One Year for a skill, One Year to get Real
Hello !

I'm here thanks to one of the member from here - Sickbrush! Thank You so much. I will takie this chance to kick my butt.

The title of this topic is because I need to practice. I want to give myself a whole year to learn some skills (later I'll write them down). I don't want to worry about makin portfolio pieces. Only learn to be better at digital painting and concept design.
And saying that i mean:
- ligtning
- color
- environment
- characters

This will be my fields of interest.

After this one year of practice I want to make as many finished, portfolio pieces as I can.

I think this can be a good plan. Maybe I need to be more precise at goals.

Maybe someone can share with me some thoughts? :)
Welcome :D

Post some work so we can see where you are at now

Learning environments and characters simultaneously seem hard. I would recommend splitting the two subjects apart from each other and then go back and attempt compositions with both.

good luck!
Okay, I will take that tip from You :) Enviro is also tottally new topic for me.

Today probably I will create topic with my works.
If you want, I would suggest something like this:

I want to learn environmets:
Environments have-
Perspective (possibly largest challenge for beginners of environments)
Composition (leading the eye through your environment)
Depth (foreground, middleground, background)
Mood
Color & Light (hint: James Gurney)
Atmosphere
Scale, and scale-objects (a figure, that does not contend with the environment if the environment is the focus, man made things, animals, etc. Things that we already as the viewer know the scale of)

Now, not all environments use every single one in an overtly obvious way, but all use them to some degree. Knowing this, I would study each subject independently, and then every so often apply all that you know to a new composition.

Some masters, or schools thereof:
Impressionists (the above subjects, simplified)
Hudson River School

and of course, post progress :D
Hey!

Yes, maybe my goals are too much general :) Thank You for writning down specifics :)
As a matter of fact enviro is difficult topic for me so I need to take this step by step as You wrote.
Thanks for some recomendations :)
I think not all practice will be done digitally. I will train my skill in traditional media also.

So now moving to sketchbook topic, where I will show how I progress.
Good luck :)

If you're interested in environments, then there will be a new challenge posted soon.

I think your goals make sense. The important thing is that you know exactly what specific things you need to study to get to the point that you want to be at. I get not wanting to post them here. But, maybe posting them in the public would force you to stick with them too though...some ppl I have seen on here, update this post with their workings to show that they are working and progessing on their goals.
Hey :)
Yea, that make sense to post progress. In my case my goals are too general maybe. After I will be precise more i would change my first post. So I would do like - how many hour daily I practice or how amny and what work I do.
I should think of that.

Mannequin's Blog :)

Mannequin's CD sketchbook

Deviantart - Add me to Friend list :)

Looking forward to seeing it happen! ;)