Darren's Sketchbook
It's been a while! I tend to be a flake with my sporadic resolutions. Much like my first ever post, saying I was going to post here everyday, or my more recent one about doing still lives every morning. So no more resolutions. Just painting. Comments of any sort are welcome.

Here are some studies I've done recently (none done before February)

I've been doing studies of portraits in order to improve my portrait painting, as lately, i've been frustrated with my self-perceived lack of improvement. I've resolved to do a month of dedicated portrait practice, but no promises, haha.

And also something I was working on today. A wip of a study that i'll complete later. I figure since this thing was giving me hell, it can only help if I finish it.

And a piece from imagination that I'll probably finish. I like the values and composition right now, but after fixing the anatomy and adding color, it may no longer work for me. I'll have to work on it a bit more to be sure.

Attached Files Image(s)

Lots of nice work here. Those mouths are delicious. And the expression of the girl cutting her hair is great! In the last piece, I think you could probably have pushed the value range a bit more. Don't be scared of going too dark :) Keep up the good work and keep on updating :P

Ahah, I understand your feeling.
You plan on doing "this much" and you end up doing nothing.
It happened to me so many times.
Actually, it happened friday when I said on my sketchbook I would end my day doing speed studies, which I obviously did not do :B.
(for y defense I ended up watching some tutorials!)

Nice studies, very clean brushwork !
Paint for fun, and if you feel you're ready to set some deadlines, go on !

Thanks for the tip Jaik! Yeah while doing these studies today I noticed that I was really hesitant to add in the darks.

And thanks for the advice Fincks, i've decided to set goals for myself daily. Instead of "Do X every monday, X every tuesday" or whatever, I'll just study what I feel I need to work on at the moment.

Here's what i've gotten so far.

Some personal work and a few face studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

Your portraits will gain more life if you could introduce more hues on the skin :) http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.de/2008/05...-face.html

Thanks for the tip Madzia! I gave it a shot today. I like the way it came out, but I won't trust my judgment until tomorrow. I'm sure I can push the yellows/reds/blues further so i'll focus on that the next time I do a portrait study.

So yeah, for today I studied the muscles of the torso. I did front and back studies of the skeletal structure and the muscles. All those studies are in my sketchbook though, i'll post them tomorrow!

And I also did a paint study, made it fanart to keep it fun for myself.

Attached Files Image(s)

Haha, I may have to repaint that Vegeta...

Here are some pencil anatomy studies that I didn't get around to posting yet,

and some stuff i'm working on for the Bloodsport 3 community challenge!
Let's see if I finish it. That'd be neat.

Attached Files Image(s)

More Bloodsports Reborn 3 stuff and a daily spitpaint!

Attached Files Image(s)