Working towards consistency
I don't think it necessary to add the hatching on the box i know you work in ink but i think you should use a marker for the value just for saving time and working on what important in the exercise. Which is achieving a understanding of perspective. Value can always be delayed what matter the most is the quality of the vertical and horizontal and the vanishing line going to the vanishing point atleast in the 1 and 2 point perspective.

Also one thing i recommend for the 1 point and 2 point exercise is to get an angle checker and at the end to measure if you have 90 degre angle. You don't need one you can always finish the drawing and come back with a fresh eye and check and mark where you had some problem.It important to be aware of ''sloppyness'' otherwise you can't use what been done so far on the page as guide for the rest of the drawing as you can't erase mistake. So it very important to make sure that the first few line you put down are as perfect as you can if you are to use them for visual comparison against one an other. Since it ink the line might get worst and worst if you compare the vertical or horizontal against one and other so the trick to check for vertical and horizontal is to check the edge of the page you draw own since the length of the page will give you your horizontal guide and the height of the page will give you a vertical guide that you can always rely on more accurately but they are often further so not always the best line to compare against. It also a good idea to take the side of the page that as the best correspondence with the quality of the line you are achieving let say for example you want to do a vertical in the top left of the page you would use the left height of the page as the vertical guide. One trick you can do to have a guide at the middle is what called dividing a rectangle you basically make diagonal that start from the corner of the page that reach the opposite corner of the page then you do that until you have two set of diagonal one from the left and one from the right. Where the two diagonal meet you get the center of page. You can then use a ruler to divide the page into equal length and you get a vertical guide and a horizontal guide that run through the middle of the page that create new set of guide to compare. It a trick similar to how to find the middle point of a side of an object in perspective but in the case here it a visual guide for angle. Why i suggest you use guide first is because you need to be aware of how the degree of a line if you want to do the most basic 3d form which is arguably the box. The guide remind you and humble you.

The first exercise as more confident line but might be the result of using a ruler will the other look more free handed and should be what we strive for as artist even if it not necessary i think it helpful to have free hand horizontal and vertical line master because it mean we understand how to imagine to imaginary point and draw from one to an other with a small error margin.This help fast sketching and it avoid the stiffness of the ruler which is generally artificially looking.

For the manga i think you can push the expressiveness of the pose as i find that some of to be more vertical than they should be.

Not sure if you need to spend time learning calligraphy as you can pretty easly do webcomic but it a nice skill to have if you want to develop your own ''police of letter''

I added the picture of the technique to create the middle guide and i also gave you a few exercise example that should be pretty self explanatory but if you want any detail on what the goal in those i can always elaborate if you ask.

I will also probably remove the guide example to help keep your sketchbook a bit more short to the point and not take to much space.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.

Messages In This Thread
Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-06-2024, 06:42 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-06-2024, 07:26 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by darktiste - 08-06-2024, 07:33 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Jephyr - 08-08-2024, 12:41 PM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Tribulator - 08-10-2024, 03:15 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-12-2024, 12:54 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-18-2024, 07:29 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by one_two - 08-18-2024, 07:31 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by darktiste - 08-18-2024, 10:37 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Lillen - 08-19-2024, 01:55 AM
RE: Working towards consistency - by Navaali - 08-21-2024, 08:05 AM