Leg Muscles Study
More of a suggestion and opinion.

3d model is great if the person know what they are doing otherwise it questionable as reference but how would you know that the issue.I suggest working as much from life as possible.Find yourself a victim and take photo of there leg it best to utilize the summer time since it at that time that you get the most chance to catch a leg in is natural habitat.For normal leg ambush i suggest to hunt them down at school during launch time or before class start if your a student.But always make sure to ask permission DON'T BE A CREEP.You can always compensate them in your own way for the service of providing you with reference.

When build your reference gallery don't forget to take many picture of the same pose and to move around to get different angle and ask if they can do certain pose.Obviously if you can find a fellow artist to be a live model for you i am sure they will have no choose but to do the same for you and it a great way to always have fresh tailor to your need reference.You can also torture your family with reference request in exchange of doing some chore around the house.It sure is more work then working from content found on the internet but it much more valuable because it custom made reference.
Plus you learn an other skill which is photography.

Dissecting and understanding is just half of the work applying what you just learn to a new drawing using as little reference as possible is how you solidify the information to your memory.This is why as JosephCow said in is own word you get more out of learning construction because you want a big shape first to add or remove from the shape because you get closer to the real shape much quicker.When you look at the negative space ask yourself why is there bump or a straight line. Is it because there a bone underneath poking to the surface or is because the muscle is getting activated? Why is the curve strong or relaxed? What is the leg doing that the kind of thing that make you understand the action if you don't ask those question you get static pose that feel unatural almost robotic.Some muscle are only showing in specific scenario it up to you to find why is it happening(it probably a muscle that is underneath other muscle group)

One thing i suggest you remember is that the join where limb bend is generally where you will find bone nearest to the surface so there is not much chance that you get strang bump but the shape vary greatly because it a join.When a muscle contrat there also a muscle group that relax.

When you invent figure you want to have a picture of the land mark of the body to establish your proportion.

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.

Messages In This Thread
Leg Muscles Study - by Flying Ball - 04-18-2024, 02:24 PM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by JosephCow - 04-20-2024, 06:07 AM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by darktiste - 04-20-2024, 06:26 PM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by JosephCow - 04-20-2024, 11:19 PM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by Flying Ball - 05-08-2024, 08:11 AM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by JosephCow - 05-09-2024, 04:12 AM
RE: Leg Muscles Study - by darktiste - 05-09-2024, 04:51 AM