MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again
Better likenesses again esp that dude with the moustache but yeah I think you finally really do need to stop grinding on portraits so much at this point. They are one of the hardest things to get down well. I am STILL confused why and how far 'off' the first iterations of those portraits are. Why do you do that...what is the purpose of allowing yourself to be so sloppy? All you are training is how to draw sloppy shit. Calm down slow down. You really aren't taking advantage of the advice given in the discord and here so I hope you do change it up as you mentioned :)

Having said that the photos you are picking are not ideal. Use ones with one single light source that cast noticeable shadows across the forms, at first. You want to be able to see distinct shadows because that makes it easier to identify, map and then describe form easier. Here are some examples i save on pinterest..not all great but most follow that rule. https://pin.it/vpbvknrvnepez2

I like your dedication but it might be better to focus on the more fundamental things first..such as drawing basic primitive forms believably. Beginners often speed through the actual fundamentals exercises like a schizophrenic thinking just because they spent a bit of time on it they get it. You can see it is very common esp on this forum lol. I like that you aren't doing that but you will get more 'traction' by actually slowing down and training the basics first

You might want to consider online subscription to watts or NMA. Watts has structured basic exercises and video demos with a logical meaningful progression and challenge build up. and I think you would do better with at least some curriculum to follow even if not IRL

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - by Amit Dutta - 01-03-2019, 07:20 AM