Copyright Infringement and Selling prints of Famous Properties
My opinion about fanart is that it should be encouraged it like free ad for them and it also a free way for them to see talented artist they can hire .But instead they are suing artist for helping them promote there stuff is just stupid money story.

My opinion is that the public should be able to choose in which style they want to own a product some time you will prefer a fanart better then a original. Fair competition should be encouraged but they just try to control by fear.

Art should not be own but be shared to be improve for the better.(this would be possible if cash didn’t exist but that not the case)

An idea (compliation of observation) that you try to monetize that ok but to say that idea is all your is a lie. Idea are only solution to problem sure you may have the credit that you create a solution but after that you need to stop and let people come up with better solution that why fanart exist it a interpretation that try to improve some idea.

So if you really want to do something fanbase and make profit with it you should do it with there approval or forget about it because you put yourself in a position where they can sue and they can make you lose a lot of your own time so I would suggest you make fanart for yourself if you enjoy it or want to learn by doing it or to offer them as gift to people who may like it or try to come up with your own idea instead of revisiting idea.You are better working with them instead of against them if your a true fan you will understand sure they may be overprotective of there image but that how it work when you make a name you need to defend yourself.

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Copyright Infringement and Selling prints of Famous Properties - by darktiste - 12-01-2013, 09:10 AM