Drawing is more important than painting
Well, I have to agree with Tristan Berndt. I can't remember who said that "Drawing is intelect and Colour is emotion". Referring to the examples of sculpting, and photo bashing, etc, we can learn as many shortcuts as we want, if we can't understand the form in our minds, nothing good will come of it. Sculpting is "merely" pulling a 3d form out of a 2d drawing. Sure, we may only see the end result taking form, but that's what's happening. The same happens with painting (and by the way, any photo bashing that in the end communicates a clear visual idea). If there's clear visual communication in the end, unless your talking about abstract painting, the drawing is the base of everything. 

Another thing I've heard (and this I'm almost sure it was Bobby Chiu, but I can be wrong) was that all the painters that we see that start immediately with colour and work they way up until they have a final piece, they all have the drawing skills way advanced in their minds, they just don't need to express it anymore to get to the final result. I think something similar happens with amazing sculptors. 

Finally (my 3rd quote which I can't recall the author), someone was talking about how 90% the times that someone is stuck in a painting and can't solve a problem, the problem is not the painting but the drawing underneath. He was talking about reviews he does for other (less advanced) artists. And in the end he said something like "If you want to level up your paintings, draw like hell". 

I'm not sure who said it but I remember that all these guys were big guns in the industry, and I'm yet to hear any top pro to come forward and say something like "drawing will be unimportant as a skill in a couple of years". I don't see it happening but maybe I'm completely wrong. I hope not :) what a uninteresting world would be :)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drawing is more important than painting - by miguelnova00 - 01-17-2016, 12:31 PM