HIRVIOS- Art Log
Photo 
Here's my collection of art!

Here's some of my Finished pieces. 

I'll do my best to post weekly updates!

Any and All Critiques are greatly appreciated!

Here's my links:
https://hirvios.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://www.artstation.com/hirvios
https://www.instagram.com/hirvios/

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

More Sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

Even more Sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

Most recent Sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

Messed around with colors!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi there!

I like your sketches. I think the full colour rendered pieces could benefit from a bit more study of materials. I'm not quite feeling the differentiation between the surfaces that are metallic/rugged/slimy/furry etc. I'd suggest looking in a bit more depth about how different surfaces reflect light, because I can see that you're using textured brushes in some places, but you're also giving different kinds of material a very similar value range (which might be because of working in greyscale and then adding colour on top?)
Still life studies are great for learning materials, or you could do this kind of thing:
https://www.deviantart.com/art/Material-...-346109337
https://www.deviantart.com/art/Material-...-491076267
https://www.deviantart.com/art/Material-...-446411001

-   Sketchbook   - 
(01-08-2018, 09:00 AM)BadWoolf Wrote: Hi there!

I like your sketches. I think the full colour rendered pieces could benefit from a bit more study of materials. I'm not quite feeling the differentiation between the surfaces that are metallic/rugged/slimy/furry etc. I'd suggest looking in a bit more depth about how different surfaces reflect light, because I can see that you're using textured brushes in some places, but you're also giving different kinds of material a very similar value range (which might be because of working in greyscale and then adding colour on top?)
Still life studies are great for learning materials, or you could do this kind of thing:
https://www.deviantart.com/art/Material-...-346109337
https://www.deviantart.com/art/Material-...-491076267
https://www.deviantart.com/art/Material-...-446411001

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Wow, yeah, that makes a lot of sense;
Honestly, this is quite embarrassing to admit, but I have done next to no long-careful studies  of different real-life materials.
Yep, I add as much detail as I can and make sure the shapes are clearly readable in B/W, then I start adding colors through gradient maps and various layer effects.
Yee... I'm agree... The color combinations are a bit overwhelming in the full color pieces. Like in some of them the colors are so vibrant and so saturated... maybe you can still pick those colors (or in the same range) but reduce the saturation (?) Also in some of those pieces is hard to tell where the light is coming from... maybe cause of the materials (I'm talking about the weird snaky creature and the minotaury creature with the horns... The others look better to me in terms of light)

I really like your character designs, but I don't have to much of a experience of that department so I don't know if I can really help you out in that regard :Y
(01-08-2018, 09:36 PM)UselessPotato Wrote: Yee... I'm agree... The color combinations are a bit overwhelming in the full color pieces. Like in some of them the colors are so vibrant and so saturated... maybe you can still pick those colors (or in the same range) but reduce the saturation (?) Also in some of those pieces is hard to tell where the light is coming from... maybe cause of the materials (I'm talking about the weird snaky creature and the minotaury creature with the horns... The others look better to me in terms of light)

I really like your character designs, but I don't have to much of a experience of that department so I don't know if I can really help you out in that regard :Y

B-b-but...I like saturation...

Yeah, I definitely went overboard with the saturation on some of them, 
I mostly did it to make them more eye-catching,I guess it backfired huh.....

On the Snake and Minotaur creature:
The light is supposedly coming from the top-down, but I lighted them this way partially because they're supposed to be used as characters in a game ( So they need to be clearly visible)

No worries! I'm always glad to hear when somebody likes my designs!

Thanks!
(01-08-2018, 09:36 PM)UselessPotato Wrote: Yee... I'm agree... The color combinations are a bit overwhelming in the full color pieces. Like in some of them the colors are so vibrant and so saturated... maybe you can still pick those colors (or in the same range) but reduce the saturation (?) Also in some of those pieces is hard to tell where the light is coming from... maybe cause of the materials (I'm talking about the weird snaky creature and the minotaury creature with the horns... The others look better to me in terms of light)

This should be easier on the eyes

Attached Files Image(s)

Now it looks more pleasing... I think... what I mean is that you don't really need to go to the tip of the spectrum and pick a saturated red to convey a reddish feeling you know?... Also regarding to the snaky guy and the minotaur... I'd just light then normally if you had the need to present them to someone... cause the problem with that set up is the the form (3d) is confusing to read and it looks kinda flat at some points as a result
(01-08-2018, 11:14 PM)UselessPotato Wrote: Now it looks more pleasing... I think... what I mean is that you don't really need to go to the tip of the spectrum and pick a saturated red to convey a reddish feeling you know?... Also regarding to the snaky guy and the minotaur... I'd just light then normally if you had the need to present them to someone... cause the problem with that set up is the the form (3d) is confusing to read and it looks kinda flat at some points as a result

Understood.
Those monsters were painted a couple months ago, I've improved a little bit, I think I'd approach them a different way now.
Thanks for the feedback!
(01-09-2018, 12:20 AM)HIRVIOS Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 11:14 PM)UselessPotato Wrote: Now it looks more pleasing... I think... what I mean is that you don't really need to go to the tip of the spectrum and pick a saturated red to convey a reddish feeling you know?... Also regarding to the snaky guy and the minotaur... I'd just light then normally if you had the need to present them to someone... cause the problem with that set up is the the form (3d) is confusing to read and it looks kinda flat at some points as a result

Understood.
Those monsters were painted a couple months ago, I've improved a little bit, I think I'd approach them a different way now.
Thanks for the feedback!

U're welcome! I'll keep an eye on your stuff sir :Y
So I'm going to post some of my studies now.
They're all going to be figure/gesture studies.
I've done the whole Draw a Box challenge, but they're all drawn on traditional paper (as they should be) so it's a bit cumbersome to take pictures of all of them and start posting (I might reconsider if people show interest)

I'll start with a bunch of older (2017) daily digital gesture/figure drawings, some Hands (5 min each) and a few Heads (I'm really inexperienced with faces...they're not too good, they're about 5 min each) . 

(I have a stack of gestures done traditionally, but again, it would be cumbersome to post)

Attached Files Image(s)

These would be more recent.

I'm using the 30 min class mode form the website lineofaction.com
So the order is accordingly-
first 10 are 30sec
then 5 are 60 sec
then 2 are 5 min
then last is 10 min

Also some hands (about 6-7 min each)

Attached Files Image(s)

WIP detailed personal piece, there's still a bunch of things I'd like to tweak and change,
but I'd still appreciate any Feedback!

Attached Files Image(s)

WIP of The Trio of Scrap-bots!

Robot's built out of semi-random parts scavenged from other deceased cyborgs and robots!

1st one is the same one from above, but just in B/W

2nd is still in re-design stage, not worrying too much about values at this point,
 mainly trying to create interesting, cool shapes right now 

3rd is still untouched, this is what the other two looked like before

Attached Files Image(s)

Early Re-sketches, 10 min each, not much detail applied yet, only general shapes right now

Attached Files Image(s)

WIP re-sketches 
1st three have colors missing 
2nd three only have cleaner lines applied

Attached Files Image(s)