personal D3 BANNER CRIT
IM looking for some feed back for my work in progress.
what I'm drawing is a FB banner of my D3 character fighting some soul lashers ( monster i hate)
I Like were I'm going with it but suggestions on composition, proportions, or something that looks off. or even some minor lighting adjustment.

Looking for possible improvements , why, and how to go about it.

[Image: fbcover5.jpg]
Hey Tk,

Your composition is ok but I think in general you should work with the shapes you have to create more depth. I did a really quick rough paintover to try and show what I mean.

Think about layering the creatures more by separating your forms to create depth, pick a focal point and be consistent in how the light sources light the characters. You have quite a lot of overlapping lines, so I created a bit of space between the main objects to separate them a bit more and show depth. Hope that helps

[Image: CrimsonDaggers_fb.jpg]

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
(07-19-2012, 07:57 PM)monkeybread Wrote: Hey Tk,

Your composition is ok but I think in general you should work with the shapes you have to create more depth. I did a really quick rough paintover to try and show what I mean.

Think about layering the creatures more by separating your forms to create depth, pick a focal point and be consistent in how the light sources light the characters. You have quite a lot of overlapping lines, so I created a bit of space between the main objects to separate them a bit more and show depth. Hope that helps

[Image: CrimsonDaggers_fb.jpg]

thanks i appreciate it , i have a question if for people out there or yourself. i know of the black foreground to white background concept for depth. but im not sure how to apply it and you seem to know. any pointer?
Quote:thanks i appreciate it , i have a question if for people out there or yourself. i know of the black foreground to white background concept for depth. but im not sure how to apply it and you seem to know. any pointer?

Well I guess the basic rules on creating depth or atmospheric perspective are :
  • Objects closer to you are darker, more saturated and have more detail
  • Objects become lighter, less saturated and show less detail and contrast the further away they are
  • Overlap objects: closer objects will appear to be in front of objects further away
  • Relative scale in perspective: Similar sized objects will appear smaller as they recede
  • cold colours tend to push things back, warm colours push them forward.

These are good general things to think about when constructing your scenes. I'd recommend doing small composition thumbnails for each piece you are planning, where you play with simple flat shaded shapes, using a restricted range of 5-7 values from dark to light without using pure black or pure white except for the smallest accents. I'd also really recommend that you work only in grayscale in the earlier stages.
Throwing colour into things can make working with values harder. Colours do also change in saturation and tone with distance...too many things to juggle with!

Check out a couple of awesome Michael Whelan pieces that demonstrate all the above. These are both landscapes but generally these principles can be applied to any piece

[Image: michael_whelan_desktop_1226x792_hd-wallpaper-458603.jpg]
[Image: renegade.jpg]

Hope that helps!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta