Milen Dimitrov - Sketchbook
This is one fine sketchbook you got here!
Will follow this one ^^
Thank you guys! You seem to be doing pretty well too! Thank you for being interested and supportive! 

I've been having some issues with designing my environments so I wanted to share a little trick I came across recently in case anyone struggles with the same thing. If you design a building or a specific area in 2D first, front or top view, it's much much easier that way because you can focus on the design itself not having to mind the perspective. Of course you can later on transfer it to 3D. Seems like a bit of extra work but it pays off handsomely. 

I guess my brain would overload and panic each time I tried to design something complicated in 3D. Let me know if anyone else finds it useful.

[Image: hephaestus_market___top_view_mr_by_se7en...a0opvm.jpg]

Some more character sketches

[Image: atlas_maincharacters_by_se7enfaces-da2bogv.jpg]

[Image: 5___atlasdesigns_noah___faces_01_by_se7e...a0tfwj.jpg]

And I also decided to change the background of this portrait for some reason

[Image: milen-dimitrov-untitled-6-3-mr.jpg?1464328939]

Not much comic work happening lately. It's always hard to say no to portraits

A lovely friend of mine

[Image: nadya_by_se7enfaces-da4ffeq.jpg]

[Image: n02_sketch_bw_mr2_by_se7enfaces-da4fi95.jpg]

Also I've never tried painting Iron-Man so I thought it would make a good practice. The scene is from Age of Ultron
[Image: iron_man_wip_by_se7enfaces-da4fh0j.jpg]

The design aesthetics looks heavily like Silvestri, Jim Lee or McFarlane, a bit of Michael Turner and a hint of Joe Mad put in a blender. I know you're trying to create your own style, but your work resonates to that early 90's comic book Marvel or early Image house style. By all means, there's nothing wrong that. Just saying, your craftsmanship reminds me of them!

Portraits looks super!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(05-30-2016, 11:27 PM)John Wrote: The design aesthetics looks heavily like Silvestri, Jim Lee or McFarlane, a bit of Michael Turner and a hint of Joe Mad put in a blender. I know you're trying to create your own style, but your work resonates to that early 90's comic book Marvel or early Image house style. By all means, there's nothing wrong that. Just saying, your craftsmanship reminds me of them!

Portraits looks super!

Thanks man! You seem to know comics very well, are you a fan as well? 
I'd love to find my own style eventually and I look up to those guys, very accurate!
As a 90's kid all these artists you mentioned are icons to me Thumbs_up

And I'm glad you don't find anything wrong with the style so far, I never wanted to be a copycat.

Totally! I'm a huge comic book fan to this day. Each and every guy I mentioned is an inspiration one way or another. Oh dude, you made me miss Michael turner so much. I see glimpses of his work in how you draw your faces. Like passing of the torch or something.

About finding your own style. There's a lot of guys work in the industry who started drawing like Jim Lee and slowly branched out of that style and created his own, right? Like Philip Tan, Jason Fabok and tons of Jim Lee influenced guys. I remember Brett Booth getting shat on because people think he's a Jim Lee copy-cat. I just hate it when people don't realize, at the end of the day, every artist is just a remix of their own influences.

Man, I hope you get to join in the next CC. From what I've heard, it might be something that's up your alley. And finally, I sincerely hope I get see your name, working for the big two one day!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(05-31-2016, 07:28 AM)John Wrote: Totally! I'm a huge comic book fan to this day. Each and every guy I mentioned is an inspiration one way or another. Oh dude, you made me miss Michael turner so much. I see glimpses of his work in how you draw your faces. Like passing of the torch or something.

About finding your own style. There's a lot of guys work in the industry who started drawing like Jim Lee and slowly branched out of that style and created his own, right? Like Philip Tan, Jason Fabok and tons of Jim Lee influenced guys. I remember Brett Booth getting shat on because people think he's a Jim Lee copy-cat. I just hate it when people don't realize, at the end of the day, every artist is just a remix of their own influences.

Man, I hope you get to join in the next CC. From what I've heard, it might be something that's up your alley. And finally, I sincerely hope I get see your name, working for the big two one day!

Hatred towards these guys doesn't seem deserved, it's rarely the answer anyway..
It's true what you said about the influences and I can't thank you enough for the kind words!! It would surely be a dream come true if I ever make it that far. I do feel a bit silly for just imagining it though. Ironically comic art is such a mystery to me, I feel somehow intimidated and way more comfortable with painting. Perhaps that comes from the late start I've had but I'm slowly beginning to understand it now.

CC sounds amazing! I've never had the chance to attend but I'd really like to some day! I hear the event keeps getting bigger every year and it looks like a total blast. Hopefully you'll get the chance to go!

This one was difficult to complete, whew. Intended to be a study and I also added some lousy looking vfx to add a little more depth to the scene. 

[Image: iron_man_by_se7enfaces-da8kzi5.jpg]

I also decided to post some concept art assignments I did for a job at Ubisoft. Needless to say I didn't get in but it was worth a try.

[Image: plague_doctor_by_se7enfaces-da8l5sn.jpg]

[Image: bird_eye_view_by_se7enfaces-da8l5oi.jpg]

[Image: arriving_at_dawn_by_se7enfaces-da8l5iw.jpg]

Not sure if many people do that but I like to recycle older work 

[Image: psylocke_2_0_by_se7enfaces-daaj8av.jpg]

Learning the craft..

Did some coloring and lettering on a page from 3 years ago. 

[Image: before_the_knight___page_1_by_se7enfaces-dabnzxk.jpg]

[Image: before_the_knight___page_1___process_by_...abo59g.jpg]

[Image: the_dark_knight_by_se7enfaces-dacurt8.jpg]

[Image: the_dark_knight___inks_by_se7enfaces-dacvvc9.jpg]

[Image: angel_armorandwings_linework_lr_by_se7en...adfvb3.jpg]

[Image: milen-dimitrov-angel-armorandwings-color...1470984493]

[Image: debris_by_se7enfaces-dadyao4.jpg]

That last image looks professional, maybe a few tiny colour variations.

(08-15-2016, 05:16 AM)RickRichards Wrote: That last image looks professional, maybe a few tiny colour variations.

Thank you, that's not a bad idea!

It's kind of funny but my work seems pretty random these days

[Image: atlas_sketches_by_se7enfaces-daedj9j.jpg]

[Image: fluffy_by_se7enfaces-daedilr.jpg]