Hello
Smile 
Hello,
Signed on a couple days ago and thought I introduce myself. I have been drawing on and off my whole life, it is something that gives me peace and a way to escape. I just stared getting more serious about art a year ago and want to start learning even more.  I like illustrative drawing  and cartoon characters. Was told on another platform that this was a good art forum so here I am. I work with pencils, markers, and water soluble wax pastels. I want to start learning how to paint and work with Gouache. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Hope to talk to some of you soon.  Happy
Welcome Janie! There's a wealth of knowledge to find around this place, since the forum's been around for a long time. Would love to see some of your stuff!

Gouache is a fun medium, though it dries super fast. I'm not experienced with it, but I do have _some_ advice to offer. Don't get cheap ones! For me it's the worst material to cheap out on. Cheap watercolours and acrylics to me weren't too bad compared to better quality ones, but I got cheap gouache before and it sucked.

Hope to see you around!

Welcome!

I have been curious to get back into traditional media, and came across Nicker Colour Co paints, used by Studio Ghibli. It's a poster paint, but watched a few reviews and it's more like a gouache, opaque while staying thin, and dries super fast and matt. I also like that they come in decent small sized jars. Most paints I can get a hold of are in plastic tubes and go bad. A Tub is easier to regenerate with water. Haven't tried jelly gouache yet - anywho my contribution to this is, if you find a paint that works well for you, let me know.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(01-03-2024, 03:58 PM)FallowGround Wrote: Welcome Janie! There's a wealth of knowledge to find around this place, since the forum's been around for a long time. Would love to see some of your stuff!

Gouache is a fun medium, though it dries super fast. I'm not experienced with it, but I do have _some_ advice to offer. Don't get cheap ones! For me it's the worst material to cheap out on. Cheap watercolours and acrylics to me weren't too bad compared to better quality ones, but I got cheap gouache before and it sucked.

Hope to see you around!
Hi Thanks for the welcome!  
I went to the art store a few days ago and bought Winsor & Newton Gouache. I'm going try the primary colors out first so I can mix them, these little tubes were not cheap lol, but art supplies in general aren't cheap. Thanks for the advice on it drying fast I didn't know that. 
Looking forward to reading all the posts on here.
(01-03-2024, 04:46 PM)RottenPocket Wrote: Welcome!

I have been curious to get back into traditional media, and came across Nicker Colour Co paints, used by Studio Ghibli. It's a poster paint, but watched a few reviews and it's more like a gouache, opaque while staying thin, and dries super fast and matt. I also like that they come in decent small sized jars. Most paints I can get a hold of are in plastic tubes and go bad. A Tub is easier to regenerate with water. Haven't tried jelly gouache yet - anywho my contribution to this is, if you find a paint that works well for you, let me know.

Thanks for the info I will have to go check those out. I went to the art store a few days ago and bought
 Winsor & Newton gouache in primary colors to mix. 
I will let you know how they work out.