Poll: Who drew the greatest fantastical desert dweller?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pubic Enemy
14.29%
1 14.29%
Lege1
0%
0 0%
JosephCow
57.14%
4 57.14%
CBinnsIllustration
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Crimson CHOW #46 - FANTASTICAL DESERT LANDS - FINALS
Crimson Character of the Week #46
»FANTASTICAL DESERT LANDS«

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is Thursday, August 17th @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| FINALS THREAD ||+-
Man I got really busy in the middle of working on this, and then when I got back to working on it, I had no idea where I was going with it anymore. So I made about 5 more brush strokes and called it quits. Oh well, it happens.

Here's my Desert Oracle, whose preferred method of divination involves getting high with a hubble bubble to commune with the spirits.

Star 
"The Sandbender" is a captivating concept of a fictional character or group of characters that embodies the essence of survival and resourcefulness in a harsh desert environment. This concept blends elements of nomadic traditions, skilled survivalism, and a touch of fantasy to create a vivid and intriguing character.

Nomadic Lifestyle: The term "nomadic" refers to a way of life where individuals or groups continuously move from one place to another in search of resources. In the context of "The Sandbender," this character is portrayed as someone who roams the desert, never settling in one location for too long. This lifestyle is reminiscent of real-world desert nomads who have historically moved across arid landscapes in search of water, food, and suitable grazing lands for their livestock.

Desert Dweller: The desert serves as a challenging backdrop for this character. Deserts are often portrayed as vast, unforgiving landscapes with scorching daytime heat and freezing nighttime temperatures. These extreme conditions demand exceptional survival skills, resourcefulness, and a deep understanding of the desert's unique ecosystems.

Sand-Covered Carpet: The image of a sand-covered carpet immediately captures the imagination. This carpet serves both as a mode of transportation and as a symbol of the character's connection to the desert. The concept of riding a sand-covered carpet evokes a blend of magic and practicality, suggesting that this character possesses both mystical abilities and a keen sense of practical adaptation to their environment.

Tracking and Survival Skills: The Sandbender is depicted as possessing exceptional skills in tracking and survival. These skills are essential for locating sources of water, identifying edible plants or animals, and avoiding potential dangers such as sandstorms, predators, and treacherous terrain. The character's expertise in navigation, resource identification, and shelter construction contribute to their ability to thrive in the desert's harshest conditions.

Finding Water and Food: One of the most captivating aspects of "The Sandbender" concept is their ability to find water and sustenance in the most unforgiving environments. The character's knowledge of underground water sources, hidden oases, and desert flora and fauna provides a sense of mystery and wonder. This skill set adds an element of magic to the character, as they seem to possess an innate connection with the land.

Symbolism and Exploration: Beyond the surface level, "The Sandbender" concept can also be explored from a symbolic standpoint. The character's ability to bend the sands and adapt to the desert's challenges can serve as a metaphor for resilience, adaptability, and the human capacity to thrive even in the face of adversity. This concept allows for the exploration of themes such as the relationship between humans and nature, the importance of knowledge and wisdom, and the interconnectedness of all living things.

In summary, "The Sandbender" concept is a rich and layered portrayal of a desert-dwelling nomad with exceptional survival skills, the ability to manipulate their environment, and a deep connection to the harsh but mesmerizing world of the desert. This character concept offers a wealth of opportunities for storytelling, exploration of themes, and the creation of a unique and unforgettable fictional persona.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun
(08-17-2023, 11:54 AM)Lege1 Wrote: "The Sandbender" is a captivating concept of a fictional character or group of characters that embodies the essence of survival and resourcefulness in a harsh desert environment. This concept blends elements of nomadic traditions, skilled survivalism, and a touch of fantasy to create a vivid and intriguing character.

Nomadic Lifestyle: The term "nomadic" refers to a way of life where individuals or groups continuously move from one place to another in search of resources. In the context of "The Sandbender," this character is portrayed as someone who roams the desert, never settling in one location for too long. This lifestyle is reminiscent of real-world desert nomads who have historically moved across arid landscapes in search of water, food, and suitable grazing lands for their livestock.

Desert Dweller: The desert serves as a challenging backdrop for this character. Deserts are often portrayed as vast, unforgiving landscapes with scorching daytime heat and freezing nighttime temperatures. These extreme conditions demand exceptional survival skills, resourcefulness, and a deep understanding of the desert's unique ecosystems.

Sand-Covered Carpet: The image of a sand-covered carpet immediately captures the imagination. This carpet serves both as a mode of transportation and as a symbol of the character's connection to the desert. The concept of riding a sand-covered carpet evokes a blend of magic and practicality, suggesting that this character possesses both mystical abilities and a keen sense of practical adaptation to their environment.

Tracking and Survival Skills: The Sandbender is depicted as possessing exceptional skills in tracking and survival. These skills are essential for locating sources of water, identifying edible plants or animals, and avoiding potential dangers such as sandstorms, predators, and treacherous terrain. The character's expertise in navigation, resource identification, and shelter construction contribute to their ability to thrive in the desert's harshest conditions.

Finding Water and Food: One of the most captivating aspects of "The Sandbender" concept is their ability to find water and sustenance in the most unforgiving environments. The character's knowledge of underground water sources, hidden oases, and desert flora and fauna provides a sense of mystery and wonder. This skill set adds an element of magic to the character, as they seem to possess an innate connection with the land.

Symbolism and Exploration: Beyond the surface level, "The Sandbender" concept can also be explored from a symbolic standpoint. The character's ability to bend the sands and adapt to the desert's challenges can serve as a metaphor for resilience, adaptability, and the human capacity to thrive even in the face of adversity. This concept allows for the exploration of themes such as the relationship between humans and nature, the importance of knowledge and wisdom, and the interconnectedness of all living things.

In summary, "The Sandbender" concept is a rich and layered portrayal of a desert-dwelling nomad with exceptional survival skills, the ability to manipulate their environment, and a deep connection to the harsh but mesmerizing world of the desert. This character concept offers a wealth of opportunities for storytelling, exploration of themes, and the creation of a unique and unforgettable fictional persona.
I like the effort in description but i feel as artist we need to let the art speak for itself a little more. That just my way of looking at what i am judging in those challenge.

I thinking the ability to infuse an artwork with a part of mystery is why something is masterful it does not try to justify what it is .It already speaking volume.It not an artwork that is lineart but it catch you with how it move you around and make you feel something it transport you to the point of you loose track of time for a moment and it almost make you feel like it reaching for a part of your being.

I feel i can't judge a piece by it description so for that i look purely for what look rendered and well put together and as those other quality i find hard to put into word. But i absolutely think you kill it in term of the depth of showing you done your homework to get inspired and for that i can only praise you for it but i cannot give you any weight in the balance for that because it the interpretation of the word that count not the depth of the research.

I think people in general are looking for description that are short anyways so knowing where to cutshort is also an art you want the experience to be enjoyable and not like you take us on a never ending ride where we forget where we start and where it going.

I think in a description sometime less is more.The level of description should fit the context.Ask yourself are you talking to a game developer and need the extra lore or are you speaking to an audience on the internet those are two different public and level of ''need to know''.

Sorry if most of this isn't even about the piece it my rambling and i hope i did not disrespect you in any shape or form. The point being is i feel that it almost disrespectful to have such a long entry when you should know it the artwork that need to be central

I feel it just right to voice how i feel and see what you have to say on that.Maybe it just my fringe unwated opinion i just need to know if it make sense in the end...because i want to be fair to the participant but i understand we all have were own judging criteria at the end of the day.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Pubic, same lol. I did all of this last week, and then I went on vacation and came back and painted on it for like 5 more minutes. I am simply out of time! I may come back to it and finish it if I want to put it in my portfolio or something though!

Nice work on both of you guys' entries!

Attached Files Image(s)

Love all the submissions this time round guys, they are all individually fantastic, great job!

I stuck with my original piece since after leaving it for a couple weeks I still liked it… which is rare lol.

My Aztec priestess.

She prays to the gods hour after hour, to summon the worm with a sinister power,
But after spending all day in the heat and the sand, what her heart wants most is a ice cold shower.

That's really cool! All your sketches on the WIP post were really nice, I hope you hop in on the next one!

(08-20-2023, 01:16 AM)Zebra Wrote: I’m a bit late, ah well.

sadly i have to be the one to tell you that you miss the deadline but maybe they still include you ... or maybe this will be a leasson in deadline...

My Sketchbook
Zebra, I was thinking of putting you in the poll anyway, but some votes were already cast by the time I saw your thing.

You have an unusual decorative sort of style; I like it. Hope you'll have time for the next one.
Pubic Enemy Great work again and I really like your semi realistic rendering style on this. The colors you chose and how they are displayed worked really well, and my favorite part of this illustration is how you painted out the Oracle's face and how the drapery was coming along.

Darktiste thanks for the concept commentary critique, I'll definitely keep it shorter next time. I got carried away per usual. I get over excited about this stuff.

Joseph Cow congrats on what seems to be a definite win according to the poll results. I really love the rendering, lighting, and over all concept of your piece; the cool and warm color scheme works perfect also. Great job on this! My favorite part of this illustration is how there are things in the spell smoke but there is only enough information to let our minds run wild; it gives off a great feeling of mysterious, mystic, and creepy.

CBinnsIllustration Great job on this piece again, I think it is a really awesome illustration, and I love how your illustrations are so clean in style and technique. The colors on this piece coordinate really well, not to mention the details of everything and the anatomy of the Aztec Priestess came out really great! My favorite part of this piece strangely enough is how you did the sand whirlwind effect, I still think that was a great add and gives the piece a great feel and energy. Great work on this man!

Zebra Really cool entry and illustrative graphic style. The simplicity the overall aesthetics and the interesting color scheme really make this work a very signature style and unique. Great job on this and good luck with hopefully getting your entry in to make future competitions.

Really great work again everyone and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next topic will be!

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Thanks, Lege! And yeah looks kinda that way unless we get more votes. Not a huge sample size for this poll lol but really good participation, actually! Let's keep this going!

By the way, would anyone be interested in doing like a prop/weapon design challenge? Either as the CHOW for the week or a separate community challenge? We have definitely been going more toward illustration in these challenges, which I think totally makes sense because most of us are doing illustration more than concept art/design these days, it seems. So I wouldn't want to do it if there's not much interest in it. But it might be fun to switch it up a little.

Or for that matter we could de environments, too!

Yeah we used to do a 'Creature of the week' (COW) as well as the character, but at some point we dropped it and focused on the CHOW because it had more engagement and numbers were kinda low on the cow. We should discuss it more and see what people want.

@JosephCow I support all your ideas, regarding props/ weapon, environments, and creatures. Character of the week seems most practical and beneficial of all the other foundational topics, rightfully so due to the importance of human anatomy in anything art. To be well rounded in illustration means channeling all the foundational topics as with concept art, we should explore other areas where we can as it will only make us that much better. Please keep me in the loop with further developments on the cause. If it involves the process of drawing and painting, then I will participate where time allows no doubt my dude! I think multiple choice topics could play a good role in all this. For example, pick an umbrella topic such as a character and create individual multiple topics based on that.
Ex:
Character: Dragon Hunter
Creature: Creature that the Dragon Hunter would ride or use to hunt the dragons.
Environment: An environment that a dragon hunt would take place.
Industrial Design: Weapons, mechanical items, or vehicles, that the Dragon Hunter would use to hunt dragons.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Personally i see no need for new challenge except this CHOW for now. This chow as everything to attract the most entry which is what make sense if we are to create a stronger community from which we might be able to spawn more specific challenge if crimson dagger is to ever boom again.

Here why it already nearly perfect it doesn't restrict you from exploring other topic it only restrictive in the fact that it require character and illustrative skill.

If i take myself for exemple i don't participate because to me it exploring idea that is challenging and the exiting part of my art journey.I am not a big character guy so the requirement just stop me there it just not something i enjoy also the illustrative part is not something that really get me going. I am the perfect case of someone who chow doesn't appeal to and that fine atleast for me.

This challenge speak to anyone who like illustrative work even concept artist such as me might like it because illustration still as concept art in it.

Character are the main branch of pretty much any artist journey so it make perfect sense that it should stay this way for a while.Maybe if one day we attract more then 8 final entry there would be enough interest to diversify but i don't see this time being any time soon.

If you want those challenge to become more umbrella it gonna be a little bit more complex to judge because now you compare sometime that more inanimate vs something that as composition and alot more fundamental.

You can still attempt chow with your own challenge in mind if you want to challenge a specific topic you have in mind but this one i argue is about really celebrating well rounded artistic expression since it force you to touch a bit of everything or it limit you to character and illustration to the least.It basically a challenge in world building but visually.

My Sketchbook
Cheers @Lege1 yet again your constant encouragement is infectious and great for the community! 

@Zebra your piece was super nice, I love the style you’re going with, your sand bender in the WIP thread had some real promise too, I would finish that one up too and see where it takes you. Welcome to the CHOW community, hope to see more from you dude.

@JosephCow, congrats again my dude, your piece was killer, I loved it. As far as additional challenges, I would be up for anything. I don’t see any harm in throwing out some more weekly/monthly challenges. Even if participation is low, who cares. There may be some environment/ or weapon focused artist lurking out there that don’t feel comfortable with the current illustrative/finished approach we have taken in the this CHOW and can join in. I personally would love to challenge myself at some environment or weapon design…I’m not promising I won’t make it illustrative tho lol. I say Let’s mix it up a bit

(08-24-2023, 04:24 PM)darktiste Wrote: If you want those challenge to become more umbrella it gonna be a little bit more complex to judge because now you compare sometime that more inanimate vs something that as composition and alot more fundamental.
Would you be more inclined to participate if it were a prop or weapon design challenge? There might be other people that would also go for that.

I really like Lege's idea of an umbrella topic, but you make a really good point that you can't really compare different types of art so it would be a fun prompt but there wouldn't be much competition involved if we did that. 

@CBinns Thanks! :) I've been debating working on it more to make it more polished because there was more I wanted to do but it keeps seeming like a lot of work lol. Also yeah I think it would be a good challenge. Maybe I'll make a post at some point and see what happens lol.

(08-25-2023, 05:40 AM)JosephCow Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 04:24 PM)darktiste Wrote: If you want those challenge to become more umbrella it gonna be a little bit more complex to judge because now you compare sometime that more inanimate vs something that as composition and alot more fundamental.
Would you be more inclined to participate if it were a prop or weapon design challenge? There might be other people that would also go for that.

I really like Lege's idea of an umbrella topic, but you make a really good point that you can't really compare different types of art so it would be a fun prompt but there wouldn't be much competition involved if we did that. 

@CBinns Thanks! :) I've been debating working on it more to make it more polished because there was more I wanted to do but it keeps seeming like a lot of work lol. Also yeah I think it would be a good challenge. Maybe I'll make a post at some point and see what happens lol.
I don't think that there is no competitive aspect to concepting but the rule should probably not be the same as far as getting feedback from other. It should be about exploring and perfection decision making and good artistic taste and presentation under a deadline.

The problem with coming up with a design challenge is deciding how far it should go.Like how many iteration minimum what level of render and level of presentation.By iteration it refer to the number of preparatory different design we expect at minimum before a final design is choose.(Also should they be just simply scribble or silhouette or if we allow photo bashing preparatory iteration. For level of render do we expect a presentation in the style of a concept sheet with a turn around of the props and maybe some functional extra sketch that explain some aspect of the design in a similar fashion as an industrial design or are we presenting the final as a illustrative work.

Also how do we define turn around can varies some just do front and back some do front side and back some do front 3/4 back

Those are just the thought i would think about if i was those who had to come up with the requirement and limitation.

But i think what make sense is to look at successful art challenge outside and try to replicate it but to adapt it to what make sense over here.

My Sketchbook
One example of design challenge from outside going on right now, is Istebrak is doing a character/weapon design thing. It's requiring all of that specific prep work submitted and final rendered illustration. While it might simulate doing client work, my issue with that is it's kinda getting too picky for a casual thing to do in your free time. I don't always have time to do all that work, I might just have time to come up with one or two ideas and make an unfinished drawing of one of them. Ideally I think you'd have at least front and back views of object painted in perspective, if applicable, and functional extra sketch for extra explanation. But at the end of the day it's better to just post your idea in whatever state you're at than not at all because it doesn't check every requirement box.

I think it all depends on if we are being more focused on concept art or illustration. If everyone is in favor of illustration, then an umbrella topic would work just fine because the art would be judged very strictly on the foundational elements of image making:

1. IDEA: a great idea (this is where the concept aspect is)
2. COMPOSITION / LAYOUT: great composition / perspective
3. DRAWING: correct drawing / perspective
4. VALUES: correct use of values
5. COLORS: harmonious use of colors
6. EDGES: use of edges in painting
7. RENDER: overall rendering style, polish, post-editing.

Additionally, a specific style of exploration could be suggested in the prompt, such as being painterly with little to no line work, or more graphical using line work which could be a good thing to push artists out of their comfort zones and explore other illustration styles.

There is no need to over complicate things, just keep to drawing and painting; no cheats in the work like AI, photo bashing etc, keep it strictly based on creating an image from scratch where all other things previously mentioned could be used for referencing. 3D infusion could be made optional in regard to an industry tool and standard, but I think the idea of just honing the skills of drawing and painting / coloring is what most would like to work on. The concept aspect of things can simply work as extra credit.

If this forum would change over more into illustration format, I think that a poll should be conducted to make sure majority of the participating community are in favor of the change. If not, then keep things the same with the classic C.H.O.W. and from a concept art stand point.

Again, an Umbrella Topic Prompt could work like this and cover all concept art areas via illustration:
Ex:
Character: DRAGON HUNTER
Creature: Creature that the Dragon Hunter would ride or use to hunt the dragons.
Environment: An environment that a dragon hunt would take place.
Industrial Design: Weapons, mechanical items, or vehicles, that the Dragon Hunter would use to hunt dragons.

These 4 elements could be switched around and used as the root topic as well which would put a different spin on the brief. Just re-order the elements to start with an Environment instead of a Character, or an Industrial Design, or Creature as the root topic. Ex:

Creature: Name: THE CEPHALOPOD

DESCRIPTION: The Cephalopod is a large, amphibious creature that resembles a cross between a squid and a crocodile. It has a long, serpentine body with eight tentacles that end in sharp claws. Its head is large and bulbous, with a pair of glowing eyes and a beak-like mouth.

HABITAT / ENVIRONMENT: The Cephalopod lives in the swamps and marshes of a remote island. It is an ambush predator, lying in wait for its prey to come within striking distance.

DIET: The Cephalopod feeds on fish, amphibians, and small mammals.

BEHAVIOUR: The Cephalopod is a solitary creature, but it will defend its territory if threatened. It is also known to be intelligent and curious.

CHARACTER: interacts with or goes against creature.

INDUSTRIAL DESIGN: Weapon, Vehicle, or other Device used by creature, rider, or a character antagonist against the creature.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
@Zebra I think that is a good idea in theory but not realistic in regard to the amount of time most participants have to create stuff like this leisurely. It could be a great idea for a monthly forum as that should give participants adequate time to create something solid. I personally prefer the weekly challenges to try and cover either one thing with a lot of focus or multiple things with good focus, although this forum is pretty much bi-weekly at this point due to people most likely not having enough time to bang one finished thing out in a week.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001