smoke, like animals or faces, or creatures etc, but it looks cool as is. Sorry I couldn't give any input sooner, I have been working on emptying a huge storage unit of me and my sisters to finalize our settling with our big move this year. Great work though again!

Been noodling away on another Djinn concept, just exploring and enjoying the process of creation with this one.

Attached Files Image(s)

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
-Lege1
I really like this one a very nice rhythm to it and a difficult pose you surprisingly pull this one of with a good level of gesture to it.The color are pleasing and i really like the stylized star in the background.All i would say is you could have spend more time developping those forehead wrinkle to more than just line with no depth they kinda slightly break the style.

My Sketchbook
@Darktiste Thank you so much man and I appreciate those good words for sure. I'm glad you are liking all that mentioned about this piece. I'm far from done, so that forehead is going to get work trust, lol. Thanks again 100

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
-Zebra

Nice to see a new name around here let get down to business.

Where is the connecting frame for the structure to support itself and not fall to the ground?(Just making sure this is structurally making sense design follow function.Also it seem your element beam the furthest near the wall is not properly allign in perspective with the other beam is should be... it as to do with you realizing you made those plank to long i hope you fix that.Anyways it very WIP so that just my 2 cent probably unecessary but i always say 2 pair of eye is better then one at that stage...

''One thing for cloth is to remember that you have to have a point of resistance for thing to sag this is why i say where the frame?''

One observation note for fabric that are use to block the sun they are generally not perpendicular to the ground(not horizontal) they are slightly slanted.
Generately with a supporting beam at the center for the most basic tent the middle beam is slightly higher then the height of the supporting beam. If the ''roof'' is acting as an extension of a building there a beam attach to the structure or it put against the structure in that case you get vertical beam higher near the structure and lower toward the outside of the structure in most case but the orientation is often base on the direction of the sun to offer protection during the hottest hour of the day.

Also if you want an advise place your big object fist and then the smaller one this will avoid you alot of problem when it time to adding to the scene and it make it easier to move the smaller object if you feel they would fit better somewhere else compositionally speaking...also if you can separate thing in layers by object at that stage it great because erasing is going to be a pain otherwise but if you don't about clean line right away you can always make a second pass for the line work i just find that doing so sometime take away from the original energy of the sketch so i would rather correct the line art then redraw it.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Star 
@Zebra: Welcome and very cool stylized work. I really like the piece with the two chicks. You'll have fun and learn a lot on here. Keep up the great work!

Here is my conclusion on my last Djinn concept. Had fun with this for sure because that is one of the primary reasons for doing it aside from learning more and trying to grow greater as a visual artist. Thanks all, this was a great round and I look forward to giving some more input once the finals are finalized.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
@Zebra Absolutely perfect paint overs in my strong opinion and thank you so much. I admire your ability to break down the figure so well in basic forms, you really are great at that! Where did you learn to break down the forms like that? I know Drawing the Marvel way covers this and a few others, but curious if there was a direct source. Thanks so much again man, you really made me happy with that!

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
@Zebra Thanks so much on those book recommendations! I need to check out Vilppu and Mattesi, the two middle ones I have and am familiar with. You are right about Kim Jung Gi lectures, those simplified figures are the best. I totally get what you are saying about drawing through, and trying to get the shapes right, John Buscema talks about that on the How to Draw the Marvel Way dvd. Great stuff and thank you again!

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Very awesome feedback and PO’s @Zebra I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. I am guilty of giving these character illustrations a bit too much breathing room, and that forces me to keep the perspective a bit vanilla at times. The more overlapping comp is a great point, I sometimes get stuck in my own head and  that I feel the need to draw everything and that if I overlap something it feels like I’m taking a shortcut, but it really does sell the action and dynamic scene and I know I need to work on that for sure.I like what you did and will keep that in mind for further pieces for sure! Cheers again dude!