Styles' Grimoire of Art Magic
Welcome

.........................................................................................................
my first "painting"

[Image: spellbound.jpg]

my painting a month later!

[Image: havoc.jpg]

i havent been able to paint for a while because i broke my left arm while rollerblading and my right wrist while breakdancing...then my computer started swithing off by itself :(....now i just paint, computer turns off, i lose an hour of work and try again. Bomb

[Image: orcwarcopy.jpg]

[Image: postapocaliticoncopy.jpg]

My Sketchbook

I shall live forever or die trying.
Hey man, you got some decent works here, I do notice the improvement. However, regardless if you are drawing anime/manga type works or realistic works, I'd suggest doing some anatomical studies or perhaps look into books from Loomis (an author of several books on the structure of the body). Also, I'd suggest before doing color, try doing studies from images or life (recommended) in gray scale (black, white, all shades in between) it'll help you get a solid foundation on composition. Anyway, that's my advice, hope to see some improvement soon, keep it up! And try to draw everyday or as much as you can on your free time. Look forward to seeing more soon.
(01-20-2013, 04:22 AM)Majinpower Wrote: Hey man, you got some decent works here, I do notice the improvement. However, regardless if you are drawing anime/manga type works or realistic works, I'd suggest doing some anatomical studies or perhaps look into books from Loomis (an author of several books on the structure of the body). Also, I'd suggest before doing color, try doing studies from images or life (recommended) in gray scale (black, white, all shades in between) it'll help you get a solid foundation on composition. Anyway, that's my advice, hope to see some improvement soon, keep it up! And try to draw everyday or as much as you can on your free time. Look forward to seeing more soon.

thx, i still don´t get how the tablet works...my drawings looks fine on paper..but i can´t get a single line straight on the tablet...and when i study i usually paint in black and white and add color later.

My Sketchbook

(01-21-2013, 09:52 PM)vansty Wrote:
(01-20-2013, 04:22 AM)Majinpower Wrote: Hey man, you got some decent works here, I do notice the improvement. However, regardless if you are drawing anime/manga type works or realistic works, I'd suggest doing some anatomical studies or perhaps look into books from Loomis (an author of several books on the structure of the body). Also, I'd suggest before doing color, try doing studies from images or life (recommended) in gray scale (black, white, all shades in between) it'll help you get a solid foundation on composition. Anyway, that's my advice, hope to see some improvement soon, keep it up! And try to draw everyday or as much as you can on your free time. Look forward to seeing more soon.

thx, i still don´t get how the tablet works...my drawings looks fine on paper..but i can´t get a single line straight on the tablet...and when i study i usually paint in black and white and add color later.

Don't worry about it, you'll learn it soon enough, I just got used to digital myself and have only had my tablet for about a month or so, but the more and more you practice with it the better you'll get, guaranteed. And good, keep doing studies in black and white, look forward to seeing them as well as some pencil sketches if you can. Keep at it man!
hahaha just found a bunch of my older stuff...while i suck now, i suck waay less than before.

[Image: os.jpg]

[Image: halo.jpg]

[Image: theangel3.jpg]

[Image: chicken.jpg]

[Image: orochi.jpg]

My Sketchbook

a portrait thing, i wish i had a scanner so i could put my studies on here Impressed

[Image: Untitled-1copy.jpg]

My Sketchbook

Lots of improvement there! The dragon has a great dramatic pose and good setting. One thing I notice is that you might want to try using a greater range of light/dark values. Especially the darker ones.

Loomis explains a lot about how values work in different books.

One exercise that might help you see how they are used is to open up a few pieces of art by artists you admire in photoshop. Look at them in black and white, and even try a heavy gaussian blur filter to help you see light and dark masses.

This tutorial is kind of advanced for both of us, but it explains how carefully used values can enhance your artwork: http://www.imaginefx.com/022877543329001...alues.html

Sketchbook

hey vantsy!
wow, great work on the monster with all the snake heads. that thing's intense!
same for the dragon pic : )
i agree with tygerson, having a bigger range of lights and darks can help bring more sense of depth into your pictures.
real sorry to hear about your broken bones, that's terrible.
at least, the only thing i can suggest, is to get into the habit of always saving your work every five minutes with control+S. its become such a habit to me i often do it way too often, every few minutes if im feeling jittery, haha

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche
(01-21-2013, 09:52 PM)vansty Wrote: thx, i still don´t get how the tablet works...my drawings looks fine on paper..but i can´t get a single line straight on the tablet...and when i study i usually paint in black and white and add color later.

Hold down shift when using a brush to draw a horizontal or vertical line to make it straight.

To make a straight diagonal with a brush, click, then hold down shift and click again to make a line between two points. (If the pressure sensitivity makes it fade out too fast, use the mouse.)

You'll get used to it soon enough!

Sketchbook

@ask9 yep ctrl+s has been saving me lately.
@Tygerson Thx for the tip :) didnt known that.

lets see if i can find some studies to post.

studies yay :)

[Image: tomdref.jpg]

i gave up half way on this one

[Image: amourref.jpg]

self potrait attempt :(

[Image: selfpotrait.jpg]

My Sketchbook

Armor looks good--yay for shiny, contrasty metal! The arm hanging down might be a little long--the wrist is usually about at the same level as the crotch if the arm is straight.

You captured a very thoughtful look in your self portrait. Well done! You've improved drastically since the previous portrait.

Sketchbook

Thx Tygerson yeah the armor got on my nerve and that arm was what was left so i bullshited it xD
i will be doing more metal studies today.

my stuff is looking a bit beter because i completely stopped adding color.

My Sketchbook

this was actually fun to do.
[Image: huntercopy.jpg]

My Sketchbook

i´ll need to redo this later
[Image: murderer-1.jpg]

My Sketchbook

some color Studies
[Image: knightcopy.jpg]

[Image: mazou.jpg]

My Sketchbook

I really need to get a scanner. i haven´t been able to do digital stuff for a while.

My Sketchbook

working on metal

[Image: workingonmetalcopy.jpg]

My Sketchbook

Have you checked this site out yet? http://ctrlpaint.com/library
It's awesome, especially when you're just starting out. I'd really recommend these vids (:
Don't forget the loomis studies, both those and the vids will be worth the effort (:
Never stop drawing (:
Cheers!

Hey Budgie, yeah i´ve been around ctrl+paint for some months now...i don´t like the way he "paints" but the fundamental videos are great.
i´ve been studying loomis for a couple of weeks now, dont feel like i´ve learnt much but that just means i need to study more.
thanks for the feedback :)

My Sketchbook

Draw from big shapes to small, for example the metal you drawn have unnecessary scratches when edges aren't defined. Anyway you can check http://livestre.am/1fJHl Dave Rapoza livestream around 45min he explains scratches on metal :)
Awesome progress with drawing hope to see much more of your works soon!