Sketchbook & Progess Log - The journey is the reward!
Ah man, your character art is SO good… both paintings and sketches! Don’t worry about disappointing people when you are more loose with sketching or reducing time, we’re all here to learn right? :)
One method to get over perfectionism might be this: Dedicate some time just for this, i.e. 30 or 60 minutes in the morning (or whatever fits your schedule), take some cheap paper and a pencil or maybe even a pen. Then draw, either just from imagination, or from reference, that’s really up for you… but focus on speed, not making it pretty. Pen helps because you can’t erase anyway…
Do these sketches in the mindset that you’ll throw these pages away afterwards without showing anyone - if some turn out nice, you can still scan and keep them, but that’s not the goal. The goal is learning and studying without worrying what the result looks like. Another thing to do is timed gestures from reference - if your image disappears after 60 seconds, you have no chance to spend more time on them than that! Of course, this will teach you different things than longer studies - it’s a different kind of study. But both the „I’m gonna throw these away“ and the timed gestures (with pen) were exercises that helped me a lot getting a bit looser (and learn to love sketching in pen, even if it doesn’t look good… yet!).

Keep it up :) I hope your wisdom teeth will stop bothering you...

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sketchbook & Progess Log - The journey is the reward! - by Lyraina - 06-27-2015, 05:29 AM