Crimson CHOW #49 - Twisted Christmas

This week's theme and brief by previous winner, CBinnsIllustration

Crimson Character of the Week #49
Twisted Christmas

"Take any holiday character and give them a creative new twist. Whether it be the Grinch, Krampus, Santa, an elf or maybe a reindeer, let's see a new twist on a classic. Could it be a radioactive Rudolph? An elf with a sinister secret? or perhaps a Santa that will steal your soul? Get creative."

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
  • AI may be used in the ideation process, but the final image must be 100% hand-drawn.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is Saturday, January 13th @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-
running ideas..... here's one....Big congratz CBinnsIllustration, great last round no doubt! Great new topic here! 

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun
Hellz Elvz.....

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
The last one is giving me grey alien. Have you thought of doing a run of Schlock horror movie posters?

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
@RottenPocket I can see the grey alien vibes you're taking about, it's the large dark eyes for sure. No I haven't thought of doing a run of Schlock horror movie posters; it's not a bad idea though.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Brick 
If there is anything I have gotten from this round, it's that I simply love to just draw and paint, especially on my terms. 

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
This one has very 'don't talk to me or my son ever again' vibes and it's really fun.

(01-05-2024, 08:28 PM)FallowGround Wrote: This one has very 'don't talk to me or my son ever again' vibes and it's really fun.
Thank you, I really appreciate the good words there and your view on this image. Cheerz!

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Dude @Lege1 these are great! I especially love the last one. Great job on the composition and overall mood on this one. Can’t wait to see where you take this one. To be honest with it being a snow scene it probably doesn’t need much more just some pops of color. There is something kind of appealing of the first sketch with the young snowman faded out, the contrast with the bigger snowman is working well to separate them. I could see him almost being seen through a magical snow flurry of some sort to push the contrast. But just a thought. Great job! I will try to get something in here before the deadline to join you pal, maybe this weekend.

(01-05-2024, 03:50 PM)Lege1 Wrote: If there is anything I have gotten from this round, it's that I simply love to just draw and paint, especially on my terms. 

I really like that the line as color and instead of the usual black. Using white as highlight and the color of the paper as the mid tone. That a style you should work more into. But it think the color ultimately isdefine by the subject matter. For example to evoke emotion such as red for let say a saint valentine piece or pink for a cute and girly subject matter.

Trying a monotone approach and replacing the white(highlight) with a lighter tone of a color of your choose using that color as midtone for the background. The line art should be that color in a darker tone.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Hey Happy New Year guys and I'm glad to see you back!

CBinnsIllustration: I'm really glad you are liking these and I have def been just trying to keep busy and enjoy the artistic journey in times of the year that are not really the best for me, but working on these made it a lot better for sure. Thanks for the input on the Snowmen piece and that is cool what you say about the first drawing and how the smaller one is in like a Snow storm.Def looking forward to you joinging in and seeing what you do man. I hope the end of the year and the beginning here has been good for you.

Darktiste:Thanks so much on that input and it reminds me that there are different looks to be had. I typically go with a more painterly style in my work, laying up loose to some what tighter sketches and then I paint over that. This time around I put a lot of work into the sketch aspect of this pretty much making that a finished product although I could have pushed it even further going more into a an inking process. Based on what you said here I think I will take a different approach and keep the line work as part of the finished artwork giving it more a 90's comic style art. If I have time I'll see if I can paint it out as well, as I've already created my base for that approach. I appreciate the good words and yes, I used to work on toned paper often with white colored pencil as highlights, it is a really great way to build a fun and impressive sketch book.

Here's two images:
1. with the Monochromatic look that @Darktiste suggested

2. with the black lines

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Brick 
Pretty much the final painted version of this one...........

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
I would pick the painterly version anyways just because the hatching for me here doesn't work in favor of creating a smooth snow feeling. Depend if you want realism or a graphical approach.

The thing with the style idea i gave you was that it was suppose to be monotone so no orange no yellow no brown.

So basically it like in the post 6 but i gave you the way to adapt it to any monotone scenario

One thing for the sweeper hold by the big snow men is that it not centered

By the way you kill it even those the participation is low you have pump out decent quality and good quantity of work.

I also want to note how you have play with subtle texture but manage to not go over board on relying on those texture brush to carry the piece

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
These are so good Lege, I'm kinda jealous how easily you come up with this stuff. I feel like I'm just like uuuuuh i can't think of anything...

I like the snowman one the best, I think the final version without hatching does look the best, but I like how the hatching looked in the drawing so I think there's definitely a way to incorporate it. Maybe with more flat colors so it has more a of a comic book vibe.

(01-08-2024, 06:34 AM)darktiste Wrote: I would pick the painterly version anyways just because the hatching for me here  doesn't work in favor of creating a smooth snow feeling. Depend if you want realism or a graphical approach.

The thing with the style idea i gave you was that it was suppose to be monotone so no orange no yellow no brown.

So basically it like in the post 6 but i gave you the way to adapt it to any monotone scenario

One thing for the sweeper hold by the big snow men is that it not centered

By the way you kill it even those the participation is low you have pump out decent quality and good quantity of work.

I also want to note how you have play with subtle texture but manage to not go over board on relying on those texture brush to carry the piece

Thank you Darktiste and I went ahead and put together a monochrome version for you above. I appreciate the good words on participation and the broom is definitely wonky. I don't like relying on brushes to make the image but would rather paint in a lot of my own textures and effects. Glad you like the painterly version. 

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
(01-08-2024, 06:40 AM)JosephCow Wrote: These are so good Lege, I'm kinda jealous how easily you come up with this stuff. I feel like I'm just like uuuuuh i can't think of anything...

I like the snowman one the best, I think the final version without hatching does look the best, but I like how the hatching looked in the drawing so I think there's definitely a way to incorporate it. Maybe with more flat colors so it has more a of a comic book vibe.

<<<Thanks on the good words and I just make it a point to have fun with what I'm doing. In my strong opinion the problem should be having too many ideas. I'm glad you like the Snowmen piece, I like that one too, and I also like the sketch version of it. If the sketch version was re-done as an ink out and colored like a 90's comic style, it would definitely look super cool; I could do it, but not really wanting to redo the same image in a different style. If that's a look you all would like then I could strive for that approach on the next image I do, instead of doing the painterly thing. Then the question would be to keep the black lines or show them in color, or keep mostly black lines and do some color line work here and there. 

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001