A vagabond's sketchbook
^ this 100%. The best way to learn how to render realistically is to tons of studies of realistic lighting and materials. It's funny how in spite of it being the fastest way, we all kind of are reluctant to sit down and actually give it a shot, ha.

thanks everybody on the input.I'll start doing some studies on that shortly.

thumbnail practice before bed.Tommorow- renderring studies. :I

Attached Files Image(s)

practicing rendering from Sickbrush's class assignment

For the most part these turned out really well, man. There are some hard edges missed, mainly in the ambient occlusion, as well as some slight color shifts that you didn't put in ( some warmth in the second photo isn't in your painting). But I can tell you paid close attention to the textures of the objects, as well as the lighting. Good work!

Thanks.I plan on doing more later on but for now I wanna finnish this painting.
mr.Warren was gracious enough to give me some critique on the jugger piece so now I reworked it and I reffed some Veronese.Amazing artist, I should do a master study on him soon too.

WIP

started to render out a char sketch I did.Trying to figure out something for the Summer Pitch thingy.Also Im experiencing trouble of finding nice grandmaster paintings to study from in terms of action and composition.Mostly about scenery I suppose.Most things I find are usually concentrated on figures.

These last few are turning out interesting, man. Hope to see you complete them.

I did complete em but i don't submit complete stuff on here. Usually on my DA or my facebook page.
With that said...im trying to do a portret for a change.And get out of my comfort zone....even if it's not by too much....still alotta WIP

Attached Files Image(s)

Worked a bit more on that mofo...Im having some issues with the mid plane of the guy ...or rather the "inbetween" light n dark space.Like the middle of his forehead,nose and the armor ...yadda yadda bim bam BOOM.I tried to refference on of those Asaro head things but I think Im retarded as to I don't see how to apply it properly.so any help is welcome really.

Attached Files Image(s)

it's been a while since I've done one of those studies.they are fun and frustrated at the same time.

Attached Files Image(s)

Composition and color studies.
Helped me find ALOT of old masters I haven't even heard of.
Im inlove with Falero Paintings now

Attached Files Image(s)

First try on a mech ever.
Obviously it's quite shitty lol

Attached Files Image(s)

You are doing great. Keep on working.

(07-20-2013, 04:21 PM)Rindoukan Wrote: Worked a bit more on that mofo...Im having some issues with the mid plane of the guy ...or rather the "inbetween" light n dark space.Like the middle of his forehead,nose and the armor ...yadda yadda bim bam BOOM.I tried to refference on of those Asaro head things but I think Im retarded as to I don't see how to apply it properly.so any help is welcome really.

The hair I would just rough in some different clumps of hair in diff directions so it is kind of messy or not uniform. if your having trouble still just pull up some ref. Just take your time and render it out. As far as the lighting it looks like maybe if you just simplified to planes it would help with areas like the forehead. if the light is from the left or three quarters i would let the shadow on the forehead read as less rounded and more as a flat surface in a uniform shadow or darker plane. Hope this helps, really cool work though!

welll...I tried...now back to studyin

Attached Files Image(s)

another set of master studies

Attached Files Image(s)

The mech turned out cool, and I really like the colors in it. What would help create a sense of depth and scale is to use atmospheric perspective to separate your foreground character from this seemingly large mech in the midground. Right now, since the two share the same contrast they seem to be right next to each other.

selfie study b4 bed.Gnight dagger bro's

Attached Files Image(s)

trying to keep with doing different stuff

Attached Files Image(s)