Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
@Adam Lina

thanks for always stopping by my page! I appreciate it!

When I'm looking at your work, I notice that you have a good eye for details and are fairly proficient at drawing... and looking between your recent drawings and paintings, I think you might be thinking more about shape language than form. Your painting studies look really nice, but I worry that they read better because you're good at copying shape masses versus actually understanding the form. i see in your shaded figure studies, too, that you seem to be drawing out the light mass shape vs the shadow mass shape, and you're missing some of the finer details like form overlap in either of those regions.

i think anything that gets you thinking about how form turns in space, over just copying images to study will help you out. Perhaps studying from images and doing the line work as well as imaginary cross-contours to describe the form. Maybe even primitive (sphere, cylinder, cube) studies.

After form, the other big thing I notice in your work is that often your figures are disbalanced, the torso often feels too big and cumbersome for legs that don't seem to carry the form's weight. It's only slight, but considering how the weights of each form relates to each other will strengthen your work a lot. Without it, your nice detailed line sketches are flattening out and seeming two dimensional.

I can see that you're working really hard and doing a lot of studies, that's great! For now I think your battle is to do more thinking while you study, considering the physical nature of what you're drawing more than the visual nature.

Keep up the hard work, I look forward to seeing more!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Sean McCLain - 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Vicianus - 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM