If you are learning a new language...
I would love to learn Japanese - both because I am very interested in the culture and think it's a beautiful language, and because I have family there. I've already tried three times or so to learn it, but without further application I always forget everything again. "It's cool" is obviously playing a role here too, as I'm attracted by everything exotic and different ;)
What you call bridges fascinates me too, not only English words in Japanese which can be quite funny, but also between related languages like English and German. Also, it makes me really happy to hear someone who speaks English use a German word :D
But I also really enjoy finding differences in idioms or metaphors, especially since it makes me aware of the *literal* meanings of those things, which we often use without thinking.
English is such a beautiful language. I hope one day I'll be able to speak and write it really fluently. Fun fact: Sometimes I catch myself using a phrase, which I then have to look up to see if it's real and if it really means what I think it does. Yay for passive language learning!

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!

Messages In This Thread
If you are learning a new language... - by meat - 05-23-2014, 09:31 AM
RE: If you are learning a new language... - by Lyraina - 05-26-2014, 02:56 AM