How to add more impact?
Adam hey!

I'm pretty much a noob here, but I'll go ahead and give my two cents and hope, that at some level, I can help you a little. From looking at what you've done, I believe you have a lot of the necessary skills to achieve your goal! So the first thing I would like to address is composition. This is something that I'm still struggling with, and I think this really just takes practice and in a lot of cases it helps to look at others' work to see how they achieve a certain 'feel' or emotion with their compositions.

For example, you want the tree golem to be imposing, and invoking fear on the little traveler beneath him. When I look at this, I feel being closer to the traveler and looking up with him towards the sky at this looming beast, would convey that emotion best (empathy). So with that said, your horizon line would probably be low, almost head to head with the character, but you would be looking up at this huge looming creature as debris, and swamp crap falls from arms/limbs. I dunno, what do you, or anyone else think about what I've said?

As for your third image; is the creature supposed to be aggressive, or is he just a sick twisted little thing designed to creep out and 'eat' you? Lets see... Let's say he's aggressive and he's exposing himself to go on the offensive. You want him leaning forward and you want him to look imposing as if he's moving in on you. Right now he's just chillin' near a wall flashing his insides like some creeper with a straight jacket and no underwear. ;) If you want him to creep us all out... well, I can't say for sure, but twist him up a little... make him appear more unnatural...

Regardless your stuff looks great, and I see little 'wrong' with the images. I just think working out different compositions before you do your final painting will help in this regard. Ummm... Watch how this guy starts out his sketches in the initial part of this video if you're not familiar with what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIkCNCeYy_s

Finally... your first image. From what you've given me, the one thing I think of doing here, is treating the flames as primary lighting sources since you're going for a more dramatic feel... Basically use the form you've already created, and use the light cast from the flames to illuminate and shadow the figure. As for any better suggestions, I leave that to the more experienced here... so I defer it all on them.

Hope I helped, and sorry for being so long winded. Keep it up, and don't quit! =D

CG

Messages In This Thread
How to add more impact? - by AdamMiconi - 11-06-2012, 02:05 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by zeiram3f - 11-06-2012, 03:51 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by AdamMiconi - 11-06-2012, 04:43 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by zeiram3f - 11-06-2012, 07:01 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by AdamMiconi - 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by Markdotea - 11-06-2012, 04:03 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by zeiram3f - 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by AdamMiconi - 11-07-2012, 03:09 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by Amit Dutta - 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM
RE: How to add more impact? - by AdamMiconi - 11-16-2012, 02:27 AM