Focus on strengths?
@Hermi, I hear you, I do think I learn more and the images come out better when I'm really into the image I'm creating.

@meat, OK.. I shall be symmetrically pointy instead of my natural round shape.. :D

@Amit, thanks, that was kind of what I wanted to hear I guess, I /love/ painting animals, even doing copies teaches me massive amounts - despite the notion that copying doesn't - when it comes to detailed rendering, nothing makes me look harder and figure out perspective etc more than trying to make it look /right/.. still can't nail it yet, but it doesn't feel like a struggle, just a happy process, especially when I can take the info and apply it elsewhere. I actually started that shark with the intention of just getting the basic perspective down - it isn't quite there but that's just a matter of repetition and refinement, because I wanted to paint a dragon swimming under water towards the viewer, I started out looking for images of eels, but none had quite the right foreshortening going on. But the photos of sharks captured me, they had a clarity, detail and perspective I just really wanted to replicate and learn from.
IDK, I worry all I'll be good at is being a photocopy machine, which is why I want to get deeper into form, anatomy and perspective within animals and build my own creatures. The distance between copying and creating doesn't seem quite so far now, when I first started out it would have been impossible.

Messages In This Thread
Focus on strengths? - by Punk-A-Cat - 09-11-2015, 08:54 AM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by Brian Hermelijn - 09-11-2015, 09:05 AM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by meat - 09-11-2015, 10:05 AM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by Amit Dutta - 09-11-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by Punk-A-Cat - 09-11-2015, 10:55 AM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by Jeso - 09-11-2015, 11:40 AM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by Punk-A-Cat - 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by vlada - 09-11-2015, 12:21 PM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by RottenPocket - 09-11-2015, 09:22 PM
RE: Focus on strengths? - by Punk-A-Cat - 09-12-2015, 10:03 AM