Self Taught Concept Art Curriculum
Hey there guys! Hope all is well with you.

I want to start my journey on becoming a concept artist. I have a part-time job and art schools are expensive. That's why I'm going for the self-taught route. I know it will be hard and will require discipline but is very much achievable.

Can you guys recommend me a concept art curriculum or roadmap to start.  I found Foundation Art Group/Patreon. And I think their materials are a good source for learning. I'm overwhelmed with the tutorials and don't know where to start really.

Also my problem with self-taught is i don't know if I'm on the right path, I might develop bad study and drawing habits along the way. I need a mentor of some sort or criticism of my work.

Btw is this a good guide?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-CZGR5t...biBhcnQ%3D

Any well would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
That probably an other good video to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7BihfT8JZ8

As far as advise there would be to numerous draw and go from there...

Free concept art curriculum can be found but they are not very well structure and leak a proper frame of work to support the content.So it why a structured professional paid course or video course series offer more structure to the content.

Foundation Art Group/Patreon is good but it paid content for what it is but it again not offering structure if you leak direction.Because it a more modular system of content.It like making your own plate at a buffet if you prefer.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Oh I get what you mean, it’s a bunch of tutorials with nothing to follow.

I just watched the video and I liked it. Books in itself has already a structure to follow. It’s more appealing. I’m gonna start with that.

Thanks for shedding the light. Appreciate it my man. Hope you have a good day!
(03-07-2024, 12:49 AM)dlenendra Wrote: Oh I get what you mean, it’s a bunch of tutorials with nothing to follow.

I just watched the video and I liked it. Books in itself has already a structure to follow. It’s more appealing. I’m gonna start with that.

Thanks for shedding the light. Appreciate it my man. Hope you have a good day!
Book sometime are also leaking in the practical department but at least you can draw what you find inside but that pretty much almost only exclusively teach you how to copy not how to draw. To draw you need the ability to extrapolate or if you prefer to develop your own set of drawing challenge.

I think what offer the most promise of being useful right away is to learn perspective as much as artist generally tend to hate it and push it away as long as they can. Perspective is what allow artist to bridge the gap between guess work and accurate representation.

Draw box is a practical drawing solution.(It the boring stuff we wish we could skip)that every artist who is trying to get good draftsmanship should consider doing. Learning to draw line,circle,ellipse,cube and more.It probably already terrify you ''the boring stuff'' but actually it the  ''secret'' because imaginative stuff is basically visualisation of very basic stuff that allow to go from a simple visualization of primitive form to a complex representation. So in short term you don't learn to run before you learn to walk. Going back to the basic is not about boring you to death but actually introducing structure to your journey and to at least give you a solid basis.(Regret come to those who overlook this simple yet straight forward observable reality)

https://drawabox.com/lesson/0/1/whatis

If you manage to reach lesson 7 you will will have to metamorphos the way you think some of it and apply the concept rather then to apply the actual technique which is only there to show you how to think and also to help other understand where you are in your fundamental journey. Guideline over complex object can become to numerous and would be detrimental this is why visualisation is superior.(But no body teach visualisation because it such a invisible subject aswell as a hard to graps one)

You see all those guide line?Well the idea is that once you are done with all those exercise you start to remove those guideline but that you still understand that at any moment you have the understanding and could therefor fall back onto that knowledge if necessary... but the goal in art i would say is visualisation. Learning to visualize point in perspective and create segment that turn into complex object.

Here a video of what visual representation of what it look like inside the head of someone who master it. But in the case of a pro it invisible it the understand of the rule that allow the visualization to occur in one mind eye.It look at the picture and understand how to digest it and regurgitate it or how to transform some of it essence into something new.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_TE1U7HBs

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Watch the videos she made about her concept art portfolio/education, and you'll get a really good idea about what kind of work she did during her time studying concept art: https://youtu.be/xGXE-F_o7NI?si=9mOUyJYeJ9RLPkBo