Getting the illusion of roundness?
Unfortunately I don't have a tutorial at hand, and maybe not a real explanation, but it might help you a little!

The overlap is very important indeed, as it helps establishing the "layers" of your drawing, like skin, then first layer of clothing, second layer of clothing etc. However, equally important is, that the lines on your drawing follow the underlying form. For example, if you are working out the folds in your clothing, you always have to keep in mind how the body underneath looks.
I think the weight also adds a lot to this feeling of dimensionality, as the figures seem to occupy a certain space on the paper, and they give off a feeling of "having a volume".
If you do studies, most of these things will come into your work by experience, I guess (:

As for the line weight, yes, it can help add a little feeling of depth to your work. For example, things that are near to the viewer can get a bit more thicker outlines, while things that are a bit more in the background should have thinner outlines - this sometimes helps the overall perspective of an artwork.
Also, line weight is a good means to emphasize little shadowy areas. If you look at this work by Kim JungGi, for example, you can see how slightly thicker outlines in the hair and suit jacket help a bit at adding depth. You can also see how the lines of the clothing describe the form beneath, so that it takes up volume in space.
I hope this helps a bit!

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook

Messages In This Thread
RE: Getting the illusion of roundness? - by Cyprinus - 09-01-2015, 06:50 AM