Donations for the server with a tournament?
Mariyan-Hristov- I don't mind putting up a thumbnail gallery showcase at the top of the forum, and I think you did a very nice job with the example, but how would some of these sketchbooks be chosen? Would they ever be rotated? Because you can only post so many thumbnails up there without making a clutter. I'd need a separate thread on the subject to see what people really want to see up there. Like maybe people who win through a tournament get put up there?

Triggerpigking- There's no donation option at the moment, but I might add one soon if things go bad. Also, yeah, I used to do a Crimson Sticky thing to highlight some peoples sketchbooks that I thought were improving and working hard, but it got really time consuming reviewing so many sketchbooks, and it didn't really do much to get people excited or more active. In fact, what's sad, is that most of the people that got Crimson Stickied barely post on here anymore. 

DQ_Nick- Yup, I'll most likely add one of these thumbnail gallery showcases at the top of the forum when I have some free time, I just need to find out what the daggers actually want to see up there, and how it would function.

Lodratio- Yeah, exactly. I like the idea of the showcase at the top of the forum, I just need a separate discussion on how you guys actually want it to function, and what gets put up there.

Hobitt- Yup it looks like the majority of you guys want a thumbnail showcase at the top of the forum, I just need to figure out the specifics of how it would actually function.

meat-  From the looks of it, it seems the majority aren't interested in a prize money option with a tournament, but some are willing to donate specifically for server costs.

Olooriel-  For me personally, what made the Bloodsports and Golden Boy competitions successful was a couple of factors. Dave/Dan's charisma/character greatly attracted people to them, and for others they got incentive with the thought of getting their work featured on a larger scale or getting critiqued by a professional. It's not exactly easy to emulate any of these in my introverted state. But, I hope you are right that more people would participate with these small type of incentives. As you can see from our community challenges section, it's a little dead, with little participation, but then again there were no real prizes.

ZombieChinchilla- I think it's an interesting idea, I just don't know how many people would be willing to participate in something like this.

Amit Dutta- I agree, an active admin team that streams daily or even weekly would be ideal to the liveness of the forums. I just don't know where I would find such people that didn't get something out of it. Dave/Dan were doing it well, but I'm sure doing it every day or week probably took a toll on them; with all of the other responsibilities they had to take care of. It was actually tough enough to find an active mod to take care of things when I was moving, with smrr being the only person that was willing to step up to help at the time. 

Baoto- Yeah, I try to get community feedback before I do anything drastic. There's no donation option at the moment, but I may be adding one soon.

RottenPocket- Every couple of months when the forums die down here and there, I try to come up with some ideas that might help people become a little more interested, and active. I realize we have a few people that don't have that much time to participate, I just don't want the daggers to simply rot and die by doing nothing.

Piotr Jasielski- I do agree with your analogy, this is somewhat like Paris without the Eiffel Tower. But, some of us have been here from the very start and have learned a ton from each other and have made friendships. We have a lot of resources/features/activities that some other alternative art forums don't have and I don't want to break that bond or abandon you guys just because we lost OUR Eiffel tower. 

smrr- Yup, I think it's pretty clear from the majority that we wont be having cash prizes. Hopefully the donation thing wont become too much of a problem if it gets implemented.

Piotr Jasielski- it would be great if you could help by organizing an event that people would be interested in joining. I can create a separate forum thread for this event to be placed, with the incentive of possibly getting the winners work featured on the top of the forum in a thumbnail gallery showcase and in some sort of hall of fame section? I can also give a shout out to people on facebook. 

If anyone is willing to help Piotr in this feat give him a message. Even if this is just an experiment to see how people react, I think it's worth a try. Give me a message with what you need and when and if you are ready to start, so I can put together whatever needs to be done.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I think it's pretty clear from the majority that you guys don't want a tournament with cash prizes. Or at least as an incentive to donate, but are okay and willing to donate a few dollars specifically for server costs, if it comes down to it? 

I can work on getting that thumbnail gallery showcase at the top of the forum, but I need to know exactly how you guys want that to function and how you want peoples sketchbooks to be selected.
Im sure donation will go fine, i saw smaller websites having a server donation thing and most donated, considering this forum has a lot of members it will work out well, as for the thumbnails selection, i think maybe make some sort of thread and people would suggest someone and it would work like that strawpoll website http://strawpoll.me/
im not sure how one can make this work on a  forum , but its just an idea.

There actually are daggers who stream on a schedule, but they're so busy keeping their own schedule and work load in check, they aren't able to actively admin a forum like this. People need to divide the work load. You can't expect admins to manage this forum, keep a stream schedule to keep things lively, do their day job, and then also do their own self-improvement workload _all together_. The last 2 are shared by every person here, so any single add-on responsibility is already asking them a huge favor for us. On top of that, having multiple admins means a new job description - coordinating meetings and communicating with each other about what each of their division is up do and how it's doing. Just the thought of these scares me, but I'm likely over-thinking the whole thing.

For now setting up a donation for server cost is probably the best thing.

Admin-ing will probably best be done with several like-minded people who wants to work together for the forum.

Focus.
hhey!
I dont know if making cash prizes would entice more people to join the challenges.

Personally the reason I havent is because of work
As much as I would love to join , I most likely dont have time  to do a full illustration in just one week. (also the reason why I am inactive here too, sorry)
But I plan to as soon as work slows down Shock
Also it'd be nice if Character challenges came back, last one was last year Tongue

I like Mariyan's layout with the illustration thumbs at the top of the page!

Maybe allowing badges to people who win challenges would be good too? I know they had them on CGHub and it was one of the reasons I entered their challenges, they looked nice :P
Quote:Maybe allowing badges to people who win challenges would be good too? I know they had them on CGHub and it was one of the reasons I entered their challenges, they looked nice :P

yess i didnt remember the badges from cghub! they were cool, and knowing how the human brain works, im sure more people would be willing to join challenges if they know that they can earn a cool badge behind their username.
Probably for the same reason people cant stop obsesing about getting achievements in games. 
Though i have no idea how difficult or time consuming would be to implement something like that.

Yeah I remember the CA forums had badges too, I always kinda wanted one but I don't know how much it encouraged me to participate, haha. Would be a nice idea though.