how to study digital painting?
Hello guys! I do not know if this question has been asked, but there you go ... What is the best way to study digital painting? Is there any method or order?

I practice painting almost two years and feel that I reached a level that can no longer evolve .. is attached one of my paintings so that they can get a sense of basic knowledge I have.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm not very good at digital painting, but from a simple art point of view, I'd be trying to glaze, - like you do with oil paintings, if you are going for that realism, so that you have an element of light passing through things, and have a look at your light source and the hue and saturation of your colours.

Thanks for the answer, do not understand almost nothing about traditional painting, but my focus is realism.
You know give me a point of how I could be improving my paintings? As much as I try to feel locked at this level.
Hello!
In my humble opinion, I would suggest to work on the structure and values. The painting you show is good but it feels a bit flat , pushing the values to show better structure would work for you.
You can read up on exercises that traditional painters do to improve their accuracy and their values, and try those studies by yourself, in digital if that's what you prefer.
thanks for the reply, I'm sure must instead work a little more with the values.
Im not great at painting but I'd say trying out some traditional. If only 3 color small acrylic paintings just to get a sense of whats its like. Its always good to try new mediums. Plus having the limited palette will force you to learn more then having the limitless options you have in digital.

(08-22-2015, 02:49 PM)Adam Lina Wrote: Im not great at painting but I'd say trying out some traditional. If only 3 color small acrylic paintings just to get a sense of whats its like. Its always good to try new mediums. Plus having the limited palette will force you to learn more then having the limitless options you have in digital.

Thanks for the tip partner, I never painted with traditional because have not understand the process and material that it would be better to work. For example, if I paint with acrylic paint that would have to be worked out in some sort of special role?

Honestly the best way to figure out how to paint, is to just play with the paint. All 3 mediums - acrylics, oils and watercolours work differently. You can mimic the effects of both oil and watercolours using acrylics mixed with mediums, but you still need to understand paint layering, working from light to dark (watercolours) or dark to light and how glazing works etc.
I'd recommend having a search on youtube for some basic painting tutorials and having a play with the paint, try some basic shapes or something.
You can apply pretty much all the techniques you learn traditionally with the digital medium and layers. I still find digital painting much more difficult because of that disconnect between the tablet and the screen, I prefer working traditionally because I have a much greater control over a paintbrush than I do the digital brushes, but if you can understand the theory behind traditional and shift it to digital I think it'll help.

Also, check out Sycra - this playlist and the one about colour https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...WqScFTRhtv

Quote:Thanks for the tip partner, I never painted with traditional because have not understand the process and material that it would be better to work. For example, if I paint with acrylic paint that would have to be worked out in some sort of special role?

Im not sure I understand what you're asking about special role. You can use acrylic on any surface pretty much. You wont want to use paper that will wrinkle up when it gets wet though. You can even get some cardboard or a piece of wood and paint on that. It doesnt have to be fancy. Just have fun with it, bro!

Exactly, I agree that digital seems much more difficult than traditional, but thank you, painting fundamentals is what I'm really seeking, these videos of "Sycra" will help a lot.

I disagree that digital is inherently more difficult, it's just a very different medium to get used to, and most people already have some experience with traditional when they make the move to digital, so they need to relearn a lot and are initially worse at digital, so it feels more difficult to them.

However, (and trust me, I'm speaking from experience) when you stick with digital only and don't touch a pencil for many years, you'll find traditional more difficult than digital once you start up with that again. Same thing happening from the opposite side. With a stylus I'm comfortable, with a pencil I feel like I'm being forced to draw with a broomstick. I'm pretty sure that keeping up with both skills will help your artistic development in the long run, but at first, it certainly can be frustrating.

In a way I agree with his words, much depends on the time you do with each tool. I particurlamente work with both tools, but have greater difficulty in tracing lines in digital, but when it comes to painting I feel safer because of the ease we have to undo and redo.