Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook
(11-14-2019, 10:29 AM)Leo Ki Wrote: You cracked me up with the "excuse for studying" trick XD
You're right, gray or a desaturated warm color will look blue on a warm context (veins, shadows) but it didn't read blue to me in this case and I wrongly inferred the suit was white. True white, on the other hand, will really have blue shadows in the atmosphere because the scattered blue light will just add up and not fight for hue.
Speaking of colors, your color studies read very real to me, with just the right amount of brushwork.
The skeleton hockey player is just wonderfully cute!
The fantasy illustration - if you plan on continuing it - could use some more color and lighting work to make it feel more tangible. The clothing design is very imaginative, in particular the belt and rope.
I'm glad!
Well I mean yeah, I'm just pointing out that right now there's no background, if I put a orange saturated color instead of the gray, I'm hoping the shadows that are now desaturated orange would look bluish by contrast. I kinda did that with the priest woman and the torches? To try it out, because I don't try it often, the top part of the dress is desaturated orange, but looks blue (you can color pick it if you like), well, at least that's how it looks on my end, hoping I have this correctly calibrated but I can't really say. Or I'm color blind! Ha, that would be a good punchline.

I should and would want to work that fantasy out better, I just feel the better approach now would be to plan the lighting better using 3D or something around my table (but I don't have that many light sources! So I guess 3D), and then see if I can use that as reference, I have never done it but reading Scott's How to Render and Gurney imaginative realism, that seems to be the way to go. Since I also have troubles with doing lighting from the top of my head, maybe that will help. I should try..

I'm really glad you are liking those details! I need to improve my design much more but I'm having fun trying crazy stuff like this, even on when later I feel it would be cumbersome to wear lol. But fun nonetheless!

(11-16-2019, 08:06 AM)jondawo Wrote: Hey, I really like your drawings. Your lines are nice and confident and feel like you're having fun.

I was looking at your recent illustration and maybe i'm overstepping here but I thought I'd try painting over it just to try and define your lightsources a bit more clearly. Maybe I got a little carried away with it. All I really did was follow through on the light sources you already showed in your initial drawing and tried to make sure the forms were being lit appropriately. Maybe you can get something out of it.

Heya! Many yhanks for the aid and suggestion! I took a good look at it and I feel I'm not heading into that direction, mainly I wouldn't want each light to be their own localized section, but rather have like a main soft white/skylight all around? Softbox or so, then the green or be very subtle, decay quickly and the background torches just be there for rim light and background separation/contrast. The reason is that I want a sort of pleasing, serene, look to it, and a slightly cheerful undertone? But with your suggestion it looks very dramatic, and moody, almost goes into villain spooky tones! Which is cool, but I don't want that focus for this one, nonetheless quite useful to see the effects choice of lighting have on a piece. Thanks again!

(11-19-2019, 09:45 AM)Jephyr Wrote: That makes sense.  I'll b e a little more liberal with my opinions then.

I f you want to check out an awesome Brunet speed paint here ya go. 

I just looked at Flores on ArtStation—thanks for letting me know about him.

I'm kinda torn in the same way.  I want to do graphic novels, animations/videos, 2D and 3dArt, painting, sculpture, and carving etc.  I need 10 life times to do it all!

Anyway—love the new stuff.  The cartoony images are very cool although I'm partial to the first and third.

The development of the fantasy piece looks very good.  Are you cropping it off to share it here?  Right now it seems like it's cramped—especially at the top.

Anyway—keep up the great work!

I know that feeling quite well, I started like that, started with drawing then moved onto 3D for a while, done a bit of animation recently, more painting on the side for years, I also have the urge at times to switch mediums, got into pencils, pens or even try clay sculpting (I haven't yet). On one hand is good to see a bit of everything to see what clicks and how it influences what we do, but on the other if you don't pick one then you can't really shine I guess. So long you are happy on each step then it should be fine right? Or maybe we should break for impact... ha!

What do you don't like about the second one compared with the others? Can be useful to know.

No, I work on the same canvas all the time, then just use the space however I see on the moment, but yeah composition is not something I pay enough attention at times! For instance I did one recently, see below, with the dude running, I feel there's too much empty/background space with the water, either adding other things or cropping it would be more interesting. But that's kind of the point of doing it like this! Fail, see what you don't like, remember or change it. Keep the record. Do something different next time.

(11-19-2019, 12:29 PM)Demon Lizardman Wrote: Dude, do you have a link to a blog or instagram? Love your line and inkwork. It's got a very fluid and fun style to it.

Heya! I sadly don't! Yet, I was thinking maybe starting one out for a while at least, but, as I keep commenting on many places I just prefer a smaller number of people to see whatever I do and leave feedback I can chew on rather than going for followers or likes, I don't think those are gonna help me to improve or see what I do good and what I don't.
Thanks man! Oh, btw I used one of the pictures from your recent studies for one of mine, didn't go all too well ha! But I wanted to give it a shot, I'm on a painting spree as of late, but I need to stop eyeballing and measure better. Anyhow, really liked the original shot! I'll comment more in depth on your SB about your stuff asap.

So I've been jumping around pages and not hitting my goalpost this past 2 weeks, mainly I tried to focus on doing studies. 
I have a long one started out, that I keep on working 1-2h a day, then I have a page with sketches of characters sitting that I'm still trying to figure out the details or how to build them up. So very rough, still hanging in the wind. I did some portraits, which I utterly failed by not measuring properly, I guess I need to work on that (strong emphasize) and I did most recently a page with the theme running. Still plenty things to work on on this one.
So all in all, a bunch of sand and barely any salt! Ha. That ain't gonna go well with my soup... sandy soup. Back into the trenches.

Messages In This Thread
Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Rotohail - 10-06-2019, 06:54 PM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Leo Ki - 10-07-2019, 09:52 AM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by DK - 10-07-2019, 12:04 PM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by DK - 10-08-2019, 09:55 AM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Leo Ki - 10-08-2019, 11:19 AM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Leo Ki - 10-10-2019, 12:13 PM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Leo Ki - 10-11-2019, 01:05 PM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Leo Ki - 10-12-2019, 09:33 AM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Leo Ki - 10-15-2019, 11:12 AM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Leo Ki - 10-16-2019, 08:14 AM
RE: Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook - by Leo Ki - 10-18-2019, 10:23 AM