Coby's sketch book

Followed James Zapata's Gumroad tut and other studies.

quick sketch and study dump

More study's/ Still life and some hands from a photo.

Attached Files Image(s)

Study
Nice volume of studies and work! Keep it uppp :)

@pnate thank you.

Some watercolors studies and some sketches.

Hey thanks for posting on my thread, you got some serious work in here, I love your studies, great thread, keep it up!!
Hey Chrisferz, Thanks.

More sketches I did earlier in the week a couple wips and some studies.

Whats up daggers? Just an update.
o___________o 
Lots of fascinating stuff in here, Coby! Must be all the experimentation that you do!

Those watercolour fishies are divine, btw <3 

I guess I would say to try and vary your edges to get a more solid form happening, as well as taking material properties into account and how light would react with them, like for example:

Did a quick paint over demo'ing some stuff. 

So I used a hard-edge brush and tried to give the figure a bit more "weight" and "solidness".

If you're painting an image that has fire in it, it's really hard for the image to *pop* if the canvas isn't a bit dark from the get-go. So, by adding a multiply layer and filling it with a darker colour, then linking a layer mask to the layer by clicking on the [  O  ] button on the layer toolbar and painting in black where I wanted to subtract darkness, I was quickly able to give the painting a bit more dimension.

In addition to this, I adjusted the levels to get rid of any 0% blacks that you had in your image prior. Also painted over some areas that were unnecessarily dark, like her hair. Try to make it a habit not to use anywhere below 10% black in your images (and the same goes with whites, no large areas with above 90% white. Peak highlights are fine, depending on how you use them), because you illustration will end up looking flat/lifeless.

Also, really try to think about an object and its property in regards to light. It helps a lot :D
Oh and also concentrate on where you light source is in the image and stick to it!

I hope this has helped in some way, just my two cents,

Keep up the hard work! o/!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
@smrr Thank you for the paintover and the input. I Struggled with this image allot. I have been having a hard time with lighting as you can see. The paintover helps greatly as I can see exactly what your talking about.
Nice ladies, enviro thumbnails have good colors.

@crackedskull Thank you. I need to do more thumbs more often.