Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Arch's Book of Stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
hey dude ! i only got 3 things to say that will sum up everything : 1 : OBSERVE a lot more ! 2 : Think hard about your light source (stick to it ) and your volume, really think how it's turning away from light, how values would change, etc ! 3: concerning colors, just 2 things to remember, the first, that everyone know, when your light is warm, your shadow is cool, and vice versa ! second thing, that most of peoples forget or don't know, you have to keep the same difference of temperature between light and shadow in all the picture ! you always have some exeptions, but you get the idea ! hope this helps ! keep up your work !
Thank you for that, kik. I really do need to start thinking more when working on stuff, haha.

I've got too many sketches that need scanning, so here's just the ones I thought were worth the effort. If I'm going to scan stuff I'll be trying to make my scans look a bit more appealing. I'm done being scared and the next batch will just be from my head so expect some bad, haha. :p

[Image: sketches_zps8310e33f.jpg]
[Image: sketches2_zps5c196491.jpg]
[Image: sketches3_zps4ae9ad60.jpg]
Hey guys, here's just a quick update on what I've been working on. I feel like it's been forever since I started this, like most things it just feels like I'm burning out and it's crashing into the ground. I dunno, maybe I need more studies, or something.

I've been finding myself getting caught up on simple stuff. Maybe it would help if I actually planned out my pieces from now on (I'll do that) . Something in me feels like I'm still not taking this seriously enough, and I'm nothing more than an exaggerated hobbyist at the moment, haha.

Let us keep this positive! Any crits, or advise on how I can improve this would be nice! :D

Thanks.

[Image: adsad_zpsf085c609.jpg]
[Image: BreakingArt_zps623bea94.jpg]
More studies of armor for the dragon knight piece. Second armor study ever, haha. I never thought reflections, etc... would be so hard. Last one is from memory.

[Image: breakingart_zpsfd428dcb.jpg]
More studies. Time to work on the piece now.

[Image: wuick_zps342829ee.jpg]
[Image: quick_zpse32b7918.jpg]
[Image: dgdsgs_zpse2f24456.jpg]
Armor studies have been paying off. I think I need more, though, I'm going to do more. Yeah.

It's getting there...

[Image: shitscri4_zps42283ae4.png]
Such busy, much work, many finals, wow. . .

Finals weeks are here. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to post some stuff I've been doing for my portfolio class at school. I have no idea what I'm doing, haha. I really don't like the layouts, and the works aren't even finished yet, however I'm getting around to fixing all of that. :]

[Image: Grunt_Spread_zpsbac25d06.jpg]
[Image: Grunt_Goblin_Spread_zpse958edc4.jpg]
[Image: dragoon_spread2_zps2ab99841.jpg]
[Image: Bird_Spread_Revised-2_zpsa9bcc722.jpg]
[Image: Revised_Spread_OvercastScout_zpse5a877a9.jpg]

[Image: sketch_zps1325fbf9.jpg]
Update on that older piece, almost there! :D

[Image: OvercastScout02_zps017f8fc1.jpg]
Nice updates man, loving all those armour studies! I like how you've painted that dragon's head in the dragoon piece too.

This latest orc scout has potential too, it seems to be coming along quite nicely. If you would like a crit, I would perhaps try to bring some focal attention in to an area of interest, like his face or the bow by adding some stronger light and colout to it. Maybe even some high saturated colour in his ear where the light is hitting it, like you've kind of done already. Also try and drop some hard edges in there, like around the focal points of the head or bow to contrast all those soft ones you've got going on in there.

sweet work mate, and good luck with your finals!
Thanks, man. Yeah, I'll definitely be putting more time into the goblin/orc since I've pretty much finished the background, I'm really itching to really bring him out, as you said with lighting and edge contrast.

I've been really busy, so every day's been a nonstop rush to get things done. It's been feeling pretty good, actually. Finishing stuff isn't what I'm used to, but I'm really liking how it feels. :]

Here's that other dragon from a LONG time ago (for my portfolio) I finish the other night. I can't say I'm too pleased with it, however it's a step in the right direction...I think, haha.

I've got two more weeks left and then a whole big month off to do whatever I want. I don't think I've ever been so hyped for a break, I can't wait to share some of the more secret stuff I've been planning in the back of my head.

[Image: dgsd_zpscb4d845a.png]
It's awesome to see you so fired up about your work! It's cool to see how you are playing around with lighting schemes with the dragon and orc guy. If I can offer a crit on the dragon dude, I think you could push the intensity of the fire more and it would add some more drama to it. There are also a few parallel lines in the image that caught my eye (his neck, leg and tail) but overall impressive job man.
On your goblin scout: I think there is too much unnecesarry space on the painting, I'd either narrow the cutout or bring some compositional elements in there, otherwise its gonna be nice. Your dragon has an awesome dynamic pose and composition. :)
Thanks pnate and Kaffer. :D

Yeah, I didn't see the neck and the tail parallel, haha. It can be easily fixed in the future. Kaffer, I'd have to agree with you. I got a bit lost in the scenery as it was, so I'll see how cropping it down will look.

Apparently it's draw a Pokemon month, or something. I just painted one anyways as I've been playing a lot of Pokemon X lately. Garchomp is my hero.

[Image: garchompgugg_zps35ecf43d.png]
Nearly a month, and too long, haha. I've mostly been too lazy to post. Here's just some sketchy stuff from the past two weeks.

Sketchbook stuff to come.

[Image: thisisit2_zpsc249f86d.jpg]
[Image: pract_zpsf75d9c22.jpg]
I haven't touched my sketchbook in over a month, haha. It's so hard getting back into it, but it's worth it for the figures. I really want to fix my figures, so I'll be having some stuff from my book posted on here everyday. Even if it's just a little something, I want to get back to posting regularly again.

First few things are studies, the last page is the real fight from my memory, haha. I've got a long way, but I'm going to enjoy the process.

Hope everyone's having a great start to the new year. :D

[Image: 3_zps7927fad2.jpg]
[Image: 2_zpsa1f7ecbc.jpg]
[Image: 1_zps25569a76.jpg]
[Image: 4_zpsa0ca7765.jpg]
More stuff from the sketchbook. Sorry again for shit scans.... I really need to figure out what's making all those dark spots... Damn it, haha.

I figured most of my problems related to painting could be solved by "going back to basics" and drawing. More figures to come, I really am going to try to do studies and do some stuff from my head each day.

[Image: art4_zpsf319daae.jpg]
[Image: art2_zps50f47ed0.jpg]
[Image: art5_zps3f21ca6c.jpg]
[Image: Untitled-1_zps364aaade.jpg]
[Image: art6_zps61f7a226.jpg]
Stuffs coming along nicely!
Thanks kidult. :]

I think I'm going to focus more on arms tomorrow. Floating torso's, no legs, hahaha. Legs too.

I've got at least one painting I want to do before my break is up, I'll get an update up here by the end of next week. I really hate school, I really don't want to go back to generals, 3D classes, animation, the bus, and lost time with no drawing/painting....

More to tome, Daggers. :]]

[Image: art7_zpsb66577d6.jpg]
[Image: art6_zps43fb5b56.jpg]
[Image: art5_zps8cbd221b.jpg]
[Image: art4_zpsca1c69a3.jpg]
[Image: art3_zps6aea50cb.jpg]
[Image: art2_zps7aac931d.jpg]
[Image: art1_zps8daebecf.jpg]
[Image: art_zps68562c86.jpg]
[Image: Untitled-1_zps98ceff35.jpg]
[Image: gdfsgd_zpsd9111d21.jpg]
Hey, really awesome stuff Archreux!

Really enjoying the movement in your paintings and figures drawings. Your line and gesture is really improving a lot!

At the moment, some things I see sticking out are a lack of detail (or even suggested detail) in your final work (maybe try rendering some of those texture spheres?) and although your colors are really good right now, your greens feel a bit out of place (mostly over saturated I guess). Hope you find the critiques useful.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24